on 24 September 2014
This had a very favourable review in a recent Mawlana Rumi Review, and once I had started reading I could not put it down. It is a double narrative: one setting is in modern day America where a woman strikes up a relationship with the writer of a novel she has been given to read to consider for publication; the other setting is Konya in the 1240's, and tells the story of Shams meeting with Rumi . For anyone who knows the story and the mystery surrounding Sham's disappearance - murder seems likely, that end of the story is predictable. The title takes its name from fourty rules that Shams has discovered. For anyone who enjoys Rumi, this is a very sensitive account. For anyone who knows little about Sufism, this is both informed and sensitively depicted.
on 26 August 2017
This book will be on my 'all time favourite' list. Highly recommended for people interested in the wonderful, Rumi and Shams and their lives, dove tailing neatly into a contemporary narrative with more complex , but likeable, characters. The book has already been reviewed by many others so all I will add is, buy it and enjoy it.
on 8 February 2016
I'm really sorry but I struggled with this book and am ashamed to admit I actually gave up on it. I have thoroughly enjoyed reading other books by this author but just couldn't finish this one. It became almost biblical and that's just not for me. It is a "good" book in that it makes you stop and think about how you interact with people - but I guess I'm just a "bad" person as I really don't (at the moment) have enough time in my life to do that. Maybe I can come back to it when I no longer have a long drive to work and a very physically tiring workload.
on 15 June 2018
I enjoyed reading this book because I thought the messages inspiring and thought provoking about living a good life and finding God and peace within yourself Three stars and not five because I thought the treatment of the women in the book was awful and did not in any way reflect the messages about God and life. At times it was heavy going because of the length of the inspirational quotes but I would recommend it for anyone who enjoys a thought provoking read.
on 9 July 2017
I saw this book on someone's Instagram account and then checked the reviews online. I took it for a holiday reading and loved it. I just felt like rereading straight after I finished the book. Excellent writing and 2 stories in one book.
on 14 July 2017
If you love Rumi, this is the book for you - excellent read. I don't know how historically accurate this is but the mentoring that Shams Tabriz gave to Rumi is described very well in this book. Lots of lessons to learn in terms of accepting people for who they are and not pre-judging them.
on 19 March 2016
My favourite genre is historical fiction so I gained most enjoyment from the Shams and Rumi story rather than the modern day one, although the two stories did meld together well and the author writes so well it was very easy reading which meant I didn't put it down until it was finished. Sufism has become a recent interest as I was fortunate enough to discover the enneagram last year and learnt it in a group setting, rather than reading about it, and the Sufis originally taught it in an oral tradition. I have therefore been previously acquainted with learning to know the inner self rather than being fooled by the ego. This book gives easy access to the ideas of Sufism and I hope it inspires people to find out more about it as it has certainly challenged me to change the way I look at things and resulted in my being much happier with who I am and a significant reworking of the things I consider important in life. A must for those who find it difficult to relate to organised religion.
on 16 April 2018
this book was not what i expected but how i enjoyed it i have never been a religious person but this book effected me in a very profound way and i would urge people to read it with an open mind and an open heart
on 1 February 2018
bought for book group. the language is amazing. have recommended it to lots of people to read. lots of great quotes/rules of love that you can apply to your own life, that make you think.
on 4 November 2017
This book was definitely interesting and somewhat complex to read. It gave me a little more understanding of Sufism, however I didn't like the jump form the two different settings of past and present, still an interesting read and I would recommend this book.