on 7 October 2011
I must admit to never have heard of Frank Turner until this years festivals.
I was just flicking through the channels and saw Frank's set from Reading/Leeds and was blown away, and I went out and ordered this CD.
I was not disappointed and went on to but the other three studio albums.
Having read a lot of other reviews, I feel a little bit of shame that i didnt hear of this guy before, he is most definitely the best artist of his kind at the moment and the songs he writes are truly inspiring, melodic, cheeky and every other superlative that you can think of. Its intelligent and moving and makes you want to have a beer and realise that it aint so bad after all.

Eulogy, will be on my headstone when I am done on this world !
on 11 June 2011
I, a Wessex born southern boy have been a fan of Mr Turner's since the days of the Railway. Whilst his last album was a foray into the heavier side of life; England Keep My Bones is classic Frank folk through and through, him doing what he does best. There is not a weak song in here. We have personal lyrics and exquisite guitar. This is absolutely an album up there with, what I think is his best, Love Ire and Song. Frank is a God.Love Ire and Song
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 4 April 2015
I am currently going through some kind of Frank Turner fan-boy phase in a big way, and his fourth studio album, 2011's 'England Keep My Bones' is currently on heavy rotation. As with all this man's releases, the guy has made brilliant record of folk/rock music that will inspire, encourage and motivate. The songs here are the kind that you'll want listen to if you have a bad day to lift you up again. Songs so powerful that they almost make you feel reborn.

Many of the tracks here deal with the theme of protest and survival, and the master singer/songwriter, as always, pays his respects to his past loves, countrymen, and musical rock idols that came before him. The opener 'Eulogy' is an epic, with a great, positive message that I will take on board, the soulful 'Peggy Sang the Blues' is further proof of this guy's genius, and 'I Still Believe', which has a pretty straight forward meaning, music save us, specifically rock and roll, and how true that is.

Frank is an atheist, and some of the songs here are anti-religion, some of which are more subtle than others. I'm not an atheist myself, but I respect his views, and they don't prevent from playing this disc on repeat at all, my one expectation is 'Glory Hallelujah', the complete opposite of a church hymn which I have to be in the mood for.

Enjoy 'England Keep My Bones' as much as I do, as we anticipatedly wait for this next album due to be released later in the year. Many thanks Mr. Turner!
on 25 June 2011
Now I am not going to pretend that I have been following Frank Turner since he first appeared on stage, singing in his Junior school end of term play. However, I am going to wax lyrical about the greatness of his latest offering. I stumbled upon his wonderful live presence whilst waiting for James at last years' Latitude and he ended up as my highlight of the day.

As for this album, it is full of clever lyrics and choruses that you just want to shout out of the window of your car as you fly along a dull dual carriageway (within the legal speed limits ofcourse!). It is also full of historical references-which I love-few albums have a song about William Rufus in them (English Curse).

At the risk of upsetting the purist fans (but for the benefit of those who have yet to buy a Frank Turner album) this album is reminiscent of Billy Bragg's album about Englishness...with a touch of the Levellers' early albums. Heavier, and not quite as good as "Love, Ire & Song" but still brimming with sing-along anthemic classics. "I Still Believe" deserves to be sung by a crowd of thousands whilst songs like "Rivers", "Song for Eva Mae"(bonus song on the limited edition version) and "I am Disappeared" can be enjoyed at home, with a pint of ale, roaring fire and tear in one's eye. "Redemption" is what those prone to emotional openness would call 'beautiful' and just another facet of this varied album.

I was going to give this album 4 stars as it is less amazing than "Love, Ire & Song"...then I thought that this was unfair. This is Frank Turner's second best album. I will give "Love, Ire and Song" 6 out of 5!
VINE VOICEon 21 June 2013
It's rare these days for anyone to create an album on a theme, but this one - written by master lyricist Frank Turner about his love for England - is beautifully crafted, and makes me more patriotic than I have felt for a long time.

If you're new to Frank Turner, prepare yourself for a wonderful selection of poetic and profound lyrics, which will uplift you, make you shiver and occasionally make you well up. Well, that's what you'll do if you're anything like me or the hundreds of thousands who have been converted to followers by his constant touring and the constant and improving quality of his songwriting.

