Customer reviews

100 Acres of Sycamore
Format: Audio CD|Change

on 13 December 2013
Fionn Regan is a Mercury nominated Folk/Rock singer/songwriter from Bray in Ireland.

"100 Acres of Sycamore is his third from four full releases and one that after the previous set of rockyer tunes "Shadow of an Empire", brings him back to his best.

Fionn's gently lilting tones and neat guitar are richly embellished with strings, bringing us a beautifully deep introspective album full of sincere sentiment.
on 17 January 2014
I ordered this CD because I heard one of the tracks ("Dogwood Blossom") during a film and just had to hear that piece of music again. I was pleasantly surprised to enjoy the rest of the CD and actually ordered another CD by this talented young Irishman.
on 17 January 2014
I've been going back to this album for years now, I've seen him live and it's worth buying all the albums, this in particular. The title track, dogwood blossom and list of distractions my personal favourites. Lack district another superbly written song.

A true original.
on 6 February 2012
I heard the track Dogwood Blossom on the new series of Made in England and bought the album on the strength of that. Well written. Melancholic and thoughtful. Glad I found it.
on 24 September 2011
I somehow missed this guy. Passed me by. But i guess i am not alone and it is not too late to get on board
Haunting songs with soul that demand listening. If you at a fan on Bon Iver but sometimes want something more uplifting try this. You will not be disappointed
on 25 February 2015
Great tunes
on 27 August 2011
I listened to this album a few times through, and I must say, my initial reactions mirrored that of the previous reviewer. After about track 6 it started to wash over me. This wasn't necessarily a reflection of the latter songs, merely an indication of the pace and tone of the album. So I listened to the tracks in isolation. Each track, bar one, has its own unique charm, and in fact, this album is drenched in quality: The incredible lyrics on 'The Lake District'; the bouncy romance of 'For A Nightingale'; the beautiful harmonies on 'North Star Lover'; the melancholy of 'List of Distractions'.

Fionn is clearly a gifted songwriter, and he's shown that in the quirky folk of the first album, the jangling rock'n'roll of the second, and the quiet reflective ambient folk of this album.

Clearly, it's not an album of perfection, for, as previously stated, the pace does not build and the songs tend to blend into one without a bit of effort to single out tracks. It is a grower of an album in that respect, but I'm not sure it will capture the imagination of anyone new to Fionn. It is 4 stars for this reason, but also because 'Vodka Sorrow' is a desperate song which does grate on you after about the 15th repetition of "vodka sorrow".

Cracking songs all the same.
2 people found this helpful
on 18 December 2011
I downloaded this after watching TIE88, & haven't been disappointed.
The music sounds familiar to me, as though maybe this guy was in a band previously and I was into him then, I don't know if this is true or not!
He sounds like Richard Hawley, who I LOVE.
Dogwood Blossom is the track from the show, and my current favourite.
on 17 August 2011
I was hoping that this album would be a continuation on the previous two efforts but I am a disappointed. Yes, the lyrics are good, but there is none of that kooky brilliance that made the first album so good, nor is there any of that raucous jangly rock of the second album. What we have is an album that is largely downbeat, with songs around the same pace and not much variety.

Don't get me wrong - there are some great tracks such as the title track, and the string arrangements throughout do add an air of melancholia to the whole affair which is quite nice, but the album verges on being a bit twee on occasion, and I found myself getting a bit bored after about track 6.

My overall disappointment is not helped by some awful reverb effects on his voice in the last few tracks - almost like they were running out of ideas and thought that this would grab our attention back again. It does, but not in a good way!

I don't think it deserves more than 3 stars, unfortunately.
4 people found this helpful
on 27 August 2011
This album is absolutely wonderful. I am a huge fan of Fionn's work, and if you aren't familiar, please do yourself the favor and check out this album. Reminiscent of Leonard Cohen, Bob Dylan - so many beautiful moments in this album. The lyrics show tremendous growth from his previous releases, but you will recognize the warmth and clarity of his fingerpicking throughout the album. My favorite release of the year so far.
2 people found this helpful