Shop now Shop now</arg> Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Listen with Amazon Music Unlimited Shop now Shop now

on 3 September 2011
Unlike most of the other Studio Ghibli scores, by regular Ghibli musician Joe Hisaishi, this is a very unique and incredibly beautfiul, lilting score by French musician Cecil Corbel, and composer Simon Caby.

Blending together Cobel's Bretonne influences, and traditonal Irish dance, this powerhouse score and the sublime yet incredibly lyrical songs are wonderfully combined here, to provide a very unique, and very un-Ghibli like soundtrack, that is far better than you might have expected.

If you've seen the film - and if not, why not? - then you will instantly recognise the Opening Titles song "Our House Below" and "The Neglected Garden" (Tracks 2 and 1 respectively on the album). Corbel's genteel vocals really bring the score to life, and along with the jawdroppingly sensual visuals of the movie, they provoke a longing to regress back to childhood times, when life was more innocent.

Simply put, this is as evocative a score as any I've heard in a long time. Don't be put off by the fact that Hisaishi isn't composing this time around. A score that will instantly transport you back to the first time you watched this lovely and heart-wrenching film! Simply gorgeous!
on 17 October 2011
First, it`s from a Studio Ghibli motion picture. Even if that`s not enough for you to regard it as a masterpiece I may tell you it`s one of the best pieces of music my young ears have ever heard. It simply makes me shiver. I really love that part of the day when I just sit in front of my desk drawing with this stunning and splendid music in my ears. There are in particular 4 themes I keep humming in my head and that I will bring in my heart forever. A must have.
on 27 October 2011
The sound track is just awesome. Sends my kids (3 daughters under four) to sleep every quickly - very relaxing and chilled out music.

Best Gibli soundtrack ever, and after checking out this french ladies other albums, She's amazing.

Only problem is the disk got scratched after being listened to every day for about 3 weeks so I need to buy another now - should have ripped it first.
on 21 December 2015
I loved the movie, so of course I had to buy the soundtrack for my iPhone and my car. Is it worth the money it's displayed as...? Well, no, it could afford to be cheaper than it is, but I have no complaints about the price nonetheless. What I found disappointing about this, is that the English version of 'Arrietty's Song' does not appear on this soundtrack; the Japanese and French version appear (which are both respectably beautiful) but I'd like the English version.

Other than that, I love this soundtrack. It's phenomenal with a cup of tea and sounds of rain against your window -- it's magical, and it is certainly perfect for kids to enjoy. But, as a 19 year old; I love the soundtrack and it is great for my anxiety and depression. Would recommend.
on 12 October 2015
It's great to hear the soundtrack in full: it's chilled and mysterious and of course brings a little of the movie into the room. I don't pick up many soundtracks but this is distinctive enough and stands strong on its own, which is no small thing.
VINE VOICEon 16 June 2012
Who would have thought that the simple instrumentation of traditional Japanese music might blend so perfectly with celtic harp... well, its actually sort of obvious when you think about it (and in fact when I saw the film I thought I was listening to traditional japanese instruments), but then that's only the first step in path to the creation of this unusual and beautiful CD of music. Unless you're a Cecile Cobel fan, you're probably coming to this review as a Studio Ghibli fan, and you've probably seen the film, and already been enchanted by the use of the music featured on this CD. Nevertheless, I think its worth pointing out that the traditional/folk style of the music is supposed to fit in with the story of the film, which takes the City boy, Sho, to slow-moving, rural Japan where he meets Arriety. And of course it does so very well.

The celtic harp forms the backbone of this CD, and its a joy to hear it, with its clear, precise notes, and it is particularly effective in conveying the emotions of the sadder or more reflective pieces. Perfect to complement a film which is in essence all about pastoralism and the innocence of childhood, but has a fairly sad ending.

The music shifts in tone from celtic folk to traditional japanese, and occassionaly lilting towards light pop with the main theme songs "Arrietty's song" and "Our House Below". Its also worth mentioning that this CD has three versions of "Arrietty's song" - Instrumental, French and Japanese.

The sleeve notes also say that the tracks (apart from one version of "Our House Below") on the CD are not the same as the ones used in the film, which is probably a good thing. Each of the tracks is a complete instrumental pieace or a song. There are only three songs which feature vocals, all the other tracks are instrumentals, and Cecil Corbel's voice is of course as beautiful as her harp playing.

Definitely one of the best CDs I have in my collection, and something I can listen to over and over again for hours on end. Quite relaxing, reflective, and pastoral.
on 11 January 2013
I loved the music when I first saw the movie at the cinema a few months back. Seeing the film again on Channel 4 over Christmas prompted me to buy the CD soundtrack and I wasn't disappointed. I'd never heard of Cecile Corbin before but now I certainly want to check out more of her music. Her music is somewhere between the Celtic folk of Cara Dillon and the ethereal songs of Loreena McKennitt. Enchanting stuff..
I'd give this 5 stars if only the English language version of Arietty's Song was included. A small point however as the Japanese and French versions are both beautiful (as is the instrumental version).
on 22 February 2012
I am a huge fan of Studio Ghibli films so I was definitely looking forward to seeing their latest creation - Arrietty. They have gone with a new Director and a new composer. Joe Hisashi, the composer for other Studio Ghibli films, does terrific work but I have to say Cécile Corbel did a beautiful job here. The music captures the imagination, painting colours and telling the story. I love have she did both the Japanese and French versions of the main song. She has a haunting quality with a bit of an impishness added to her voice and music. I will definitely be recommending both the film Arrietty and it's soundtrack to my family & friends. Try it out!
All of the tracks on this album have a nice relaxing feel too them, very easy listening, some have an Irish music vibe to them and if you're a fan of Cecile Corbel then you will definitely like this album, personally I have never heard of this person until I saw Arrietty and am glad they chose her to do the music, if they hadn't.... I might not of ever been given the opportunity to listen to such wonderful artist.

This really is a must have for any Cecile Corbel or Studio Ghibli.
on 24 May 2012
Simply fantastic!! I loved the movie and thought the soundtrack was gorgeous, I got this CD and now I just can't stop listening to it. Cecile Corbel music and voice go straight to the soul, I think it is a perfect match with the magic atmosphere of the movie. I do recommend this item, both to Miyazaki fans and to Celtic music lovers.