Learn more Download now Shop now Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Best of 2017 Shop now Shop now

• Baby
  • Customer reviews

Baby
Format: Audio CD|Change

TOP 500 REVIEWERon 19 May 2014
With high quality production, well-written grunge/indie/glam rock songs too sing along to, Tribes' debut album 'Baby' is a mixture of these different styles, and was a sign of good things to come. It's an ambitious record, but an absolutely brilliant one. This young guitar band, with Johnny Lloyd as vocalist and guitar player, never made the big impact they should have done. Their second album 'Wish To Scream' only peaked in the charts at no.45 last year, whilst having to compete against a lot of manufactured pop rubbish. 'Baby' did better though, and briefly dented the top 20.

It's hard for me to pick out a favourite song from this album, as I tend to have a different 'stand out' track each time I play it. Nevertheless, I'd say 'Sappho' and 'We Were Children' take some beating.

Loaded with raw energy and reminiscent of the music all the great bands that were around in the '90s were making, Tribes continued the tradition of giving us quality British music. The high energy songs on here will appeal to many people, and at least four them are almost guaranteed to stick in your mind after just a couple of listens - now that's good music.
TOP 100 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 16 January 2012
3.5 stars

What is the greatest debut album ever? Cases can be made for The Stone Roses debut, The Band's "Music from the Big Pink", Television's "Marquee Moon", Jeff Buckley's "Grace", REM's "Murmur" and obviously "The Velvet Underground and Nico". Others that have been placed in this heady company have faired less well with the passage of time. The Arctic Monkeys debut doesn't look quite as seminal as it did upon release, Oasis's "Definitely Maybe" rarely escapes the CD rack nowadays and if Radiohead's "Pablo Honey" tends to get worn out its solely from the repeat playing of "Creep" (although much better was to follow).

This discussion is interesting because some of the hype around this debut by Camden four piece Tribes has seen it lauded in certain quarters as a potential entrée to the exclusive list above. The obvious point to make is while "Baby" is good it's not that good. Tribes USP is to take some of the grunge influences of bands like Nirvana and the Pixies and fuse them with the glam rock of Suede or T Rex. When the combination works it's a dynamic and impressive mix. "We were children" for example is a powerful crunchy rock song which starts with a Black Francis "Where is my mind" style riff and a huge chorus refrain of "Oh no stranger you're just like me/These things happen we were children in the mid 90's"(although the decision of the band to record the video for this on a London high street rooftop??). Equally "Sappho" is laden with energy and massive power chords that suggests the homework on Nirvana has been properly done. Ironically when the band slow it down a little they are at their best with "A corner of a English field" one of the strongest songs on the album and dedicated to the very sad recent rock casualty Charlie Haddon. On the other hand the single "When my day comes" is formula rock of the Shed Seven variety and exposes the weakness of Johnny Lloyd's vocals, while "Alone or with friends" sounds like a tired old piece of Brit pop. Compensation arrives in the form of the dramatic stadium rock anthem "Himalaya" where all the band dynamics come fully formed.

Great "white hope" guitar bands come and go and the battlefield is littered with casualties (remember Mona and Viva Brother?), indeed last years hype around the Vaccines does bear similarity to the "noise" on Tribes. Equally the furrow this band is plough is not unique, anyone who listens to acts like Surfer Blood or Wales's Joy Formidable will recognise recurring formulas. Yet to their credit Tribes have a bit more libertine swagger about them and its good to see ripped jeans, battered guitars and lots of attitude at the forefront of new music. Overall "Baby" is an album to place firmly in the glass half full bracket. True its is very derivative and you can play spot the influences for hours. But it is a confident and ebullient debut with a number of songs that are of premier division status. The trick now will be to the give the band some space and hopefully watch them grow into a more rounded and intriguing outfit. "Baby" has faults but it could also be the start of something good.
33 Comments| 7 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 20 February 2012
Absolutely fantastic debut album from Tribes. This album has a great mixture of styles complimented by simple but brilliant playing with some instantly likeable sing along anthems. I predict big things for this band. They really are the real deal, they are fantastic live and they are doing great things for British music.
on 19 January 2012
We have been waiting for this album for more than the normal nine months and baby wasn't it worth the wait!

My tastes are eclectic, ranging from the Spencer Davis Group and the Alan Bown Set to Elbow, the Mumfords and Robert Plant. What really appeals to me about baby is that it truly demonstrates Tribe's amazing versatility.

If you haven't seen them live yet, then you're in for an amazing treat.

I know what I like, and I love this!Baby
on 21 January 2012
What a great album, I bought it today and have played it over & over. A great debut album and I bet it sounds just as good live. I hadn't heard of Tribes this morning but I saw their interview in the Sun today and they mentioned the great bands that influenced them so it was worth a punt especially as it was only £3.99. Glad I did as it's going to blasting out of my ipod speakers for a long time!! I hope that with bands like Tribes rock will back on the radio & popular again.
on 12 November 2012
recently bought the tribes album Baby.. and what an album it is.. fantastic debut album..recently saw this band at a gig in castleton and bought this album on that basis.. this is a must have album and watch out for this band if you get the chance to see them.. brilliant...
on 1 February 2012
Just bought this afternoon. I listened to it on the ride home, at the gym, and have been bouncing on the couch all night (much to the chagrin of my wife who is trying to watch TV). So many good high energy songs. "We Were Children," "Sappho," and the last four songs are dynamite. I've listened to the last song, "Bad Apples," about a dozen times in a row. I looked at their Wikipedia page and checked out their influences and, I don't know, I don't hear Nirvana in there at all. It's like high energy indie with a smidge of hair metal harmonized choruses thrown in.

I listen to tons of music. I read many, many books. I've never been moved to write an Amazon review until now.

Experiencing some serious love for this CD.
on 12 March 2012
what an album, for a while the world has waited for something good to come out since the Stone Roses, etc, in my opinion, the X X, the Horrors and now TRIBES all are part of WHAT THE WORLD IS WAITING FOR.... going to see them in concert soon as they are just so damn good, what an album !!!!!
on 26 April 2013
Fantastic debut by a great band! keep up the good work boys cant wait for wish to scream if the first two singles are anything to go by!!!
on 17 February 2012
A great album! The songs 'Sappho' and 'we were children' are especially good, would definately recommend buying! It's also really refreshing listening to a new, talented band like this instead of all the manufactures rubbish!