Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£4.48

on 30 October 2012
Roy Locock's fascinating description of his world tour in an MG Midget is written with such a relaxed style, he's either the most laid back retired businessman ever or simply chose not to bother us with the uncomfortable details. I've read a few epic journey books, and often it seems the minutiae of daily life away from the comforts of home become a huge focus for the traveller. I'm sure that's a fact of life on the road, so thanks for sparing us this time, Mr. Locock. Instead we get insights into the daily lives of people in the countries he visits, highlighting the contrasts which exist in quite close proximity under differing styles of government. We also get a sense of the sympathy that develops between man and machine when the relationship is constant and vital as on such a journey. Being from the "points and carburettors" generation myself, I think the Midget would lend itself well to such a relationship, purely because of the accessibility of its technology. Hard to feel sympathy for an ECU, but you can lovingly polish an SU dashpot, and it will reward you by working smoothly as a result. I enjoyed the book, and will look out for further exploits.
on 11 June 2012
OK so I really like MG's. That was the reason I picked this book, but it really is a great read. The sort of road trip you would love to make but just know you are very unlikely to do so.
Highly recommend this book if you have that hidden adventure streak.
on 10 March 2014
Having had a (very unreliable and poorly built) MG Midget from new in the late1970s, I can only express my astonishment at the courage of Roy Locock in taking one round the world!
It was one of those books you find hard to put down; I was half expecting far more problems than he seemed to encounter-even an engine rebuild was taken in his stride. Nice cameos about people he met and places visited, though at times they need developing with a little more depth as, for car buffs, would a little more about the car itself.
Great pity that once more the kindle edition of a book has spelling and grammar errors and the pictures are not well reproduced.
on 28 March 2013
We have am MG Midget and wish we were half as brave as Roy. Not only did he do what most people said would be impossible in a Midget he met many wonderful people really experiencing various cultures by going to so many fantastic places that most of us will only read about. He told the story well and in doing so gave a frank and honest account of how the real people in some the most troubled ares he drove through are, in contrast to what you see and read in the press and on TV are kind, genuine and above all helpful to strangers. His story as well as being very interesting also restored faith in the best of human nature.
on 28 April 2015
I have to agree with a previous reviewer as I actually found it quite a boring read and the author tends to glance over what was obviously an amazing journey. I would have loved him to have included more photos. I imagine that the author is a pretty matter of fact guy so he could not help his writing style. Maybe he did not get the idea to write the book until returning to the UK so was trying to recount the trip from memory rather than keeping a journal while away. I just felt it could have been a so much better book with a little more passion put into it.
on 30 December 2013
What a fantastic journey. Apart from the minor problem of keeping the car intact and running the major problems appeared to be officialdom where border control officers and policemen seemed totally unable to deal with anything out of the ordinary.
Roy Locock is to be congratulated on his achievement and the way in which he dealt with anything arising from problems with the car to revolutions!
A thoroughly enjoyable read whether you are lucky enough to own an MG, or one of the disadvantaged.
on 17 December 2014
I brought this as a gift as I had already read it on my kindle. It is an easy to read story of adventure and travel in a classic car and I would certainly recommend to any classic car enthusiast. Well done to Roy for using his car as intended.
on 25 July 2013
Thinking at first this would be yet another boring travelogue, I approached this book withj some trepidation. However from the first chapter to the last it held me enthralled by its amazing story
on 14 November 2014
Excellent book. Read it in two days. Factual, Historical, Geographical and amusing.
My midget's coming out of the garage this weekend. No matter what the weather holds.
on 28 February 2013
Quite a boring read. Author tends to glance over what was obviously an amazing journey. Appointment in Zambia and survival of the quickest are a much better read.