on 6 September 2011
Decided to buy this having bought bought the E5, which was great. I use it with my iPhone through an L1 cable. Volume is Increased but the real gain is in sound quality. On my Denon AHD7000's there was a noticeable increase in quality across the range. The volume display and options on the device are useful, but I tend to leave the music settings flat as my headphones produce plenty of base. It comes well packed with a screen protector and a felt pouch to store it along with a charging cable and 3.5mm pass through cable. Only problem I had was that the battery life was significantly less than the stated 80 hours, so much so that I returned the unit and got a second one which so far is performing much better, so keep track of power drain when you first use it. Just one other caution. I tried some Shure SE310 earbuds with this amp and the results were much less dramatic. While they are not in the same league as my Denons I was a little disappointed as these headphones are £130, which is not cheap. If all you are after is a volume lift, then buy an E5 first. They are less than half the price and do a great job for the money. If you can hear the difference in quality with those, then an E7 will be even better. If you already own high quality headphones and you can afford the extra cash, get the E7, you will not be disappointed
on 24 January 2012
As a Hi-Fi USB output from a desktop or laptop PC the E7 is excellent.
It drives the variety of midrange Hi-Fi headphones I have (Grado SR80s for example) extremely well, avoiding all of the nasty digital noise thats normal from PC headphone sockets. Since it's driver-less you can connect it to any PC and it will work pretty instantly.
The interface is pretty and quite intuitive too. Similar button push actions as you might have on a mobile phone or mp3 player.

But if you just want it to extract better sound from your iPod I think you may be disappointed. To me the improvement is marginal.
Maybe if you've got really insensitive headphones and want to drive them to mega volumes.
Or have encoded your audio collection at incredibly high sample rates and only have your mp3 player available to play them into some £600 headphones....
on 14 April 2013
I must admit, it wasn't night and day in terms of quality difference on my iphone and iPad but it was noticeable through my macbook. However, with use, even the subtle improvements with the iPhone/ipad make this simply stunning addition and at a great price. I use it:

With macbook through USB
With iPhone using an L3 connector
With iPad through USB using the Lightning Camera Connection Kit (although you need to turn USB charging off on the E7 for it to work)

Great item, nicely packaged with silicon protector and soft case. Don't regret it at all.
on 22 December 2014
I was very pleased with this when it first arrived. Sound quality through my AKGs was superb. Unfortunately it has recently failed. It simply makes a sound like an angry wasp through both headphone channels, whether there is input through the USB or not. Not sure what has caused this to happen but I can't get it to work again despite repeated attempts to reset. What a shame. I don't think I will be buying Fiio again on reliability grounds. I would have given it 5 stars for sound quality and convenience, but what's the point in spending £100 on something that is not even going to last a year. It was not even that well travelled.
on 17 March 2013
Only complaint I have is that it's not compatible with my samsung galaxy s3. For the rest it is produces amazing sound!
on 13 December 2014
Easy to use. Sounds great - easily drives my headphones or a hifi system.
Works from laptop (flac files) or my galaxy S4 phone (MP3) either from USB or headphone outlet.

Battery life seems good but I have not run it for hours between charges.

Very nicely packaged and finished. If you know what you are buying you will be very pleased.
on 5 November 2014
Broke down after 2 week use. When you're buying it - keep in mind this is a Chinese quality piece of equipment.
on 25 February 2014
Appears to do as advertised. Im using easily driven headphones (k550) and dfx player pro to brighten otherwise flat mp3s from S4 (android 4.3) and find the sound improvement for this particular setup almost negligible. Fantastic to have such refined volume control though. If you are looking to play higher quality files then the app usb audio player pro bypasses on board audio of most phones and forces use of the 24/96 bit rate of the fiio.