on 18 November 2013
I'm so pleased I found this guy, can't get enough. Started with 'True Detective', where Nate Heller gets mixed up with John Dillinger, and now I'm in 1947 Los Angeles and the famous case of the Black Dahlia, who James Ellroy has also visited. Collins' ability to stitch real people and events together with his fictional PI in the middle is immensely impressive and enjoyable, a real lift in crime writing – and Lord knows, at about 3 crime novels a week, I need it. Can't recommend highly enough. Like Chandler only with real historical facts and figures. And a lot more sex.
on 16 May 2013
I first started to read about this tragic young lady last year with Severed,the book shocked me,but i found i couldnt put it down.Since then i have bought every book and dvd regarding this unsolved case,but every book tells a different story of her character.So i suppose you have to decide which personality you believe.This one after reading the rest,doesnt ring true with the kind of young lady she was,but is still readable,and deepens the mystery of why she was murdered so horrifically.
on 27 February 2014
I love Nathan Heller! His character is so well written and the historical setting is vividly recreated. I happened upon this author by chance and read three books one after the other, would certainly recommend this book. Great read, well crafted storyline and authentic characters, thoroughly engaging and enjoyable. This book is my favourite, but all the ones I have read are well written. I thought knowing some of the history about this murder would make the book lack suspense, but that was not the case at all, thanks to the superb writing and fiction and non fiction inter woven seamlessly.
on 6 May 2014
It is mainly about Nathan Helier a private detective helping out a reporter of The Examiner.They were at the scene of of the crime of a young woman naked and cut in half,but no blood anywhere. But that is only the beginning.
on 19 November 2013
I am very mixes about this book. It is a good concept and theory but the writing irritated me. It was too far fetched that one person would have so many conacts and access to all these big names. All the women were either sex objects or victims, the cops were all stupid or corrupt and the journalists all scruffy and without morals. A bit like a verbal caricature but it kept me distracted in a shallow way during an otherwise busy few days
on 6 January 2014
Wasn't sure whether this was based on fact or not but definitelygives food for thought whether they got the killer. Like to think they did. Has encouraged me to rrsearchbackground to the case.
11 Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 31 January 2014
I really enjoyed this book, it has made me want to read more of Max Allen Collins books it kept me interested all the way through.
on 11 September 2017
MAC finally strikes out with a Heller story. In this slice of noir historical fiction, MAC puts Heller in with the Black Dahlia case - the LA story of the hooker cut in half - and badly mashes it, despite his trademark wit. He seems aware of the novel's failings, even early on - he wars the reader that the tale is full of and driven by co-incidences.

Spoiler alert - don't read on if you intend to read this book. The usual Heller book is full of twists and turns and this one has more than its fair share of twists. The problem is, MAC puts Heller at the centre of the mystery in order to drive the action, with a whopping co-incidence. You see, Heller not only knows Elizabeth Short - she was a girlfriend of his. He has a motive to find out who done it - and that is a no no in noir writing. The other massive flaw is the way Heller and Eliot Ness (Heller's buddy, of course) unearth the real killer but do not drag him to the cops or the insane asylum. This is utterly ridiculous, especially in the circumstances. This has repercussions that puts Heller's wife in harms way. It is all to much.

In fact, it is a mess. Not a totally unenjoyable mess, but a mess nonetheless. I have finally found a stinker from MAC - and this is it.
on 5 November 2013
Didn't read it all as my Kindle Fire was playing up and kept passind blank pages so I gave up....what I did read was OK but slow going