on 3 October 2011
John Wilson has produced a classic. I was too young to see many of the Hollywood musicals when they were originally shown at the cinema, but have collected many videos/DVDs over the years and its good to have a CD which brings together a good variety of songs from that era. Its not an 'easy listening CD', but a good performance, made by professionals who I can listen to, and sing along with, over and over again and never get tired. (No, I haven't had any complaints from my neighbours yet). The John Wilson Orchestra has definitely gained a fan and I will be very interested in any other CDs they produce in the future. The DVD is good and I was pleased it was included in the package.
on 20 May 2012
Having seen The John Wilson Orchestra at the Sage I am a great admirer of his work. To recreate these musicals almost to perfection is absolutely fabulous. Hence in my opinion this guy is worthy of the genius title I give him. I have the CD in the car and play regularly, my favourite being the overture section. The orchestra's rendition of Over The Rainbow is first class and everyone should enjoy it. All I can say is if John Wilson is appearing in your area,please grab a ticket to see the genius in the flesh. If you like the Hollywood musicals then this style is definately for you. The CD is your permanent reminder of this wonderful sound.
on 1 January 2012
I knew nothing about John Wilson and his achievements with the music from MGM musicals until about a week ago. Very interested, I checked on Amazon and found this CD. IT IS SIMPLY FABULOUS! Buy it ... you won't be disappointed.
on 30 December 2011
John Wilson is an excellent entertainer. His orchestra is growing all the time as is his reputation. We've watched him on TV whenever he's been on as he's very entertaining. The Proms in the autumn we introduced my Dad to the John Wilson Orchestra and he too was sold at age 92. This cd was purchased for my Dad for Xmas and has already been played as too the dvd that accompanied it. John Wilson managed to salvage and reconstruct the almost lost MGM orchestrations and what an excellent job he has done. That's Entertainment.
on 7 April 2012
I think the CD is a great complement to the DVD, I can listen to it in the car all day. The only thing I find annoying is the Track information comes up on my display and computer as Michael Feinstein -MGM Album 1989, EMI any comments ????, also the track titles and timings are wrong, has anyone else had this happen ?????

I do wish John would hurry up and record the other 2 Prom Concerts on CD and The BBC release the Broadcast of his 2nd and 3rd Proms on DVD. BBC ?????
TOP 1000 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 13 February 2014
I quite like Hollywood musicals, but I certainly could not be described as an obsessive and songs from the shows do not feature prominently in my CD collection.

There were, however, two main reasons behind my purchase of this CD; one, that I managed to pick it up very cheaply indeed and two, that I had seen the same forces perform this music so memorably at a broadcast from the Proms shown on TV a couple of years ago. This CD gives almost as much pleasure as that Prom performance.

The presiding genius over the enterprise is the (relatively) young Geordie conductor John Wilson, who has lovingly reconstructed the scores of the pieces played here. His orchestra plays with genuine affection for the music and his hand-picked group of vocal soloists could hardly be bettered. Kim Criswell and Matthew Ford are experts in this genre, while the operatic soprano Sarah Fox, a favourite of Wilson’s, makes some lovely contributions. The stars of the show for me, however, are the multi-talented Curtis Stigers and Seth MacFarlane of “Family Guy” fame, who turns out to have a natural affinity for this music.

You’d have to be a pretty miserable soul not to find something to enjoy here.
on 12 May 2015
This CD is all done at quite a frantic pace I thought. Excellent music if you are in the mood, but no breaks in tempo. Havent got to the end of it yet.
on 3 October 2011
While agreeing with all the accolades for this release and being lost in admiration for John Wilson's reconstructions I have misgivings about the sound. Why do we have a harsh, digital sound with a bright glare, causing listener fatigue after a few tracks?
I don't know what other commentators play their music on but with a high-end Naim system this disc sounds nothing like the old sound of the MGM Studio Orchestra. Where is the warmth and the luscious strings on the old mono soundtracks? I know orchestras play differently today and Wilson has done his best to re-create this with his fabulously talented orchestra but when I have system that reproduces exactly what is recorded I am often disappointed with the sound on new CDs. It sounds like the engineers have tin ears and they should go back to many of the great classical recordings from Decca and EMI in the 50's and 60's when people used their ears and not their fingers or eyes on computers to get the right sound.
Having said all that, this is an important release and may there be many more. With all these reservations I still enjoyed it immensely but people with top class audio should audition it first and then decide.
on 9 May 2013
If like myself, you hadnt seen or heard of john Wilson until recent years via his concerts at the R.A.H. then you will love this CD...its packed with songs you know so well from the golden age of the Hollywood musical. I love his arrangements in full stereophonic sound that are better than the original recordings which were then only in mono mostly. This is as CD that you can play over and over and never get fed up with....
on 26 October 2011
This CD breathes new life into fabulous old songs. The playing, recording and interpretation are an absolute joy. It's virtually impossible to not be carried away with the infectious fun and drive that John Wilson and his orchestra provide. He is an absolute master of the Hollywood musical, he completely gets inside the music and brings it to life. If you love Hollywood musicals, this will not dissapoint.