on 8 July 2017
I've been wanting to buy a hedge trimmer for some time now. I kept putting it off, but finally bought this budget Bosch one due to the star rating in Amazon and the fact I own a Bosch lawnmower which is superb.

I am so glad I did get a hedge trimmer as I've been previously using a pair of hand shears!!, and I don’t need to explain how frustrating and a chore it is to maintain a fairly big hedge with manual shears.

Despite being small it is more than capable with its 420 watt motor. I was actually surprised how quiet the motor is.

This little machine is capable of dealing with small and even medium size hedges and branches. A great choice for the gardener that wants to get the job done quick and precise.

The trimmer is equipped with a 45 centimeter long blade, which has a tooth spacing of 16 millimeters. The blade has apparently been diamond grounded which should give the blade a bit of longevity and clean cutting.

There is also a nice plastic blade cover that comes with the trimmer, so you can preserve the blade when not in use.

The cable length is around 10m which may be enough for some people to not even require an extension reel.

Handles are positioned very ergonomically that suits me quite well, and I don’t feel like I would drop it at any point in time. It’s very light, weighing in at 2.5kg which helps prevent fatigue in the old arms when reaching up.

You could probably cut long grass with this trimmer if you don’t own a lawnmower, although that would be pretty back breaking!

I can definitely recommend this to my friends and other Amazon users 👍🏻
review imagereview imagereview imagereview image
on 16 August 2017
A superb machine and very simple to use. Delivery was prompt too. Also, it's a refreshing change to encounter something made in Europe (in this case Hungary and quality-checked in Germany) instead of being knocked-out '19-to-the-dozen' in a far-flung part of Asia or Indonesia. As a consequence it is built like a tank and feels reassuringly solid and well-constructed.

This is the first electric hedge trimmer I have used since I "cut my teeth" gardening-wise on my Dad's long-gone cordless trimmer when I was a teenager (I'm now 46) and, now that I have rediscovered the knack/technique of using this, I find it to be a doddle and it gives superb results. In fact, the results were all too superb as I was slightly disorientated (due to tiredness) at the end of proceedings and managed to cut through the cord when I went slightly off-balance, but this is my own stupid fault and no reflection whatsoever on the machine. I had a spare mains connector in the shed, so I was quickly able to repair the severed cord and I am now back in business and will be much more careful from now on!

There's a lesson here for all of us - when you start to feel tired, STOP WORK. I didn't. Fortunately the RCD cut-out safety device I always use prevented any accident but be careful, people.

Prior to this machine arriving, I was having to use an old, worn-out pair of hand shears to prune my tiny hedge and medium-sized shrubs but now I can do the job much more efficiently and effectively in a tiny fraction of the time.

If you're umm-ing and arr-ing over whether or not to invest in one of these machines, do not hestitate. Follow the instructions, use your common-sense, be careful and you will be fine with this.

Highly recommended.
on 25 July 2017
We purchased this on a lightning deal as our previous trimmer was rendered completely unusable due to a fault that had developed after continuous use. I found the trimmer to be extremely versatile, lightweight, and efficient for cutting a variety of hedges with ease. I would personally recommend you purchase an extension cable as the cable is quite short (you can pick these up for less than £5 on Amazon) aside from this the trimmer is ideal for reaching hard to reach areas in the garden.

Overall the Bosch Electric Hedge Cutter is perfect for a variety of uses in the garden, and makes mince meat of hedges and hard to reach areas in the garden.
on 1 January 2018
Bought this to make my gardening easier as we have a number of bushes that had started to get a bit out of control.

Works well, and has no problem cutting through small bush branches (maybe 5mm or slightly more). Have had it cut through 1cm but had to persist and it probably isn't good for the blade.

This loses a star because it isn't particularly comfortable to hold for extended periods. It isn't a natural position I don't think. You have to hold down two buttons to operate it (safety feature) - I am right-handed, and hold the rear handle with my left, and the front handle with my right so I can steer/apply pressure etc. It would be nice it the front switch locked "on" as that would make it so much easier, but I understand why it doesn't.
on 14 July 2017
It is great for smaller gardens and hard to reach areas up high on the hedges/behind fences etc. My only gripe is that it will not cut through anything thicker than a pencil. I am glad to have it though. I just wish I didn't have to get a different tool out to do the thicker bits. It is a handy tool to have around though and does the job. Just be sure to be extremely careful when using it. You could very easily chop through a cord or your finger (or someone else's!). There are buttons for both hands that have to be pushed for it to work but still be careful.
on 6 June 2017
As the title says. Arrived swiftly, quicker than predicted.

I've used this hedge cutter on some quite seriously thick hedges and it sliced through like a hot knife through butter. It's not too long, so is easy to handle, lightweight and powerful. I did consider a hedge trimmer with a longer cutting blade, but settled on this 450mm one, to keep it relatively easy to handle.

Seems to be constructed from decent materials, so hopefully will last too.

And at this price, it's a bargain.

Recommended.
on 10 August 2017
Bosch AHS-16; I have used this item only the once and so far all is fine; It is a lot lighter than any hedge trimmer I have previously used, It does not feel powerful but cuts away slowly and gets the job done; I find it quieter than my older trimmers probably due to new generation of motor prohibition rules which is in all our best interest to protect the planet.
I feel for the low price if I get a couple of seasons use then it will have paid for itself.
on 15 September 2016
Very happy with this hedge cutter, we have used it all through the summer and our shrubs look great, best they have been for ages it is easy to keep on top of them.
Would recommend this cutter
on 15 September 2015
Superb Hedge Cutter which you would expect from BOSCH .I only have BOSCH tools so i new what I was getting. Any faults looking at it would be perhaps females would find it a little heavy on a wide hedge( I not being sexist) that so far is all I can find
review imagereview imagereview image
on 30 June 2014
This is very quiet, sure and strong. It's a little awkward with the handle angle and caused small wrist fatigue after half hour constant use, but having a break at short intervals is sensible practice. Vibration is minimal and with a file i can see light sharpening is easy. Recently i have veered away from Bosch products as i have negative experience with other tools. This item restores my faith somewhat in Bosch, at least for the hedge trimmer it does. i would recommend this product over others as i have broken seven opther brands in the last six years. This is not very old yet, but already i can see it will last longer than them and it is around the same cost. I will post a review update in a year to confirm this