on 16 November 2014
Helped me get a routine in place.
on 17 September 2013
This book is so worthwhile. I found the routines to be challenging at first, but worth persevering with (I LOVE sleep). Also, once I knew and understood all the rules, and worked out what worked for me and my daughter, I broke the rules when it suited me. My daughter is now 15 months old, and sleeps from 7pm to 7am every night.
on 21 July 2011
This book gives dangerous advice, such as covering babies in up to 16 (yes, sixteen!) blankets, advocates the CIO (cry it out) method (although euphemisms are used to avoid calling it what it is, such as "allowing baby to self-settle"), claims that small babies vomit to gain their parents' attention and that this must be ignored! There is no evidence backing up this so-called "expert"'s advice, and much of it goes against current guidelines on the prevention of SIDS (sudden infant death syndrome).
on 6 September 2016
Best book to assist you as a new mom. Loads of helpful stories, routines. Loved it and does exactly as it says on the cover!!! :)
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 23 September 2010
I got this since I'm against methods such as crying it out and controlled crying and the other reviewers said it wasn't about that. But it is. The author suggests you leave your baby, no matter what age, to cry at bedtime for as long as you can stand it, and she specifies how many minutes is a minimum. My daughter is two months old, and it's suggested that I leave her alone to cry for at least 6 minutes before going in and comforting her. Not at all what I'm looking for!
22 Comments| 18 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 13 November 2013
I was recommended to buy this book by a few friends of mine. Although I didn't follow the suggested feeding times to the letter, I used it as a guide and adapted it to my daughter's needs as she ate small amounts but often. I did however follow the wake-up and bed time routine to the letter and it works wonders. My daughter is now 3 months old and falls asleep at 7pm without problems which leaves mum and dad plenty of time for getting things done and for each other. The next milestone is solid foods and I will try and use the recommended routine. I would highly recommend this book to all new parents.
on 17 September 2014
Leave your baby to cry until they are sick...
NICE! No thank you very much. What horribly disturbing advice.
on 5 December 2014
The first two chapters alone are worth it. I wish I read before I gave birth. Wouldn't normally be the type to read books but so many of my pals suggested this one
on 21 October 2014
Readers of this book should be aware that it is very controversial (as can be seen from other reviews) and that the author seems to suffer from foot-in-mouth disease in that she does not express herself very eloquently and often comes across as quite heartless and crude.
I will disregard the controlled crying method as that has been sufficiently covered by other reviews.
Some of the other contents of this book are most peculiar. Particularly the instructions to cover your child with up to 15 (yes, you read that right) layers of bedding. These detailed instructions are not even printed in the book but available for download on the author's website - it makes me think that the book's publisher put their foot down and refused to print such (potentially harmful) advice.
It is not completely useless, though. The book contains detailed schedule suggestions for babies of various ages. I found this incredibly helpful as a new mother who had no clue. Up until reading this book I had let my son sleep whenever and wherever he wanted, not encouraging or discouraging sleep at any point. I had no idea how many hours he was SUPPOSED to be sleeping, so this book was very helpful in that regard (turns out he wasn't sleeping enough and was a much happier baby once I started putting him to bed as a part of a daily routine).
Also, although we didn't follow this book's advice to the letter, what we did use was very helpful. My 7-month-old son now goes to bed smiling, falls asleep within 10 minutes without making a peep and sleeps 12 hours straight. I would call that a win.
on 25 August 2011
I got this book when my son was 8 weeks old, and within a few days of implementing the routine, he went from a screamy whingy baby constantly feeding, to a much more chilled out little boy, who slept much better, which in turn led to a much happier and less stressed mummy!

Obviously there are bits in the book which I don't like or agree with, as you will find in any baby book, but it's about applying common sense to get the routines and advice to fit with your own beliefs and lifestyle.

It's VERY important to teach you baby to settle themselves and to go to sleep on their own without sleeping aids such as rocking, pacifiers etc... I didn't want to do controlled crying, so instead did verbal reassurance, where I left him crying, but went in every 5 minutes to reassure him (from afar!) that I was still there. Amazingly within a week he turned into a brilliant sleeper, and has gone to bed at 7pm ever since.

He's now 9 months, we still follow the routine, and it's even allowed me to go back to work when still breastfeeding.

I would recommend this book to anyone who has enough common sense to pick out and use the good bits and ignore the bits that they don't agree with or want to do.
22 Comments| 5 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse