on 7 April 2017
Brilliant YA fantasy, much better than I expected given the poor quality of many free e-books out there, or the 'freebies' that are really just the first few chapters and you have to pay for the rest.
I was a fan of Selina's colouring books and bought the Victorian Romance book - well, in order to colour them correctly I had to get to know the characters didn't I?! And a free full length book?!
The series is very well written and fast paced, with engaging characters who I actually wanted to get to know better. I am 37 and am into fantasy/paranormal genres, and don't set much by 'recommended reading age' with books, but there is a tendency for some teenage heroines to get a tad annoying and whiny - a bit like the real thing I suppose but it gets tiring to read for the umpteenth time (I went on to read the Alyson Noel Immortals series after this, and the characters really started annoying me by the 3rd book!). I don't know whether this is tempered with Memory's Wake because it is written in 3rd person and we visit pretty much all the major characters to get an insight into their thoughts, instead of the favoured 1st person teenage heroine in YA where you are stuck in one persons head for the whole book! Anyway, Memory herself is a great character who I could easily read more about, with a nice streak of sarcasm I can definitely relate to.
The stories are set in the fantasy world of Avall, and feature magic, faes, and dragons, castles and beautiful dresses but I do have to say, no unicorns! Maybe next time. I don't want to give anything away about the plot really, but Selina manages to fit in romance, unexpected relatives, amnesia, sexual abuse survivors, a murder mystery, nasty fairies... oh an a hot guy running around the woods dressed in fur and leather. Seriously, it's free, you should download it just for him! Plus there are Selina's fabulous paintings in the book, on my kindle I obviously didn't get to see them in colour but they are still gorgeous.
Memory's Wake is the first in a trilogy but really they are all one story. It says a lot that as soon as I finished this book I downloaded Hope's Reign and started reading that straightaway. And once I finished the series I went back and read from the beginning again to pick up the clues that I missed the first time round. Selina, I can only say I want more from Avall, please.
on 15 March 2017
Being a fan of Selina Fenech's artwork I was excited to learn she was also a writer. Memory's Wake is definitely going to be in my top 3 fantasy series and I've only just finished the first book. The plot is great and exciting and I loved how it built, revealing more about the brilliantly written characters, brought even more to life by Selina's beautiful illustrations! Can't wait there's the rest of the series! An amazing book and I highly recommend! :D
on 13 February 2017
Loooooooooved it! Absolutely riveting from page 1. Bought nrs 2 and 3 too. Unputdownable!
on 4 May 2015
It was a bit slow initially but I gradually got into the story. Not usually one to read YA novels but it was ok and I liked the pictures.
on 31 March 2015
Don't know why but I could not get into this book .stopped reading after a few chapters might try reading it another tie
on 30 March 2015
I have been a fan of the author's artwork for ages. Selina mentioned that she had some novels out, so there were freebie offers as I got the book on kindle to make up the trilogy. I just downloaded them as they were there. Last week i travelled down to Edinburgh and started reading this book. I was so encrossed that the time passed quickly.

I am sure you will see other synopsis of the storyline, but Selina is a superb author and artist, just make sure you read the book undisturbed, I can't say more good things about the book.
on 26 February 2015
I really enjoyed this, more than I thought I would to be honest. I started reading it knowing nothing about it aside from the gorgeous artwork. I have been a fan of Selina's art for a while and chose to give it a try because of both my love of her as an artist, and the amount of time and dedication that has clearly gone into it (just look at the facebook page). I expected an enjoyable light fantasy but it went beyond that. While being an easy going read, I found the plot to be really in depth and full of surprises. The characters all really grew on me and I love that the relationships go beyond forced romance. It was really refreshing to see friendship and family above bad romances and fan service. Overall it is really well balanced with good pacing and I would happily recommend it. I'm very much looking forward to reading the next one and seeing more of Memory and Eloryn.
on 13 April 2014
I did not think that this book would be very good as the author is such a fantastic artist, so I was surprised to find that I could not put it down! It is excellent for anybody who loves fantasy writing at it's very best. And it is beautifully illustrated as well.
on 9 January 2014
If you love fantasy then this is a book for you. It has everything you want from a brilliant read, it's well written, it has humour, it has a sassy teenager but above all you get truly immersed in the story. I was a bit sceptical when I first downloaded this book, I think because it only had seven reviews but after reading it I honestly can't see why more people haven't read it/left a review because I have read books written by well know authors with hundreds of reviews and they are no way near as good as this book. Give it a go I very much doubt you will be disappointed.
on 3 September 2013
I received this book in exchange for an honest review.

We meet Memory or Mem, waking from unconsciousness after having a real bad nightmare or was it? Memory meets Eloryn who she thinks is a Ghost girl. Memory cant remember anything of who she is, where she from, what her name is-which is why Eloryn gives her the name Memory. Memory is dressed completely different from Eloryn. Eloryn tells Memory if she helps her find Alward, she will help her get her Memory's back.

The girls have a long and difficult journey ahead of them. And have to decide who they can trust? Will after everything they go through, will Memory take the chance of getting her memory back even the bad ones?

I loved this book. I loved everything about it, especially the pictures. I felt like a little girl again reading about fairies and magic. This book was amazing. I loved the cover, the blurb, everything was right about this book. I loved how Eloryn and Memory's relationship changed. It kept me enthralled all the way through.