on 22 August 2014
It was sheer chance that I bought the first book in this trilogy. It was in the Kindle sale. I was so hooked I had to buy this and the third book (Toute Seul). It made no difference that I read them in the wrong order. I have to admit that I'm a Francophile and this book really enforces my view of the French way of life. The book is very well written and the characters interesting. I believe there is a fourth book on the way and I can't wait to read it.
Karen, a fashion editor who comes from an environment that believes that happiness can be found in a new pair of shoes, heads for the Poitou-Charentes in the west of France. Here she meets both French and British suitors while renovating her dilapidated house in a village. This is the first of a series of books which make great summer reading.
on 29 August 2017
Excellent writing, couldn't put it down - page-turner. Karen has very engaging writing style and her experience is shared with sincerity and good humour. Highly recommend to the audience who love good travel writing and France.
on 29 August 2010
I brought this for a holiday in France on the basis that it is nice to read a book about the country you are in. I chose it on the back of your reviews and was not dissapointed. What they don't say is how it is a compulsive easy read, i devoured it in my first 24 hours and then spent the rest of my holiday scouring the bookshelves to find something equivalent, I will definately read her next book(s.
on 30 May 2017
Ok. Nothing special
on 22 April 2013
I felt as if I was almost there.. enjoyed every moment of the little gem,,, the book flows nicely and Im sure I will be looking out for more by this author... pass the French stick and brie !!
on 7 August 2017
Great holiday read
on 1 November 2009
A really good read in what has become quite a crowded market of writers who "give it all up for the rural idyll that is France."
Well written and carefully edited to draw the reader in to a mix of eccentric but believable characters. A tone of self deprecation that links the hunt for a new life and a new love. Having read many similar works I can confidently suggest this as one of the best. I look forward to more tales from this talented writer.
on 6 January 2016
Nice book
on 12 July 2017
A easy read about moving to France and all that transpired because of it.
Idyllic setting, good characters, well written.