Format: Audio CD|Change

on 22 January 2012
You'd expect a highly-publicised former 'child prodigy' pianist to take the world by storm with his playing, but Grosvenor's pianism is far too interesting to focus solely on pyrotechnics. Indeed, it could almost be described as stealthy, the way he focuses on clarity and inner lines in Chopin's Scherzos when other pianists are more intent on barnstorming virtuosity. My first reaction was that the Scherzos were played too tamely, but Grosvenor's playing soon won me over. What he has achieved is phenomenal, especially for a young musician: the pieces come across with such freshness that I felt like I was discovering every detail anew, yet there is no hint that Grosvenor was being 'different' or eccentric just for the sake of it.

Ravel's Gaspard de la Nuit is characterised by a similar Classical feeling for lightness, grace and clarity - it takes you by stealth rather than by storm. Having grown up with Argerich's demonic recording, I like my Gaspard more volatile, so I'm still not totally used to Grosvenor, whose temperament here is essentially Argerich's polar opposite. If I had one complaint about Grosvenor's debut, it's that it's perhaps a bit too mature or 'sane' - but, given that we're looking at a young pianist making his first big recording, that can't altogether be a bad thing, especially since his playing is consistently fresh and interesting.
on 30 November 2012
A STAR IS BORN!! Saw him at the age of 11, his talent is so natural he seems to be at one with any composer he chooses to play and this disc is a prime example
. It is crisp clear and well modulated - the music is allowed to shine and speak for itself. Highly recommended.
on 5 May 2012
My english is very poor, but i can say Mr Grosvenor's talent is as Horowitz or Argerich one at theirs debuts! A real great coloutist in Ravel,fantastic as E.A POE novels....Chopin's scherzos are visionary,the Nocturnes are singing as Bellini !!! This Cd is a dream !
Very good sound !
on 3 September 2011
I think this must be the most notable recorded debut for a major label since Martha Argerich's debut record. Grosvenor's technique is formidable but built into his playing is an extraordinary delicacy and tone colouring. he can certainly play the notes to match any rival but it is the sheer musicality of the playing that sets this disc apart. You can just listen to it again and again. I just hope that the critics, having hyped up Grosvenor, will resist their usual negative sniping as he matures as an artist. This is one very special pianist.
on 27 July 2011
I enthusiastically second all the prior 3 reviews here, as well as Mark Ainley's blog review. Here in the USA , Grosvenor has appeared live a few times , each time to great acclaim. I eagerly await his next appearances here, where his "This and That" cd and live broadcasts have given him a large following. The Decca cd evidences the maturity,individual sound, and original conception one associates with a great artist. All the playing is exemplary, the Chopin 3rd Scherzo and "Maiden's Wish" nigh definitive, "Gaspard" stunning. Whatever other recordings of these works you have, you will gain new insights from Grosvenor . His is a career to follow, no better place to start than this Decca cd.
Bought this recording straight after we'd seen Benjamin playing Liszt at the Proms and are bowled over by his interpretation, musicality and maturity. We know most of the Chopin pieces well but this is like hearing them for the first time. The soulfulness in his playing is astonishing for one so young; in particular the light passages in the Chopin Nocturnes have a finesse and lyricism that is astonishing. An absoutely A1 recording.
on 10 December 2012
His fantastic pianism enables him to reveal more of the real scherzo aspect of the four scherzos than any of the other recordings I have. As for the performance of Gaspard, it is certainly up with the best that I have heard, and probably better than any. More please!
on 12 January 2013
If he can play like this when he is only 20, I can only wonder what he will play like when he is 40. I can only hope that he does not burn himself out early. Any one who enjoys this kind of music should buy it if they have not already done so.
on 24 December 2012
I chose this after hearing a review and listening to the music on the radio. I love classical music particularly piano playing. I would recommend it to all classical music lovers
on 3 September 2011
I bought this recording after enjoying his brilliant playing on the opening night of the BBC proms. He was really wonderful, and he then returned , playing Britten, when he was equally great to watch, especially his Boogie encore. I first saw him at the BBC Young Musicians Competition when, even at 11 years old, he could have won.

This recording does not disapoint and I look forward to his furthur discs.