on 2 September 2015
This started off great and I was hooked by the premise.

The idea of a freak gene is intriguing and I thought it was clever. The reason for a 3 is that the second half of the book dragged on a bit for me. Nothing new really happened and I failed to see where it was going in the end.

I wish it had been longer and the story had actually reached the point.
on 15 April 2012
This was a fun book. I'm a fast reader, and I probably finished it in under two hours. I don't know if it was one of those books that you can't put down, because I didn't try - and didn't want to try! The greatest compliment that I can pay a book is wanting to go back and read it again immediately after finishing. This one didn't quite make that standard, but I'll probably be re-reading it within a couple months.

Pros:
First of all, the whole idea of a gene that allows invisibility is really different. It makes the whole story seem more realistic.
The romance, while there, was not over-the-top. Sam wasn't being the stereotypical teenage-girl-with-a-crush, a character that usually really frustrates me.
Mick. She has to be my favorite character in the first book.
Samantha's tendency to collect other people's clothes was really quite amusing (yes, I over-analyze the little details!)
This one is both a pro and a con: the glimpse of how evil human nature can be. Not exactly pleasant reading, but it's important to remember.

Cons:
There's a little bit of language. Not so much that it's there, but that it didn't add anything, and so tended to distract. Most of it was Mick, and her character is well established without it.
The descriptions of the experiments. Again, this is both a pro and a con, but these are seriously disturbing. Especially when you know that the Nazis did those types of experiments. This is not a book for young kids to read, certainly not without a parent checking it first.
It ended. And it didn't just end, it ended abruptly. Be warned, the ending of this book is not really a conclusion of any kind. If it's not your thing, don't bother persevering to find out what happened, because you'll need to buy the next two. If you love it, then go ahead and order the next two now, you'll want them!
on 28 April 2012
"Rippler" by Cidney Swanson isn't the type of book I would normally read; a young adult urban fantasy novel usually leaves me with cold sweats as I fear it will just descend into standard paranormal romance territory! However, I took a gamble anyway and, luckily for me, it did actually feel like an urban fantasy novel with out a trace of love triangles or vampires anywhere.

The story itself follows Samantha Ruiz who, due to a genetic abnormality, has the ability to ripple which means that she can actually become invisible and without substance. Unfortunately she is unable to control this ability and when she is accidentally spotted vanishing by a classmate named Will she fears that soon her secret will be revealed. However, luckily for Sam, Will actually is aware of Rippling and becomes a friend and confident who tries to help her find a way to control her ability. However, there is more at risk than the ability to ripple being discovered and her life becoming one big science experiment. It also appears that others with the same genetic abnormality have been dying in suspicious circumstances which could mean that Sam's own life is at risk.

It was nice to see a Young Adult novel that felt a little bit unique compared too many of the others out there at the moment. The ideas behind the novel were also very interesting although I found it a shame that Sam's abilities weren't teased out as the story progressed, they were pretty much all just dumped on the reader in one early chapter. Therefore, at first I have to admit that I wasn't sure about the novel as it looked to be concentrated around Sam's struggle to control her ability. However, as the story progressed it became obvious that there was a much greater mystery here that she was getting caught up in. This overarching mystery was enough to keep me interested in the story and the feeling of danger that grew steadily as the story progressed did help to create an enjoyable read.

I really wasn't sure about the characters; Sam herself is actually reasonably likeable with her insecurities and fears helping to endear her to the reader. However, I found Will to be a little bit bland; he just seemed to be there as a font for information on rippling and a love interest. Whilst I actually found that the relationship between Sam and Will progressed at a more realistic pace than I have seen in other books, I am not sure I understand what personality Sam actually saw to make her like him in that way.

The one relationship I did really enjoy and understand was the one between Will and his sister, Mickie. It was very well portrayed and I could feel the elements of sibling rivalry co-existing with the love and warmth they felt for each other. I can imagine many brothers or sisters recognising some of the love filled antagonism present here. In addition, I found that Mickie herself was an entertaining and multi faceted character as well. Whilst seemingly lacking any sense of humour and full of fear, it was always wonderful to then see the warmth and support that she possessed underneath.

I will be honest now though and add that there was one element of the novel that did irritate me quite a bit and this was in regards to Will witnessing Sam disappearing. It just seemed so far-fetched that of all the people there, the only one who saw her was the one person who seemed to be an expert on the ability to ripple. I understand that there has to be some form of suspension of disbelief when you read novels like this but this lucky happenstance was just a little bit too much for me.

Overall, this was an enjoyable young adult novel that felt a little bit unique and different from the usual fare. It does have the odd little niggle here and there and there was no real conclusion to the novel but there is enough to keep most people entertained and personally I will more than happily pick up the sequel in the future.
on 29 January 2012
Sam is nearly 16 and a keen member of her schools cross-country team. She's been alone and depressed in the past following the death of her mother and best friend in a drink related road traffic accident when she was seven. Recently though things have started to look up for her, an old childhood friend has returned to town, and she's become friends with Will, a boy on the cross-country team that she secretly has feelings for. Unfortunately that's when things start to go wrong again.

Whilst on a cross-country day out, white water rafting, Sam mysteriously disappears, leading her coach and team mates to believe that she has fallen overboard. Sam hasn't moved though, she's become invisible. Will somehow knows what Sam has done, and distracts the coach so that Sam can ripple back. Discussing what happened later, it turns out that Will knows all about Rippling - his sister has been doing a research project on the condition, which turns out to be caused by a faulty gene.

Sam and Will then begin to spend more time together, discussing Rippling and trying to help Sam to control the condition, and a romance blossoms. More trouble is in store though when Will's sister tells Sam how everyone who has ever studied Rippling is being murdered, and that she is herself in hiding, fearing for her and her brother's lives.

Sam and Will have to find a way to discover more information about Sam's condition, without attracting attention from the wrong people, although unfortunately it seems that the wrong people might already know too much.

I have to say that I really enjoyed this book. At the beginning I did find it very hard to believe how convenient it was that Sam's best friend just happened to be an expert on an extremely rare genetic condition that people were being killed over, but I kind of forgave that a little as the story progressed. The other downside is that the book didn't really have a proper end - it is part of a trilogy, and ends that way, which means that we all have to wait now for the second and third installments to find out what happens! Cidney Swanson please write faster!
(Book length: 2749 kindle locations)
on 26 December 2016
I downloaded this book purely because the cover intrigued me, it's also the reason why I picked it to read first out of my selected bundle. I don't like to admit it but I often do judge a book by it's cover, I'm glad this one grabbed my attention..
I could not put this book down for all the right reasons, the character development intrigued me, I didn't even realise myself falling in love with the characters by the time I did there was no going back :)
The pieces about the journal really intrigued me, it made the danger that they were in seem all the more real somehow. (I don't want to say too much and give away spoilers)
The only thing that kind of niggled away at me about the book was the place names, I thought the same areas were mentioned too many times.
Overall I really loved this book, I've already started the next one. I can't wait to see where this story goes.
on 8 March 2014
My son recommended this trilogy to me. I found it very different and funny. To ripple seems to be a confusing thing to do with so many hazards and hidden dangers. The whole thing seems to be a bit far fetched, especially the longevity angle. All in all though a great set of continuing stories and well worth the time to resd them. Ideal for early teens to read.
on 31 March 2013
This was a really great book. It was different to anything I have read before and I would recommend it to anyone who loves fantasy novels. I am now really looking forward to reading the sequel!! :)
on 22 June 2013
loved it!! The storyline was really well set. And a perfect length. The characters had a strong bond which held the story. Definitely reading book two!!!! :)
on 12 July 2015
This is a great start to the series. Perfect for young adults. It has a promising sorry line, with great characters and a good amount of suspense.
on 29 January 2013
I love this book! Usually I don't rate 5 for the first in a series but rippler is an altogether awesome book!
XD