Customer reviews

Format: Blu-ray|Change

on 24 August 2016
Ridiculous and brilliant.
on 22 July 2013
I saw this by chance the other night. I am not sure what I expected - perhaps something akin to its distant relative "Kick Ass". What I got was an intelligent film that explores the complex issues of loneliness, loss and being a moral, sensitive guy stuck in the modern world. I thought the end result was a funny (truly cringe-worthy in places), violent, poignant and touching tragedy played out within a super hero context.

The story is simple and economic, and all the better for being so. It is your basic super hero origins type story but played out in a world that is all too painfully real. Rainn Wilson is perfect as Frank (the lead character), who he plays with great sensitivity and wit. In particular, the anguish of Frank's moral dilemmas is portrayed particularly well. How does a super hero decide who to dispense justice upon? Does extreme violence solve anything? Was it all worth it? Frank is no Clarke Kent or Bruce Wayne - he is an all too real chap who is struggling to cope with the hand that life has dealt him. In my opinion that makes him much more credible.

As I am a red-blooded man I appreciate the fine casting choices of Liv Tyler and Ellen Page in supporting roles (as Frank's estranged wife and Libby respectively). they both turn in good solid performances. However, for me it was the casting of Kevin Bacon as Jacques that really stands out. Mr Bacon puts in a tour de force performance as the drug dealing bad guy who hoodwinks Frank's wife and triggers Frank's descent into becoming a masked super hero. Jacque is a perfect bad guy - he is likeable, sleazy, slick, handsome and despicable in equal doses. A perverse antithesis to Frank who is none of those things. Perfect casting.

I liked this film. It is thought-provoking, intelligent, violent and darkly comic. Perhaps not a suitable choice if you're looking for mindless escapism but I'll recommend it all the same.
22 Comments| 17 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 27 September 2015
Entertaining but more an adult version of Kick Ass
on 25 March 2016
👍
on 7 September 2016
I really enjoyed this film. I thought it sounded like it would be a bit like Kick Ass, but in reality, although both films feature someone deciding to be a real life super hero they do not have a lot else in common. Poor, misguided, well intentioned Frank gets fed up of being put upon and of nice guys finishing last, he puts on the costume with the intention of saving his wife from drug dealer Jacques, and of stopping any crimes he sees in the area. So Frank becomes the crimson bolt, and along the way acquires a young sidekick, Boltie.

This film is pretty dark and sad, although there is humour here too. Its different, its weird, and it certainly was not what I was expecting, but nonetheless I liked it and will certainly watch it again.
on 4 February 2017
Not bad, but not particularly good either, distinctly average.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 20 June 2016

on 19 November 2013
this film is fantastic, although to be honest i can understand some of the negative reviews. it is a marmite film.

the first twenty minutes or so are a little confusing and i had wondered what i had bought. i was ready to turn it off and curse my friends for providing me bad intel. i persevered, and so glad i did. this film is darkly comic, and offers a different outlook on the superhero genre. some compare it to kick ass. i can see why but think that is a little unfair. whilst kick ass tackles the concept of an ordinary guy becoming a hero, it does so with a graphic novel feel and tongue in cheek way, whereas super is far more dark and satirical. Wilson plays the character superbly, carefully drawing the line between the real and the absurd. paige too is a delight as a maniacal sidekick, eager to exact bloody retribution.

the film although bordering the farcical, never steps over the boundary. you genuinely empathise with Wilson's character and the situation with his wife. it also makes you question the justice system and whether it is at times too lenient, while at the same time mocking those who seek harsh penalties for minor crimes. at the end when his character is redeemed there was the opportunity for it to go too cheesy which thankfully it steers away from.

this film is bold and loud. if you find yourself laughing at things like breaking bad then you will probably enjoy this. not for everyone, but a must for others.

9/10
TOP 100 REVIEWERon 4 February 2012
This great film has drawn many comparisons to `Kick Ass', and yes it has a made up Super Hero and side kick and home made costumes but they are both great in their owns ways. The basic plot is that Frank D'Arbo (Riann Wilson) is a mild mannered short order chef at a greasy cafe. His wife is a recovering drug and alcohol addict Sarah (Liv Tyler). They met when she started waiting tables at his cafe. We join them as she introduces some new friends to Frank who are all into their narcotics and alcohol etc. She doesn't just fall off the wagon she takes a triple jump off of it and lands in a liquor mart! One of them is Jacques (Kevin Bacon)a self centred gun toting drug dealer who likes to hang out at a bar called `Bare Assets', I think semi clad ladies might wander about inside you know!

Frank comes home one day and finds that she is gone, he asks the police to help, but they point out that she has not been kidnapped but has left him. So Frank gets inspired by a television evangelical Super Hero' The Holy Avenger' (Thanks Jesus!) to become a Super Hero. Not knowing where to begin he visits a comic book store where he meets Libby (a potty mouthed Ellen Page). Soon he discovers the hero inside and things start to roller coast as he becomes `The Crimson Bolt'!

This is a genuinely funny film, with some painfully funny slapstick and lines that are so cheesy you just wish you had said it first. We have a rubbish car that is transformed into a Super Hero Mobil merely by changing its name to `The Bolt Mobile!' Sorry you have to put exclamation marks after anything to do with Super Heroes - it's the law! See I told you. We also have issues of addiction, love, some severely unfunny violence and a helluva lot of warmth, as well as some Super Hero Sex! (I am getting bored with the exclamation marks now).

Written and Directed by James Gunn this is probably his best film yet, mind you he did do Scooby Doo so not a massive amount of competition. This then is for fans of comedy, Super Heroes and just decent well made films and it proves you do not need a massive budget. All the acting is brilliant and you do get the feeling that they all must have had a blast making this, so Mr Gunn ignore any of the detractors as I can't wait for your next one. Sorry I meant to put an exclamation mark on the end of that last sentence but the key has jammed, if only I had a sort of Super Hero pen to unwedge it...
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 3 August 2011
NO SPOILERS

For me, the difference can be summed up in one sentence: KICKASS, despite its dark moments, is at heart a funny, feel-good movie; SUPER, despite its comic moments, is at heart a dark tragedy.

Anyone who thinks that one of these movies is a ripoff of the other hasn't seen them. They start from the same basic premise, then shoot off in totally different directions.

If you've seen one of them and liked it, I'm pretty sure you'll also like the other - but you'll find you have a definite favourite.

I like them both. Giving SUPER four stars instead of five is purely a matter of personal preference - I preferred the lightness of touch in KICKASS, and I really, really, REALLY wish that SUPER hadn't... um... no, I can't say more without a major spoiler.

I like SUPER, and I'm glad I bought it, and I'll watch it several more times, I'm sure. But each time, I'll probably watch KA afterwards to cheer myself up again.

But anyway, DEFINITELY recommended!!!
44 Comments| 51 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse