Customer reviews

Janome TXL607 Sewing Machine

on 15 February 2017
At first I loved the machine ,but after a few months got very noisy and the spool jammed constantly . I had it serviced locally as so expensive to send back to seller .The spool holder was replaced . After a few months the same problem ,I am constantly having to unscrew cover and adjust spool holder as it slips round and replace a broken needle caused by it .I would happily throw the machines out of the window . Saving for a new machine which hopefully will be happy to stitch daily ,not a Janome
on 17 November 2013
I bought this machine at a exhibition last year and therefore was an impulse buy with little research done! However, I totally love it. This machine impressed me with the number of stitches provided for the price (I paid £479). The machine is quieter than any I have used before (my old brother!) and copes with thick quilts and fabrics with ease. This machine is versatile, it can be used for simple sewing projects but is also precise and sturdy enough to cope with larger and more intricate designs. The machine has never given me any trouble nearly two years in and is so simple to use. I definitely won't be changing this for another machine!
on 6 September 2013
A lovely machine and so nice not to have to worry about sorting out tension etc as more or less does it all for you. Seems very easy to use and I would recommend this. I used it before I realised before I realised there was an instruction DVD but neverthelss.quite easy.
on 4 May 2012
28.08.15 - review update (again). Machine was now out of warranty, but the same old problems reoccurred, i.e. not recognising foot pedal and not sewing at all anymore. Contacted Janome via email, and this time their customer service was much better. I received an email the next day asking me to call and arrange to have the machine picked up and repaired, free of charge as a good will gesture.
This might have to do with the fact that doing searches on the internet I have found that other people have had the same problem.
Anyway, machine was soon picked up and a week later returned, with a replaced mother circuit board ( which was probably the problem from the start ). So now hopefully, I can enjoy sewing with her again :).
25.03.13 - review update. I still think this machine is brilliant for all the reasons I have listed below, but I have had to change my review from 5 stars to 2 stars, and this is due to the way I have been treated by Janome customer service. This machine started developing problems with not recognising the foot pedal soon after I bought it, and Coopers Sewing Machines, from whom it was purchased, sent me a new pedal and all was well. Now 11 months after purchase the machine will longer sew either with the foot pedal, or by pressing the stop/start switch. Basically, it no longer works. Coooper Sewing Machine is not willing to collect and fix it unless the machine is in its original box, which apparently it states in the warranty that you should. However, if I was to keep the boxes from every purchase I make, I would have to build an extension, so I no longer have it. They will send me out a new box for 25 pounds !!! 25 pounds for a cardboard box. On contacting Janome customer services, which don't open until 11 am and are not available over lunch, I was told they fully support Cooper's and will only provide a carboard box for 23 pounds. So now I basically have to pay out, or not get my machine fixed. Given the price of the machine this is unbelievable. Given how much I loved my Janome machine I also purchased an overlocker by the company. I am just praying it doesn't go wrong...
So, upshot. Great machine (still think that) but no sign of the legendary Janome reliability with it breaking after 11 months, and customer service that leaves a lot to be desired. Next time I'll buy a Pfaff !

ORIGINAL REVIEW
Having just started sewing Christmas 2011 after buying a Singer 2623, which was a brilliant starter machine, I wanted to upgrade as I have really taken to sewing and love doing it.

I initially bought the Singer Curvy 8770 but it was faulty, and I simply didn't trust that particular model after that. So, it was sent back and I settled on this Janome as it had been my second choice after the Curvy.

I am so glad, that I did, as it is even better than the 8770. The instructions are easier to follow, and the computer interface is totally intuitive to use. It has all the same features as the 8770 plus more !

I particularly like the automatic thread cutter, which saves on hassle and thread and gives a very neat finish. The speed control is also very useful, as for tricky bits you can set the slider to go nice and slow regardless of how hard you press the pedal. You can also detach the pedal and sew without it, but much like cruise control I am not a big fan of this.

The machine sews beautifully, unlike with the 2623, I hardly ever have a broken thread and neither does the bottom of the seam foul up like it did with the first machine I had. Stitches are very even and my husband has commented on how quiet the machine is - he can even watch TV whilst I am sewing.

It sew threw thick fabric with ease as it seems to have a lot of penetrating power, again something I had had trouble with before.

The quilting pack is a real bonus too, with lots of useful extra feet and an extension table which helps when you are sewing big projects.

Thumbs up all round.
99 Comments| 69 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 18 December 2013
It worked for 30 seconds then kept clogging up all my thread and the sellers were really rude and it took me a while to get my money back!!! They even offered to get it repaired the cheek of it !! it was brand new and it had broken on my first go which was ridiculous!!! I do not recommend the seller or the machine!!!! I had a bad experience with both so from experience I wouldn't recommend!!!
33 Comments| 12 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 21 April 2015
I haven't owned this machine for long. I have several other machines, but all are too heavy to take to classes and workshops, so that is the reason for this purchase. I do a lot of sewing and am quite discerning, but I have found this machine to be user-friendly, simple to operate and it does all I need it to do. As an only sewing machine, however, it would not suit my needs.
I find the harp space quite small, as I am used to larger machines, and the area between the header and the needle is tight, when changing the presser foot. To do any free motion work, it is necessary not only to change the foot, but also to remove the ankle, which I find irritating and fiddly. A different bobbin, not supplied and cost £33, is recommended for this work, too. Neither is a vertical spool pin included, but the one from my Brother machine fits, so I use that.
The number of stitches is, I think, somewhat exaggerated, but they are enough for my requirements, and they do stitch out well. I don't have any issues with the stitch quality at all. The only thing I don't like is that stitch length is only adjustable in 0.5 increments, i.e. 1.0, 1.5; 1.2, for example, is not possible. I prefer to have that much more control. Having said that, it is a lot of machine for the money and I was lucky enough to get it while the free quilting kit was included, which is a good deal at £499.
on 18 December 2016
I have had Yeo students come to me with this machine. One, her lock stitch randomly executes a lock mid seam?! Janome told her she's doing something wrong. I explained she's not the only one with this issue. Another, her computer fails to change stitch so she has to switch off to edit. Frustrated with janome, their after sales is rubbish.
on 20 February 2014
It took me ages to research the right machine to replace my old faithful Elna. I do a lot of dressmaking and I wanted a machine that had the option of embroidery stitches. In the end I chose this on the basis of reviews I read on Amazon and on the Internet in general. Don't get me wrong, it's a nice machine with some lovely features. I love the long stitch and electronic start/stop element. The disappointing element for me has been the embroidery stitches especially the lettering. I don't find the quality of the embroidery very good at all (especially the lettering) and I really don't know where the 402 stitches are. My machine has 92 embroidery stitches and 280 letters, 99 of which are unusable because they are a foreign alphabet. Considering the price I was expecting something much more sophisticated that would give a higher quality output. If I could go back I probably wouldn't buy this machine.
on 15 November 2015
Bought my TXL607 in August 15. Almost immediately there was a problem with machine not recognising foot pedal. Took pedal back to seller (200 mile round trip but was going there anyway). They couldn't exchange pedal and said it needed to be sent to Janome. Called Janome - they don't want pedal back but whole machine. In its original packaging. Which I don't have. Having paid £500 for thus machine, I really don't want to send it back (I use it every day). Now stuck for next steps to take. Will never buy Janome again!