on 29 January 2012
I was looking for a lighweight machine which I could carry up and down stairs in a small house. This machine is very portable, and its suction is mightily impressive. It took a little while before I needed to empty it, but then it was simplicity itself to empty the bagless compartment with the dirt. This machine may not suit people with an enormous house, but it's extremely efficient and well designed, and I'm delighted that I bought this model.
on 12 July 2012
I bought this vacuum cleaner as a small stand in whilst our bigger vacuum is being repaired. Half an hour after it arriving we decided not to bother with the repairs, but buy another one of these instead; one for upstairs, one for downstairs. Easy to assemble upon delivery, I was hoovering 3 minutes after it was delivered, this product is light in weight and small enough to sit on stairs. When set on full 'suck' it pulled me around the house! I ended up with it set lower than the Eco level which was perfectly adequate for both our carpets and wooden floors. There is an ingenious brush/nozzle combination which I have never seen before, which allows a brush to be kept on the nozzle attachment and pushed down and clipped to the end of the nozzle when needed, thereby facilitating the easy use of the brush rather than having to keep changing the attachment. It is also easy on the eye, not at all a monstrous eye sore that has to be hidden away. My only two niggles are: it tips over onto it's side when pulling out the power cable which emerges from the side, rather than from the back. Also the brush tends to slip back up the nozzle whilst in use. It is not really very firmly 'clipped' into place, so one has to be on alert about scratching when using the brush. All in all however this is a really good buy, highly recommended.
on 19 July 2012
I bought this as a second cleaner to keep upstairs as I have a white-haired dog who sheds hair all over our beds. This is powerful, neat small sized cleaner and with the small attachment picks up all the hairs off the duvets really well. It has powerful suction on the carpets as well. It does run quite hot after a while but I dont usually have it on for that long anyway. The only drawback is that its difficult to clean out the reusable bag/filter inside and I usually end up washing it out once a week or so to get all the hairs off the fabric. Was a good buy for the price I paid. Ive had it a couple of months now
on 13 September 2012
I ordered this against my better judgement, equating 'cheap' with 'nasty'. Wrong! Although the slider on the handle won't last long if used regularly the rest of this is a little smasher. It's stable, I've had £100++ machines that toppled more easily. It has the necessary attachments - I love the fact that the crevice tool and dusting brush clip together and all the tools clip to the rigid hoses... right at your finger tips. It sucks like crazy snd just keeps on sucking, leaves from my front porch, thread from my sewing room, a sock! And it's easy to empty too.

Time will tell how long this will last, but it's pretty cheap so I'm not expecting much - let's hope I'm pleasantly surprised.
on 10 May 2013
I bought this vacuum to replace my Panasonic 1600 because I could not get any replacement filters for it. This one is almost identical except it is 18800W instead of 1600 and thankfully it does not have the awful concertina filter that is so laborious to clean. I have a 4 bedroomed house with all the floors being laminate or tiles except for a carpeted lobby, the stairs and some bedside rugs. I found an upright is not versatile enough and I did buy a Dyson DC47 multifloor at first but had to return it straight away because the suction was ferocious and not variable other than by a spring loaded lever which you need to hold up the whole time you want the suction reduced - ridiculous! Also, the telescopic tubes were much too fat to hoover under beds with.

So after much research I settled on the Morphy Richards Essential 73294 but beware as I believe this model may soon be obsolete because I found getting hold of replacement filters (especially the motor protection one) was almost impossible. I thought a spare set from the off would be wise!

Pros: It is lightweight but quite powerful; it has a good range of tools which all fit onto the tubes easily and do their jobs well; it is bagless and not too much hassle to empty (although nowhere near as easy as Dysons); it has both variable power and variable air suction control - so no flimsy curtains are dragged up into it by mistake and destroyed; the tubes etc fit together very easily and go under beds etc well; the tubes make up to a good height (I am 5' 6" and it was a very comfortable height for me) but you can use less of them to vary that - I like to have the stair tool attached directly to the flexible hose to give me most control; it also has a comfortable handle. If you register online, the guarantee is extended to 2 years rather than just one.

Cons: the electric cable really needs to be a bit longer to enable cleaning the whole staircase from just one powerpoint - I only have 14 stairs with a half landing in the middle, fortunately I have powerpoints both at the top of the stairs and at the bottom, but it is a nuisance having to unplug and replug when almost through this job - it is just 2 treads short; the cable rewind can be tempremental - sometimes just not wanting to rewind at all without a great deal of encouragement and other times whipping the cable in at the speed of light; the bin does not seem to collect any dirt for emptying as such - it is always packed tightly against the filter basket, which take a lot of cleaning off. This is an unpleasant job and I think maybe a softish brush might be useful (taking care not to cause damage); fitting the two halves of the machine back together again after emptying can be quite tricky - it has to be aligned just right. Clicking the storage hook on the bottom of the combination floor nozzle to the storage hook on the actaul cylinder is not a good idea - it makes the appliance very tall for storing (it would never fit in my understainr cupboard like that) and is very difficult to unclick when you want to remove it.

I did my research thoroughly - especially after the Dyson disappointment - and knew these cons in advance. They were compromises I was prepared to make for the light weight and versatility. I think they are minor niggles considering the pros and the price of this machine. It is very quiet on the low settings and no noisier than most other vacuum cleaners when set to it most powerful. I also own a lightweight Dyson upright which I use on my lobby carpet and occasionally the downstairs rooms if I don't want to bother hoovering under things (the 'wand' is extremely unweildy to use), so with both machines I am pretty well covered.

Conclusion: If you want a small, versatile, lightweight, powerful cylinder hoover, don't have pets and/or huge amounts of carpet and are prepared to make the compromises mentioned above, then I highly recommend this one but I suggest you check with Morphy Richards if they are still making it - and if not if you will still be able to get replacement filters for it.
on 10 September 2012
I bought this as a compact cleaner for my caravan and it is perfect. Nice a small to store, but with a really good suction. You can change the amount of suction, to prevent it sucking up your doormats! The bagless compartment is quite small, but once you get used to it,it is easy just to empty after every hoover. It is well made and all the attachments are well thought out. Would recommend for smaller house/holiday home etc. Great buy!
on 7 April 2012
I paid £40 for mine and it is a bargain. There is so much power (which is variable)in this little thing. Its great for cleaning the car as its so light. It has a soft start which gives you enough time to pick the handle up before the hose sucks hard onto something. Will need emptying often but its so light and a pleasure to use. Only bad thing about it is the brush attachment fits onto the long nose attachment and moves with a little force but i dont mind living with that as i only use that attachment for the car. Highly recommend this little one.
on 6 February 2013
really like this machine. it's easy & light to pull along & as I am disabled that is quite important for me.
like the colour too. Very good at picking up dog hair. Would definitely recommend this cleaner.
on 15 August 2012
I am pleased with the product. I made the choice after reading the reviews and am glad I bought it. The suction is really both on carpet and vinyl floor in my house. It makes much less noice than my previous Hoover.
on 17 December 2012
I bought this for my husband as he wanted a neat little vacuum cleaner for the car. I tried using it in the house but it wasn't up to the job of getting up dog hairs but my husband is highly delighted with it for the car.