Format: Audio CD|Change

on 10 September 2011
I love Doris Day and this was an utter delight. It was nice to hear some of these old songs.
on 10 September 2011
Five stars, because nothing by Doris Day could be less than spectacular!

That said, my disappointment is that four of the selections are already included in albums I own (Bear Family collections) and date back as far as the mid 1950s! For example, the orchestra of one selection is conducted by the late Alex Stordahl (d. 1963). Since these were excellently remastered a few years ago with Melcher's and Day's cooperation and released for anyone to purchase, they should not have been included in this much-anticipated album. These older selections includ "My One and Only Love", "Ohio", "My Buddy" and "Life is Just a Bowl of Cherries"(from the "Love" album).

Otherwise, I hope the powers that be find just about anything else Miss Day has done that we may not have heard, and release it to her very grateful public!
44 comments| 4 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 5 October 2011
As always, Doris Day's voice touches us with love and heart and warmth...Always the consummate artist, she brings to the listener, on this CD---years of experience, phrasing, and taste. Even though they are previously unreleased tracks, they contain the maturity and artisty that Doris always brought to her work. And she speaks about her son, Terry, who passed too young---and he sings to us a lovely song that he wrote. I only wish Doris could have sung a new track in her present voice, because she is ageless, but I'm sure she felt that it might not be as rich as she would like. However, I'm sure that she sings--all the time---to her beloved animal friends...and she will always sing to me in my heart.......Thank you, Doris.....Joe Bousard
on 6 October 2011
You don't have to be old to appreciate the eternal Doris Day,and this is one of her most rewarding offerings.
Great melodies and lyrics that today's songwriters would do well to listen to and learn from.
As for Doris herself; a beautiful voice, superb phrasing and still wonderfully melodic, with excellent backing.
A great buy.
on 26 September 2011
I love this CD. I was a bit doubtful when I read that several of the songs were unknown but in fact they are all very nice and songs that stay in your mind. Doris is a lovely lady and it was so nice to listen to that lovely melodic voice again. Any Doris Day fan should enjoy this CD.
on 17 September 2011
Well I must say I was so excited to read, almost a year ago that Doris was releasing some new material. To me it didn't matter how old the songs were or when she recorded them, IT WAS STILL NEW material that we had not heard before. I knew that her son must have recorded that VOICE at some point in the last thirty or so years. I am glad he did. These are gems. Gems because they were crafted by a master handler and are of rare material. I cherish each of these twelve cuts.
The opening number is the jaunty, perky Doris we all have known all our lives. I remember it from her TV special, it's fun and sounds great.
Yes her voice has matured, and a bit huskey, but it is still that VOICE, I keep talking about. There are many highlights in this album. Heaven Tonight, is nice but the more you hear it the nicer it becomes. Sounds like a 70's mix, which is right up my alley. The Way I Dreamed It, is very good. I think my favorite on this albue is My Heart. The feeling and caressing of Doris's voice make the song a real standout. I can detect that most of the vocals were recorded in mono but the producers did a fantastic job with the remixing and producing. Over all it is a very nice package and one that you should have.
The era of really wonderful singers is GONE. These guys wrote the book and closed it. There are no other flame carriers, when these guys like Doris are gone thats it. There are no more. What a shame. BUT we still have disc like this to remind us and for us to treasure,smile and enjoy. I hope there are more Doris. I have all the Bear Family box releases of Doris's so the two snippets of Life Is Just A Bowl Of Cherries, My Buddy and My One And Only Love, just reinforced how wonder a singer Doris was and most likely STILL IS.
on 7 October 2011
Doris Day has always had a voice to die for,this C.D.is everything I thought it would be. Her diction and clarity are superb,for me personally,it's a breath of fresh air.I can't stop playing it,her son Terry actually sings a song he wrote for her,and in my humble opinion,it should be released as a single..
on 22 April 2016
Most of the songs on this collection were recorded in the mid-eighties for her Doris Day's Best Friends television show. The songs were meant to be used as background music for segments featuring Doris and the animals. The original recording tapes were recently retrieved, and all these wonderful songs were newly remixed using modern techniques, resulting in superior sound quality.

I must admit that I am a loyal Doris Day fan. Thanks to Bear Family Records in Germany, who released 4 huge box sets (24 CDs), covering her entire career. Now, I am overjoyed to find new previously unreleased materials. Her voice was still in top form, unmistakingly Doris Day's, very soothing. One should really listen to her music in a completely dark room. It is refreshing to hear her rendition of Lovin' Spoonful's Daydream and Joe Cocker's You Are So Beautiful, both produced by her late son Terry Melcher, who died of melanoma in 2004. Doris's verbal introduction to Terry's song Happy Endings was truly moving..."Terry was not only my son, but he was my buddy, for all of his life...".

The liner notes are very well written and very informative. It stated that the loveliest track in this collection was Disney Girls. It sounds like a young man (Bruce Johnston of the Beach Boys was 29 in 1971) expressing deep fondness for his childhood - a rock star waxing sentimental for the world that rock and roll itself completely changed. Who better to sing it than Doris Day, an actual, flesh-and-blood icon of that era? (The text references Patti Page and Old Cape Cod, but it could have just as easily mentioned Day and Que Sera Sera). For collectors of music with names of artists mentioned in the song, this is a new addition. The most recent one is Maroon 5's Moves Like Jagger (Mick Jagger).

This album is very well done, and it was a total joy to listen to it in its entirety. The voice and sound are so good that you are going to listen to the music again and again. Doris, when I play this disc again next time in my completely dark music room, I shall close my eyes, and I'll See You In My Dreams. Thanks for this release. Highly recommended.
on 14 September 2011
This new compilation of previously unreleased material from Ms Day is superb from several aspects. Firstly Doris is still in fine voice and despite tracks being recorded decades apart there is little vocal change even on the most recent one. The recording quality and remastering is also of the very highest standard, with every detail of the original session being captured. It is also very nice that Sony (Columbia) has released this set; a studio that Doris has worked with extensively. This release is up to the standard of any record release by any current artist!
on 18 April 2014
What a superb CD; it is not one for today's faint-hearted Rockers but, rather, for those who have a romantic and mature taste. It is the kind of music that needs to be heard more than once to appreciate the subtleties of an old campaigner; it is truly background music when having dinner at some shady-nook with the woman in one's life. What is delightful is that all the lyrics can actually be heard! She looks so feminine and beautiful yet has suffered considerable trauma throughout her life; I hope she can find peace at this advanced stage to her life. If I could dream I would be saying, 'Doris, move over darling'!