on 22 January 2012
As a big fan of crime fiction, this is exactly my kind of thing. Stephanie is a feisty, sexy cop without fear when it comes to her job. The setting description is subtly enveloping and the action is quick paced. For such a cheap buy, this is well worth a read!
on 30 August 2012
This is one great author and one great series!!!

This is the first book in the Stephanie Chalice series. Sure, you may have to stretch your imagination with this character because she's smart, sexy and a police officer and seems to have everything perfect. Therefore, some might say she doesn't have too much substance. However, I enjoy protagonists in detective stories that are traumatised war veterans!

She day-dreams about sex, is in love with her partner and is very witty. The writing style is great and onto the plot; absolutely brilliant. You are slowly drawn into how these different bodies and events are linked together until the climax which you may have guessed but it doesn't make it any less interesting!

I was left scrambling to find the other two books; the 2nd one I've just started and had to reluctantly put down as I had to go to bed. Since my holidays have been used up and plane reading is out; good thing the weekend's coming up. :)
on 12 July 2012
This book was okay...not brilliant...not a page turner just ok. I felt it only picked up pace in the last 50 pages...I wouldn't rush to read the next one in this series.
on 7 May 2014
The positive reviews which a number of others have given this book suggests that there will be plenty of readers who will enjoy it and want to read more of Mr Kelter’s stories about New York detective Stephanie Chalice. Unfortunately, ‘Don't Close Your Eyes’ didn’t impress me much. There were too many elements which have been done previously, and better, by other crime thriller authors. I found the chapters where Stephanie Chalice takes over the narrative in the first person particularly unconvincing – they read like a middle aged man’s fantasy of how a young woman in her 20s would think, rather than how most actually do.

I'm sure Mr Kelter has his fans, but unfortunately I won’t be reading the next book in the series.
on 11 May 2013
This book was the first one of Lawrence Kelter I have read. The story was excellent and well written. It was a book I had to keep reading to the end. I look forward to reading further books by this author.
on 18 August 2012
This book kept me interested but was a little predictable at times. The main character Chalise is a little off putting sometimes but maybe this is because I am diabetic myself and she is unforgiving with her 'Mother'. All in all though, it is an enjoyable thriller and for 74p you can't go wrong.
on 24 April 2013
I dont usually read detective thrillers so was not sure what to expect with this one. I found it to be an interesting read and the writer seemed to have done some research into the jobs and psycs of the characters. I did not give 5 stars as I could tell the book had been written by a man as the main character was a woman and the way she acted was more like a man's input. Still that may only be my personal feeling. All in all a good purchase that whiled away the time.
VINE VOICEon 16 September 2012
Initially I thought the problem was that Kelter, as a man, couldn't write from the perspective of his main protagonist, who is a woman. However, as the book develops and other, male characters pick up the narrative it becomes apparent that his problem is simply that he can't create believable characters or dialogue of either sex. Couple that with a totally ridiculous plot which manages to be both derivative and full of holes at the same time and you have a bit of a stinker.

The worst element by some way is the completely unbelievable British psychiatrist. If there had ever been any chance of me reading any more of these - which there wasn't - they would have been completely extinguished by what seem to be clear signs that he will reappear in future books.
on 17 November 2014
I didn't enjoy this book at all. I only read half way through. I found the details of her personal life unnecessary and distracted from the story. I would certainly not read another book by this author.
on 18 August 2012
Downloadef this police procedural for under £1 and read it one rainy afternoon. It is quite obviously written by a man who is either attracted to or fascinated by strong women but lacks emotional intelligence.

Interesting plot, some characters are well developed. The main character Stephanie is two dimensional and comes accross as a schoolboy fantasy, gorgeous and she knows her effect on men, so only 3* from me. Would I read another by this author? Only if it was at a reduced price.