on 13 October 2012
Bought this for mostly for walking, it's still early days but so far I cannot fault it.

It is very well built and bigger than it looks in the pictures, overall 5 3/4" x 3" x 1 1/2", it has a 4" screen, that is overall 3 1/2" x 2", much bigger than the Satmap gps screen, it is the biggest pocket sized gps I could find, which is exactly what I wanted, I find with most gps the screen resolution and detail of maps is great, but to navigate easily you need to see what is around you to get some perspective, by the time you have zoomed out on a smaller screen it all becomes hard to see, the bigger Montana screen really comes into its own here.

I am really pleased with the sensitivity of the receiver! I can switch it on anywhere, indoors or out, and it knows where it is in seconds, compared to my Satmap unit which often takes 3-4 minutes to decide where it is and has to be outside or at least by the window, or worse still my (much) older Garmin unit which has to be waved around in the air outside!

I went for a walk with the Garmin switched on, but left in my coat pocket, I got it out and checked it every 10 minutes or so and was amazed to find it had not lost itself at all, considerably better performance than the Satmap unit it has replaced.

The Montana comes with a respectable and quite useful base map, but as always its the detailed maps where they get you, mine will potentially get used all over the UK, the entire country 1:50000 OS map micro SD card cost me an extra £200-00p.

It can show 3D maps and the screen automatically switches between landscape and portrait depending on how you are holding it, I have bought a suction pad holder to use it as an in car sat nav if I need to.

Not to sure about battery life yet, but the rechargeable that comes with it seems quite promising, after an hour and a halfs walk it still had 85% charge, so thats potentially up to around 9 hrs, if the rechargeable runs out then its easy to put 3 x AA batterys in and carry on.

To sum up, its expensive, but worth every penny, possibly the only gps you will ever need and my favorite new gadget!!
33 Comments| 16 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 10 May 2015
We've had a while to check this GPSR out and it has been a definite improvement over our previous Garmin - larger screen, seems to be better at acquiring and keeping satellites, camera and a huge memory so we don't have to keep deleting pocket queries just because of space. On the downside, it has a tendency to sometimes freeze for a moment - usually when re-loading a map, and has 'bricked' on a few occasions where nothing happens at all and it has to be turned off and back on. The freezing is no worse than the previous Garmin but the 'bricking' is a pain. Would I return to the old GPSR? No, I wouldn't. The larger screen, bigger memory and camera more than make up for the occasional glitch. The buying process was very smooth.
on 12 December 2013
The product is as expected, rugged and reliable with good OS mapping (bought separately). Once you have mastered the controls etc it is a great product. I bought screen protectors as well to avoid unwanted scratches etc.
It works well in your pocket, never losing a SATFIX, and even in forest and woodlands it works very well.
If you want a general purpose GPS for recreational walking you would not want anything else other than this GPS.
on 1 June 2015
GPS is great. Exactly what I was looking for. I have not had time to use it much yet and I need to get various other maps but I am delighted with this item so far.
on 22 February 2015
great unit but beware as map supplied not sufficient for most needs so you will have to purchase other maps.
on 9 June 2013
I bought this to help with a motorcycle rally through N.Africa but as I have some time until that takes place I have been using it for many other things including cycling, geocaching, gliding and on the road.
The main challenge once receiving the item is learning about Base Camp and how to manage the various types of Map. Also it is necessary to understand profiles in terms of what they tell the unit to do, for example if using automotive it will try to find a road routable calculation. If you are walking or cycling you may not want this, you may just want direct routing. I have downloaded many different maps since receiving the unit and also used Birdseye which is very good for Nav in most areas but sometimes the quality is not as highs if could be and in mountainous areas often there is shadow and a mix in summer and winter terrain. If you consider Birdseye I suggest you also get an internal mini sd. All in all it looks to be the business and I hope it will perform for the rally.
on 6 June 2015
The 650T was not available. I received the 650 which was good and I decided to accept it, the reason for 4 stars instead of the 5 is because the basic world map supplied with the 650 was of little use to me. The 650t had a european map. The 650 arrived on time, packaged well and is an excellent GPS does all that I require it to do.
on 10 September 2013
This is the best gps I have ever owned , it has a large clear screen ,responds quickly and can be used in car with an additional adaptor .
on 20 July 2014
easy to use and works well once registered
on 20 February 2015
A little cumbersome to use but maybe because I am comparing it with an iphone

See one answered question