Customer reviews

Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£1.98

on 28 September 2014
The Basement is a short thriller of just 135 pages. The Basement It is about a struggling writer called Marvin Waller who is trying desperately to get his screenplays recognised in the film industry. Meanwhile, two detectives are hellbent on finding a serial killer and Marvin is their number one suspect.

The Book was written from two different viewpoints, first person when it’s Marvin’s scenes and second person when it’s the killers scenes. The second person scenes are intense and can be quite graphic in parts, featuring both violence and sexual descriptions. When the perspective changes, you see a page break and italics and this perspective helps to throw you into the interactions between the killer and their captive. It’s quite clever how Stephen Leather changes perspective like that. It’s quite a shock to the system when it first happens, but for me, it totally works. Stephen Leather has done it well for the most part, it really helps to build the suspense.

The Main character, for me is annoying. I disliked him completely. He’s uptight, but he has incredible self-control and only lets people see what he wants them to see. As you read, thanks to the first person perspective, you get an incredible sense of what he’s really like underneath his façade.

The story starts off well at first and get’s you wondering from the start where it’s all going, it doesn't last long though. At only a quarter of the way through it started to feel a little repetitive. It’s worth pushing through though as it doesn't last long. The suspense builds slowly through and by three-quarters of the way though the intensity is immense. It is completely riveting and really holds me into the story and makes me see every detail of the story in my mind. It’s a far cry from the book that struggled to hold my attention at a quarter. The intensity continues after this point until the end where my heart was beating through my chest and I was all but screaming at the characters.

The ending for me was very unexpected and as I finished my first thought was wow!
on 14 June 2017
High intense, fast paced quick read that was finished in two sittings.

Really enjoyed this book. Liked that it went from the main character's perspective and then to the killer's. I liked that it was short but that you didn't find out the killer's identity until the very end...would make a great film.

Great twist I did not see coming.

Great work Stephen!
on 17 June 2017
Brilliant up until the last page I didn't expect and and don't believe it should have been finished this way normally you may get a half a hint of the truth some time during the story I just wish it had had a proper honest to goodness finish. I absolutely love Stephen Leather books but not this one maybe I should read the end first like some friends do!
on 16 June 2017
Ireally hated that it was not finished. Much as I like Stephen Leather I will be very wary of his books which do not end and I have to wait for the next book to finish the story. What was he thinking about?

Kindle Addict
on 23 June 2017
Very first book I've read written by Stephen Leather, Wow, sooo really impressed!! Couldn't get enough, unbelievably good, and brilliantly written. Will certainly be reading more books by the very talented author.
on 19 August 2016
Got to be good it's by our best author. I have read all his published and self published books and I have thoroughly enjoyed them all,long may they continue.
on 4 December 2013
I have read reviews of 'The Basement' which suggest it is gratuitously nasty, but I disagree. If you like serial killer fiction, and you like a twist, I defy you not to like this. I certainly do like a twist ending. My track record is inconsistent. I didn't see The Sixth Sense coming, but at the end of Jagged Edge I was still waiting for the big reveal, rather than what seemed to me to be the painfully bleeding obvious. Wishing not to spoil, I will say of 'The Basement' only that I was annoyed with myself that the style in which alternate chapters are written didn't, for me, give the game away. It is not a complicated story, and Stephen Leather sensibly doesn't make the book one jot longer than it needs to be. I have read far too many similarly conceived novels that would have been massively improved by being halved in length. This was the first Stephen Leather book I have read. It won't be the last.
on 11 July 2017
Very very good story could not put the book down it was very good the way the story was written a good read and a good twist at the end.
on 22 April 2017
I'm a good ending person and this is just to gruesome and will keep me wondering what could have happenrd
on 8 May 2017
This is a book with unusual characterisations. The author fooled me completely and utterly. I very much admired the plot.