on 18 April 2017
An excellent historical fiction story. As you would expect, Prince Pacorus is arrogant and prideful, during a raid on Roman soldiers for an incursion into his father's kingdom he takes a Roman Eagle. His father rewards him with his first command and he sets off to raid behind the Roman lines. At first things go well, but flushed with easy victories he leads his men into a trap. He and his remaining men are captured and shipped to Italy as slaves. Fortunately, destiny hasn't finished with Pacorus and they are set free by the great Spartacus. He joins the rebel leader and builds a cavalry force to aid him. Pacorus learns to respect, befriend and even love these runaway slaves who he once thought were beneath him. After Spartacus dies in the last great battle between the rebel army and Rome's legions, the survivors break into three groups. Pacorus leads his to his homeland and the story continues. I would recommend this to any sword fantasy lover or historical fiction fan.
on 21 December 2012
I'm not sure if I have read the same book as some of the other reviewers. This is one of the best stories I have read for a very long time. It certainly plays loosely with historical fact, but this is fiction, folks, that's the point.
The book is certainly long, but I didn't feel that it was padded; the descriptive passages which some others have criticised really worked for me, and added to the overall enjoyment of what is a truly fascinating story. The main characters are strong, and develop well through the book. As far as I can tell, the author has most of the major historical facts correct, and has simply embroidered his story around them.
Of course, one has to deal with the main problem - the awful technical nature of the e-book. As others have pointed out, it is full of spelling mistakes, grammatical errors, and wrong words in the wrong place. It is very off-putting at first, but you do get used to it ( at least, I did). It is a shame, because I think it will put a lot of people off. It is also the reason I only give four stars, as I have a strict rule about this, because poor editing and proof-reading seem to be endemic in e-books. If it were not for this problem, it would have got five stars.
All in all, a great read; please persevere with the editing problems, and I assure you it is worthwhile. I'm off to get the second instalment, hoping that the criticism of this one means less errors in the second!
on 18 August 2017
A wonderful and surprisingly good, nay superb book, the best I have read in recent times. The plot and was more than believable and I found myself truly caring what happened to the main characters. I was so impressed with Peter Darman's writing that I have already purchased the next three books in this series. A sincere thank you is sent to the author.
on 25 July 2017
Really enjoyed Parthian a familiar story but from a different eye very good!
on 12 July 2012
Quite simply a brilliant book that is superbly written by Peter Darman, he has gained another fan with this book, talk about dragging the reader into the story and holding them there, Peter does this in spades. A fantastic story that certainly holds it's place in Historical fiction. A Masterpiece!
on 4 May 2017
Enjoyable read and a good story but the constant spelling and grammatical errors drive me insane.
on 5 August 2017
Very.good.books123
on 19 September 2017
Great read
on 27 December 2013
It was good and I look forward to the sequel,lots of Action and a different take of a Famous storey
on 3 February 2012
When i first saw the Parthian i thought here we go another story of Spartacus, but the more i read the more interesting the story became. I'm glad the intro was long enough to get me hooked and i am glad it did it was good to see that when the author got exited the words became close but no prize, but hey we know what he means and it doesn't take away the enjoyment of the story. Looking forward to reading the next book well done peter looking forward to reading more books from you in the future.