on 18 December 2010
The Gospel of the Beloved Companion is truly a remarkable text. Here, in simple language, is a Gospel that lays out a clear and achievable path to Enlightenment, (what Yeshua called the Kingdom of God), and it does so in a logical and consistent manner. I was deeply moved when I read it the first time. As I read, I felt a sense of relief. Here at last were the words and teachings of Yeshua and Miryam; yet, unlike in other Gospels I've read, these teachings made sense. They spoke to my heart. I found that the words of the Gospel resonated within me even more strongly upon subsequent readings.

In the chapters which follow the Gospel itself, author Jehanne de Quillan takes the reader step-by-step through a process of inquiry and discernment, exploring this Gospel in the historical framework of the time in which it was written and comparing it to the canonical and gnostic gospels. She makes her points with impeccable logic, yet invites her readers to come to their own conclusions.

This is a book that touches the heart while, at the same time, making sense to the mind. I am grateful to author Jehanne de Quillan for translating and writing a commentary on this extraordinary Gospel. I hope that each person who reads it finds the experience as powerful and inspiring as I did.
on 19 December 2010
This Gospel carries the "good news" that Yeshua brought to the world of the first century, a message that is timeless and most relevant to us twenty centuries later. Told in the words of Miryam, the Beloved Companion, we are give an eyewitness account of this extraordinary man and spiritual teacher, and we come to know his most faithful follower who understood and fully embodied Yeshua's teachings.

In Miryam's clear and concise language, we gain a profound understanding of what Yeshua meant by the Kingdom of God which is available to all who have the "ears to hear". And what we are invited to hear is a message of love rather than hatred, compassion rather than judgement, wisdom rather than ignorance, and enlightenment rather than fear and guilt. How very different from the voice of the established Church, so often filled with messages of sin, repentance, judgement, fear, guilt and blind faith! The Kingdom of God is not found in some after-life or utopia, but it is already here, within each of us. And this Gospel reveals the steps that one can take to attain that Kingdom or state of full consciousness.

I am deeply grateful to Jehanne de Quillan for her masterful translation and insightful commentary on this revolutionary text. And we can all be grateful to the tradition that, for so many centuries, has safely guarded this sacred text and has now brought it back into the world. I think that this is one of the important books of our time. I urge everyone to read it and discover the power and truth of this extraordinary Gospel.
on 16 December 2010
In translating and publishing the Gospel of the Beloved Companion, Jehanne de Quillan has made a remarkable contribution that reaches far beyond just the field of medieval Occitan culture. Although she claims she is not a scholar, de Quillan, with technical accuracy, lays out a flawlessly logical and philosophically sound argument for accepting that this document is indeed the true Gospel of Mary Magdalene, and possibly even the original manuscript upon which other gospels, both canonical and gnostic, are based. In studying the Gospel of the Beloved Companion, one detects a singular and startlingly clear voice, speaking the truth of what the writer has experienced in the company of her teacher, and through that voice we see emerge a picture of both the man called Yeshua, and the philosophy that he taught, that is starkly different from the religion we today call Christianity.
on 25 October 2013
I can see how well researched and translated Jeanne De Quillan has done with examining this work. It is written with fairness taking into account the conditions of the cultural and religious customs etc., of that period. I was very interested to know the Cathars role in the safe keeping of the manuscript.
on 12 May 2012
I loved this gospel - but the translator provides no proof that the original document actually exists. In spite of this it is really worth reading, especially for the beautifully described spiritual journey at the end. I also found the author/translator's own ideas very thought provoking and interesting.
on 22 March 2013
I have for a long time been very interested in, if not 'driven' to, study and investigate other scriptures and especially gospels which did not appear in the Church authorised canon. In particular I was fascinated with learning more about the gospels which were labelled 'gnostic'. Many of these gospels are not easy always to understand properly without outside help in interpreting their meaning. " The Gospel of the Beloved Companion" is an exception. It is easy to overlook this treasure as it doesn't easily fit into a particular category and was not part of the nag Hammadi find which made other gospels more famous and which gave them some 'authority'having been made 'respectable' by such notable academics as Elaine Pagels.The Gospel of the Beloved Companion is quite simply the Truth which somehow you just recognise instinctively when you read it, even before Ms de Quillan elucidates and brings to bear her extreme commitment to this work and her knowledgable explanations and insight into some of the conclusions which are unavoidable about this gospel and about the canonical gospels also in relation to it. Since I read it I have felt somehow 'complete' spiritually. It verifies everything I have instinctively felt most of my life and has left me much more at peace with myself, knowing the Truth is definitely out there. I will always treasure my copy of this wonderful Gospel. My regret is that I don't have the resources available to me to meet Ms de Quillan or the people in France or the USA who share such a wonderful community based upon this Gospel. Do yourself a favour and read this book. I get the feeling that people who are meant to see it will be, as I was, inexorably drawn towards it anyway.
on 6 January 2014
I found this book easy to read and fascinating. If, as the author seems to imply, The Bloved Companion was, in fact the wife of Jesus, why is she not referred to as this? I will certainly read more.
on 7 April 2013
Very stimulating and profound book. Try to put aside any preconceptions you may have when reading this book. Its extremely well written and researched. Although the author clearly has a passion for the origins and lineage of the source manuscript, she presents a balanced and objective narrative.
For me, this Gospel presents Jesus and His teachings in a very pure way. Put aside your ego and let your heart discern the truth contained within this particular Gospel.
Wonderful book.
JC
on 12 November 2012
A clear & detailed account of Jesus (Yeshua's) teachings. Well written & put together. An unbiased account, that leaves the reader to take from it their own understanding.Appears repetitive in areas, this is so the details & the difference between the Gospels,can be identified & the truth to be acknowledged.Highly recommended.
on 29 January 2014
I'd thoroughly recommend this book. For once in my life, I can make sense of the bible and have a better insight to what really happened to Jesus and Mary Magdalene's part in his life. I feel any woman reading this book will be reassured that women were a key part of christianity - not just providing a womb!