on 5 February 2013
This is a masterpiece which many have never heard of.

It's hard to accept, when considering what must have taken years to complete, that it had so little exposure.

I was just lucky to see the original broadcast and to tape it onto my Sony C7 BetaMax.

I bought the cassette as soon as it was released and it has been played to death.

Now I am lucky to have searched at the right time and bought it via Amazon two weeks ago.
It is simply spectacular.

Following problem is that on my recommendation, and seeing You Tube clips, a friend and her brother both ordered it straight away.

Neither of their DVDs would play although the brother managed to play his on his PC, which is most strange!

This is a known problem, and I just hope they will sort it out, and re-issue, as it is very disappointing!
33 Comments|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 1 August 2017
very good.
on 21 May 2016
This is a collectors piece of rare originality. Brilliant!
VINE VOICEon 29 July 2010
If you get a chance to buy this rare cd, please do! It's a very amusing representation of a brilliant nonsense book by Lewis Carroll. For example casting Art Garfunkel as the Butcher was a stroke of pure genious!
on 7 April 2017
Had the CD - wanted the dvd as well. I think it's great.
on 24 November 2010
We had this album on tape when I was a kid and I can remember the watching of the televised version in 1987 being a great occasion. It was constantly on in the car for long journeys and listening to it again now for the first time in at least 15 years I have remembered why. The music doesn't sound dated at all, the orchestrations are deep and lovely, and the cast members are frankly amazing. Also, I still remember 90% of the words which is pretty impressive.

If you've never heard this album before - get it, listen to it though a couple of times and I guarantee you will be impressed. I'm just so pleased that it's out again - and I really hope it's more of a success this time round. It deserves to be!
on 2 November 2010
I had never heard "The Hunting Of The Snark" but had wanted to for years and I missed the 1991 edition. There are reviews of the music and performances elsewhere on Amazon; I can only say that since receiving it yesterday I have played it six times in a row. I really can't remember the last time I did that, and I buy a lot of music.

The whole package is top notch. The concert picture is brilliant given 1987 standards. The reason for this entry is to note that the audio remastering is very special on both cd and dvd. I don't know what the original sounded like but this is fantastic giving real depth and scope to the sound, and really bringing the different individual performances and styles to life, absorbing the listener into the music. I can't see from the booklet who mastered this edition, but I wish they'd had a hand in many of the cd's I've bought over recent years.

This piece will appeal to listeners who appreciate great compositions, cleverly arranged, and performed by artists and musicians of the highest calibre who sound and look as if they really mean it.
on 9 November 2010
I have been a fan of Mike Batt's "Hunting of the Snark" since I first saw the excellent musical of it in 1991 a couple of times. I was very sad it closed after several weeks and no one will be able to understand why after they hear this excellent recording. I'm pleased the concept album has been reissued as I hope it will generate extra interest and I think the sound quality is a little better. My favourite songs are the Introduction, Children of the Sky, Midnight Smoke and the Escapade. The DVD is very enjoyable as I never saw the concert screened on TV. Billy Connolly is surprisingly good in the role as the Bellman, and so are the others. Also my favourite tunes are on the menu backgrounds. I am thrilled to see in the CD notes that Mike Batt will probably record the whole score and issue it in a few years time as the missing songs from this CD are truly brilliant too. I just hope this package will mean there is more to come with regard to the Snark. If anyone is interested, a song missing from this CD called "Whatever You Believe" has been recorded by Finbar Wright.
1212 Comments| 7 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 10 November 2010
Yes it is finally back after years of promise. This is a fabulous star-studded concept album. There are two discs in this set. Dramatico have finally re-released the original album but now bundled with a DVD of the concert. The first disc is the CD of the wonderful, wonderful concept album narrated by Sir John Guilgud and John Hurt and featuring great vocal performances by Roger Daltrey, Art Garfunkel, Julian Lennon, Cliff Richard, Mike Batt, Captain Sensible, Denice Williams and Maggie Reilly and instrumental performances from Stephane Grappelli (violin), George Harrison (guitar) and Chris Spedding (guitar). What a cast! I cannot recommend this CD too much!! And then, to top that, the second disc is a DVD of the hour long TV Concert version of the album at The Royal Albert Hall featuring many of the artists from the original album, with some replaced by Billy Connolly, Justin Hayward and Midge Ure. BRILLIANT.

I saw the shortlived full length London West End theatre show (not the hour long concert version) which was prematurely closed due to idiot critics who don't know a great thing when they see it. I asked at the box office for the best single seat they had and found myself sat next to the master, Mike Batt himself. I was so in awe, I was unable to strike up an appreciative conversation - something I regret to this day. A great show - and a great album. I have the concert on video already which I recorded off the tv when broadcast by the BBC. If only the full length show were available (Mike Batt has said he wants to record the full length show which has more songs and a tighter plot - one day) but this album/concert bundle is certainly worth having.
55 Comments| 8 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 9 March 2003
The CD for the Hunting of the Snark is amongst the most amusing pieces of audio entertainment that I have heard for a long time. It is not only funny, but the vocalists are highly talented and add a great deal to what can be considered a worthwhile investment, if only for listening to in the car on long journeys.
If I had to make a criticism of the CD, it would be that it only covers a selection of the material that it possibly could have, making me in particular wish that there was more to listen to when the CD eventually spins to a close!