TOP 100 REVIEWERon 19 August 2012
This is the impression I got when reading this tome. To a large extent, it is because there are fewer major events happening. With the exception of Daenerys, which, at last stop travelling pointlessly and taking baths (I've lost count of the number of times we have seen her taking baths since Game of Thrones!), there are no great battles. However, there is plenty of other things happening.

One of Martin's habits, or at least it is getting into a habit, is to introduce into each of his volume some new features of his fiction world. In this one, we get at least two. The first is linked to Daenerys and to Slavers' Bay, where we get introduced to the brick slaver cities, with their square pyramids and their slave merchants. I couldn't help trying to guess what inspired him here. Perhaps it was the Phoenicians and Carthaginians. Anyway, the slave soldiers seem to be a bit inspired by the Turkish Mamluks and the Ottoman janissaries, except that they also seem to be eunuchs. Another nice piece that most "fans" have probably loved (me included) is that we see the dragons in action, fire and all.

The second piece that interested me is what is happening in the war-torn central part of Westeros in the absence of major battles: the "day-to-day life" in a war-torn zone infested with marauders from all sides. This is heavily inspired by the Hundred Years War and the Wars of the Roses, with war bands from both sides digging themselves into the various castles and fortresses that they might have taken, living of the country, and raiding whatever territory is controlled by the other factions. This is very much the situation that prevails between the Twins and Kings Landing and we get a glimpse at some of the various bands of warriors and mercenaries serving on each side, and sometimes changing sides.

Regarding the characters, there are a few comebacks, such as Beric Dondarion and Thoros of Myr, the Red Priest, both of which are much changed. We also see quite a bit of the Hound, Sandor Clegane, who, after escaping from King's Landing and the Lannisters, travels with Arya and runs into the two characters mentioned above. The main comeback, however, is that of Jaime Lannister, the Kingslayer, who manages to get back to his side but is no longer the dashing, rash and near-invincible swordsman that he used to be. Finally, we have the continuing adventure of Jon with the wildlings which he manages the get rid of at some cost.

Anyway, volume 1 of Steel and Snow is still rather good, if perhaps slightly less so than the previous instalments.
I definitely agree with another reviewer on Amazon.co.uk - this is bordering 4 stars, but not quite that - although we happen to be coming at it from two opposite directions.
on 7 December 2013
It's hardly fair to review this book since it's really only the first half of A Storm of Swords. It makes no attempt to reach a conclusion and I immediately went on to read the second half.

Having watched the excellent Season Three of the HBO TV serries (much enjoyed) I'm now trying to read ahead before the next season. Obviously there are differences, notably Gendry's TV character having been substituted for Edric Storm.

All I can say is that I'm enjoying it so far and look forward to reading the rest of it.
on 15 July 2017
Good book with an amazing story! Really worth reading as it has interesting plot, developed characters and some really good plot twists..
on 15 September 2017
Enjoying this series despite it sometimes being a bit long-winded. Love the character development and have already downloaded the next one
on 31 October 2017
Excellent price excellent quality fast despatch and delivery thank you.
on 23 August 2017
Just finished it and ordered the next book in the series.
on 16 June 2013
Having read some of the reviews before purchasing this second book I was concerned that there would be too many battles for me. However, the descriptive passages are so well written that I found it easy to follow and if fact gripping. My only concern is keeping track of who is who and which house they support, luckily I can look this up if I really want to
on 20 May 2017
Love this series of books. Great author.
on 17 January 2016
Oh where would I be with out game of thrones to read.
on 14 December 2017