Format: Blu-ray|Change

on 25 August 2011
This is great entertainment. It reminds me of the cop shows I loved from the seventies and eighties like Starsky and Hutch, and action shows like the A-Team. It doesn't take itself seriously and as long as you don't take IT seriously then I can't imagine anyone not enjoying this show.

It is also stunning. Absolutely gorgeous scenery (makes me really want to visit Hawaii) and the hottest cast I've seen on tv in years.

Alex O'Loughlin is especially great as McGarrett. I love his portrayal of him, funny, outrageous and touching in turn.

Daniel Day Kim is also excellent, as per usual. Scott Caan is funny as an angry Danno. And Grace Park is great as Kono.

I'd seen Grace Park and Daniel Day Kim before this show but never seen Scott Caan or Alex O'Loughlin before and was pleasantly surprised by them both.

The chemistry between the four is fantastic too.

Oh and did I mention the action? Top notch.

I can't imagine not liking this as pure escapist brilliance - unless you're a bit of a serious stick in the mud.
on 22 August 2015
The original of this series and Magnum PI were my favourite programs as a child, and I was pretty young when I saw them, but they made me fall in love with Hawaii as a location, so my excitement was palpable when I heard about this remake.

This was everything I would want it to be and more and for me the state itself was the real star of the show.

This is action packed, but has a breezy, light feel to it so it whisks past, and we see endless flashes of the beautiful, beautiful island of Oahu. Wow how much does it make you want to visit.
The new Steve McGarratt is a perfect fit and the same of the other three central characters, I think Grace Park is a brilliant Kono and I love McGarratt's banter with Danny which both the actors preform so well.

I know I will watch and re-watch this boxset.

This show has everything, action, humour, glamour and the best filming location on the planet, it can do no wrong for me.
on 19 May 2012
I loved watching this on the TV but the DVD is fantastic. The special features are great and the commentary with the cast is really funny. I cant wait for season 2 to come out on DVD, I hope its just as good as season 1.
on 16 April 2011
Hawaii Five-0 is slick, fast-paced, dramatic, beautifully shot and very good fun. It balances the dramatic with the not taking itself too seriously very well and has built up a very good character interaction between the main stars, particularly the 'love-hate' relationship between 'Danno' and McGarrett. The episodes keep you hooked week in and week out. Plus, the photography on the show is first class. This is a Five-0 for the twenty-first century that does remember its roots.
on 10 March 2011
Even though I haven't seen the original series at all, also I watched only watched three episodes of the remake it was excellent. Alex O'Loughlin is excellent as Steve McGarrett, Scott Caan who is son of the famous actor James Caan is also good as Danny `Danno' Williams. The rest cast are also brilliant. I have seen Alex O'Loughlin, Daniel Dae Kim and William Sandler in other television series. Alex O'Loughlin was in `The Shield' and `Moonlight'. Daniel Dae Kim was in `Angel' and `Lost'. William Sandler was in `Roswell High' and `CSI'. I think Hawaii Five-O is a wonderful, brilliant and excellent series that should grow in popularity with a wide audience both young and old. To being honest I believe that it will a worldwide phenomenon just like Lost was. I would give this television series 10 out of 10 and would this as a must see series to everyone.
on 8 May 2011
Brilliant New series!
I haven't seen any of the original series but cant recommend this highly enough!!! Great actors, good stories, jam packed with action and entertaining from start to finish - they need to practice a little on their shooting skills though for when they need to question suspects.....
Will definately be buying season one on dvd when its released, and hopefully it will be around for a few more seasons to come too!!!!
VINE VOICEon 15 July 2015
This was a great introduction to the new Hawaii Five-0 series; Alex O'Loughlin is so different to Jack Lord, yet he settles easily into the role of Steve McGarrett.

A good support cast, plenty of action and far more humour than the original series, this new version seems set to run and run!
on 17 June 2012
I have been rivetted to my laptop every evening for the past two weeks, watching an episode of Series 1 of the new Hawaii Five O American TV Series. Great plots, sharp action and above all a winning combo of inter-character relationships between the new McGarrett (the deliciously brooding Alex O'Loughlin), the new Danno (move over James Caan, your son Scott is uber cool), Chin Ho Kelly played by the enigmatic and charming Daniel Dae Kim and the female team member, Kono Kalakaua - like a breath of fresh Waikiki air on the screen. Even subsidiary support characters are developed with flair and gentle humour. A very sophisticated and classy revival of an old favourite - can't wait for Series 2 - meanwhile I'm ordering Series 1 for a couple of friends and family as I dare not lend out my own. Congratulations ... move over Starsky and Hutch, Cagney and Lacey - McGarret and Danno are back in town!
on 14 May 2015
For anyone thinking of upgrading dvd to blu-ray on Hawaii Five-O in my opinion you would be best sticking to the dvd as the blu-ray has a fine grain in parts, and the picture quality is just the same on dvd except the dvd does not have the slight grainy look, as I said it is only in parts on blu-ray,
on 30 January 2015
a decent attempt at re-making a classic,but using a female(grace park),as kono(originally played by a male,zulu),was a mistake.also it's a pity they decided to destroy the classic and very striking ending of the famous theme tune.regardless of these changes i will still watch the remaining episodes as they are well acted and interesting.