Top critical review
142 people found this helpful
Good suction but....
on 25 May 2012
I had a Dyson DC08 for about 5 years. Motor packed up (which seems to be a fairly common occurrence judging by reviews) hence the need to look for a replacement vacuum. Didn't want to spend a fortune and this Morphy Richards had good reviews so decided to take the plunge.
1. Good Suction
2. Looks good
3. Very quiet (compared to Dyson)
4. Controls easy to use for On/Off and Cable Rewind
1. Hose far too short (the hose on my old Dyson is nearly two feet longer). This may not be an issue for others but I found it more awkward in use e.g. you find yourself dragging the machine more.
2. Awkward for doing stairs. Again this is attributed to the short hose but also the body doesn't seem to sit well on a stair when half way up a flight. The Dyson was more stable in that regard (even though they are about the same weight).
3. Very small canister compared to Dyson (which therefore needs emptying more often).
4. One touch emptying of canister good but, as someone else noted, not all contents fall out automatically i.e. you have to reach in to get the remaining bits that get stuck further up the canister).
5. Cable shorter than Dyson by about 1m.
6. When stored, the vacuum head attaches to the back of the machine. However, the 'tube park slot' is offset which means the head is offset which in turn makes the vacuum that much wider. This might be relevant if your storage space is restricted.
In summary, the Morphy Richards, despite it's shortcomings, is a decent vacuum for the price. However, I feel that with a couple of modifications - increased cable/hose length, bigger canister size - this really could be a match for a Dyson.