If you're not new to Frank, but don't buy this album: on release, it felt to me like perhaps his best work, even if the far more raw Love Ire & Song [Explicit] perhaps means more to me personally. The songwriting is taken to a new level, and in making the songs - deliberately or not - centre around his love for England, this feels like a true album: something that should be consumed as a whole.

There are numerous highlights, starting with the singles: the stomping Peggy Sang The Blues, the catchy, live favourite If Ever I Stray, the beautiful Wessex Boy - an ode to having a truly British home town - and the spectacular anthem I Still Believe, made extra famous by its broadcast as part of the Olympic open ceremony. But of course the true quality of an album like this is in the album tracks, and this one is singularly spectacular: from the mini opening track, Eulogy to the awesome closer, Glory Hallelujah, via the soaring I Am Disappeared and stomping One Foot Before The Other, this is superb.

It's no exaggeration to say Frank Turner has had a profound effect on my life, and this is a superb place to start, continue or complete your Frank collection.

(Oh, and as a post-script, if you can get the deluxe edition, the extra tracks that come with that are well worth a few extra quid: the lovely Song For Eva Mae, written about his goddaughter, the heart-wrendingly sad Wanderlust, the soaring and brilliant Balthazar, Impresario - containing some of my favourite Frank lyrics so far - and sometimes the starkly simple Sailor's Boots.)
on 2 February 2013
I thought I'd keep the title simple on this one...

I came across this album having heard one of the tracks being recommended by another one of my favourite bands. I enjoyed it so much that I thought I'd give the album a punt. I'm definitely more than happy to have given it a shot as this was one of my albums of 2011/12.

The folky/rocky tone throughout the album is complimented by a variety of songs, an essential in the folk arena where far too many bands sound very "samey" throughout the album.

I'd happily recommend this to anyone, more so to those who are fans of the folk genre!
on 18 April 2012
I loved 'Wessex Boy' when I first heard it, but I'm not one to buy an album on the back of hearing one track. But then when the first play of 'I Still Believe' reached my ears, I was straight on Amazon. So glad I bought it - one of those CDs where you turn up the volume a bit with each new track, until there just is no more up! It's inspiring, it's patriotic, it makes you move, and 'English Curse' is an absolute goosebumps song. Turner's voice is strong and passionate, and I'm off to find some of his other albums. Brilliant CD :)
on 9 June 2011
Have to say that I always worry when I like an album this much this quickly. Does that mean it's too immediate and that it will be back of the shelf in a week or so? I don't think so, like his last one, this has real staying power. It has a fuller sound than before, more things going on in the background and that gives me a feeling that this is less rushed than Poetry of the Deed. There's more variety in the sounds as well with brass and string arrangements, he's working with some good blokes that band. There's variety in the songs as well, 'One Foot Before the Other' sounds like he's covering Million Dead and there's even an acapella folky style song. Other songs (If I ever Stray, Wessex Boy) cover familiar ground to previous albums, but with stuff as good as this, that's not a bad thing.

Overall, big subjects, big choruses, big songs and big arrangements. For his fans, a no-brainer top buy. For the neophytes, a very good place to start.
on 24 June 2011
This is another fabulous album from Frank Turner, one of the great unsung heroes of British music. Is this the one that will finally win him the fame and recognition that he deserves? Maybe. But then I thought that would happen with each one of his previous albums!

The tracks on England Keep My Bones are varied and the arrangements more complex than last time out, but the quality of the album is consistently high. It's a little heavier than the previous effort, but the effect is to add depth to the music rather than simply add noise. Right from the first track (Eulogy) the album builds on the themes that he's explored in his previous albums. Particular highlights for me include Peggy Sang the Blues and Wessex Boy, but the album is so strong that everyone will have their own favourites.

As has been pointed out in other reviews, try and catch Frank live if you can. He's the only musician I've ever been to see twice in a single week. 'Nuff said.
on 23 February 2013
This is probably the most commercial of the stuff I have heard from Frank Turner. And for that it is still an album full of good songs. I should say I am a big fan of Mr Turner. So this is far from being an unbiased review.

From Eulogy to Glory Hallelujah by way of songs about belonging and death and Englands Curse, each song has it's own merits. All tell a story and all are great songs.

I recommend this to anyone who likes modern folk music performed by a talented artist.