Learn more Download now Shop now Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle New Album - U2 Learn more Shop Women's Shop Men's

on 23 July 2012
I was about a third of the way through this before I remembered how much I disliked the first part of the trilogy. However, I was on holiday with lots of time to kill so I decided to continue and finish....

The spelling and grammar seems to have improved (although it may be I just didn't notice them so much as I skim read through most of it)but the characters are still 2 dimensional and I couldn't bring myself to care about any of them. The "love interest" has been given a weird accent which was very distracting.....Someone help me out - is she Scottish or South African?? Either way, she was a very weak, clichéd character and her inclusion seemed pointless.

The other characters - equally cliched and boring. Even though I finished the book less than 2 weeks ago, I have forgotten most of them and all but the general gist of the story as it just did not capture my imagination enough for me to properly invest in reading and retaining.

All the other reviews are five star so maybe I just missed something? Were there hidden depths I overlooked? Did the book do anything more than churn out stereotypical plots and characters? Did it deliver something new and fresh to the genre that I missed? Maybe, but more likely not. Either way, this wasn't for me and I will not be completing the trilogy.
on 5 October 2013
Another reviewer compared this trilogy to Lords of the Rings, which is one reason I chose to read it. Is it comparable? Well there are Humans, Dwarves, Elves and Wizards. It is an epic struggle between light and dark. There are heroes and villains. However M R Mathias adds in Dragons, Giants and at least one God and an underworld full of demons. There is magic and majesty, but the writing is not of the stature of LOTR.

One critical review complained that the characters were two dimensional and I would have to agree that they lack the rich depth which Tolkien achieved for his characters through a wonderful synthesis of Earth myths and a creation of a middle Earth realm which is instantly recognisable in our sub-conscious.

Leaving the comparison to LOTR aside, most Amazon reviewers gave this novel a high rating and I can see why. They enjoyed the story and this is why we read, we want to be entertained and this trilogy is entertaining. The revised first book is tighter than the unrevised second and third books.This is, of course, the perennial problem for independent authors but the benefits of editing are unmistakable.

Frustrating! There are times when I wanted to scream, "No! Please don't do that again, move the story on, develop a sub plot, enrich the characters but not that again." However I must forgive the author for my frustration, he attempts to complete a fantasy epic on the scale of Robert Jordan's, "Wheel of Time", in just three books and I bless him for not having to wait twenty years for the finale.

Should you buy this trilogy? Well yes, let us support our independent authors but let us also encourage them to find good editors and to enrich their works by not rushing the conclusion and developing the characters and back story.
on 2 June 2013
Where book one felt a bit slow as it built up the story and developed the characters, book two delivers the action. The switching between characters as the story unfolds wasn't as obtrusive (probably got use to it by now) and you now start to see, and understand, as some of the prophecies unfold.

An excellent second book in the trilogy; continuing and building up where book one left off.
on 11 November 2013
Now I have got to admit that this author has shocked me. I have loved this series up to now and am excited to read the last part now. Thoroughly impressed could not put it down.well rounded plot and storyline. I am definitely looking forward to reading future works from this author too and have already downloaded the dragoneers saga.
on 27 January 2014
Like the first book became totally immersed in the second and devoured it ..couldnt put it down and had to double check that i had downloaded the final book in the trilogy... Book moves along at a nice pace and would quite happily purchase books from this author again ..and have done..roll on the last book
on 16 June 2014
Once again a book that i could not put down and ready to get the next one my only fault to say is on the kindle the map is not big enough to see where the characters in the adventure are going but this did not stop a very good read
on 31 July 2013
Having read the complete trilogy I a absolutely enjoyed it.it is a bit like Lord of the rings (good verses bad with a series of adventures and dwarfs, dragons and hero's. I recommend this series to any fantasy reader
on 18 September 2013
The high standard of story telling from the first book is continued here. The story is further developed with the original characters. Recommend the read unreservedly. Looking forward to the next instalment.
on 2 June 2014
The detail of the battle scenes and the descriptions of the places the characters visit are so powerful you feel that you are there experiencing them too. I can't wait to start reading the last book.
on 25 May 2014
Enjoyed reading this book as much as the other two. The adventure was very good and I never want to put the book down. Many a night lead into early hours of the morning.