Cold Comfort Farm [DVD]
Format: DVD|Change

on 5 October 2012
Well done to Stella Gibbons for writing the book. Cold Comfort Farm on the screen is very entertaining - with some odd charcters and some not quite so odd.

Kate Beckinsale is charming, young and has plans for the occupants of Cold Comfort. She is aided by her contacts in the big city to transform the lives of the farmhand, the forever pregnant young girl, the pixie-like daughter and various other members of the family to whom she is cousin...and last but not least her Aunt Ada Doom who has locked herself away in her bedroom since "seeing something nasty in the woodshed".

Lovely cast includes Stephen Fry, Joanna Lumley, Rufus Sewell, Freddie Jones and Ian Mckellen. Set in the 1930s, they lure you into their odd little world blending the well-to-do with rustic country-folk.

It's quite intriguing and I think you will be compelled to see just how Kate as Flora Poste, manipulates her country relatives into their new lives.
One person found this helpful
on 26 March 2014
I haven't read the book but I have a feeling that, in less skilful hands, this film could have been a disaster. The characters are so close to being caricatures that it is like being in a time warp and you wonder why this delicately raised young lady doesn't leave the very next morning. However, with the self confidence of youth she rises above everything and sets about sorting out the family members one by one. She is like Jane Austen's Emma set down in a story by Dickens. I thoroughly enjoyed this film for the quality of the acting, which was to be expected just by looking at the cast list, but unless the director is equally skilled fine acting cannot overcome bad decisions. So, a good job all round.
on 12 May 2013
I bought this to replace my old Video, and no doubt, in the future, will have to update it again. My reasons for doing so will be apparant to anyone who knows Jane Austen's Emma because you will understand the allusions, and parody, but even if you don't, this is first-class acting by a first-class cast. It is a production that can be enjoyed by young and old alike; my sulky, street-wise 14 year old niece from inner-city London who was determined not to watch a recommendation by her rural English teacher aunty, was immediately captivated. Other reviews will explain the story, and the cast speak for themselves; I will just add that it's delightfully humourous; elegant costumes are juxta-posed with farmyard earthiness, and it all trips along with light, sparkling ease.
on 22 March 2011
The film has a brilliant cast who portray a set of eccentric characters extremely well.
It's such fun, - so witty. It's set prewar and the heroine, Kate Beckinsdale and her Aunt, Joanna Lumley, are both very modern and forward looking, no nonsense women. They bring light and liberation to the comically gloomy and depressing Cold Comfort Farm with it's set of strange country characters. Ian McKellan, as the preacher who sends his congregation into quivering jellies is hilarious.
I recorded this film from Television some years ago. When transfering to DVDs I binned the original as I wanted to replace with DVD. To my dismay I couldn't find any that weren't Zone 1 play but eventually tracked one down and the film was just as good as I remembered. Well worth the search. A classic 'feel good'.
I haven't read the book but am told that the film does it justice.
One person found this helpful
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 10 May 2012
This is a remarkably successful adaptation of a difficult book to capture. Although perhaps not having the sophistication of the TV series several years ago which tried to demonstrate the literary origins of the work and the fact Stella Gibbons demarcated the different writing styles in a hysterically funny manner, this TV film works well. The cast is strong, the direction accomplished and the design impressive. The transfer is perhaps not as well encoded as it could be and was certainly not up to the quality of a recent TV screening of the " film" but it just about passes.
3 people found this helpful
on 2 November 2017
This replaces the tape I have all but worn out, this is one of those feel good films that always brings a smile when we need cheering up. Just wonderful.
on 20 October 2017
I have always loved this book and the film didn't disappoint me. The casting is superb. This is a simply joyous film.
on 4 April 2018
Arrived earlier then expected date a really great version of Cold Comfort Farm.
on 5 June 2018
Love this film, one of our favourites, great story, great actors,
on 30 May 2018
Not as good as reading the novel. Not bad though.