on 4 June 2017
Well there are facts and insights here. Some of the facts are fascinating: the insights less so. Paul was good with tunes but John was good with words, for instance. Connolly clearly had access to the Beatles that a journalist today could not dream of. However, the result was sometimes a bit cosy. George didn’t trust him and you can see why.

The book is a lot of old material, mainly previously published, that has been bundled together. There’s nothing wrong with that except that it requires an editing process that Connolly or his publishers couldn’t be bothered with. The same anecdotes get trotted out time and again, often in the same words. I don’t think I have read a book with so many typos.

Connolly arrived on the Beatle scene only in about 1967 and the period on which he concentrates is when things went wrong. He blames Yoko. If you want to know what really went wrong, which involves understanding the disastrous Apple deal, which was the essential reason why they never got together again, you should read the excellent You Never Give Me Your Money by Peter Doggett.
4 people found this helpful
on 5 June 2014
Ray Connolly's Beatles Archive is as verbatim as you'll ever get it. Amongst the plethora of recent so-called 'authoritative' biographies, diaries, movies and theories, this book shines brightly with the truth. Ray was there, not only as a first class journalist with his finger on the pulse of all The Beatles' news at the moment it happened, but often as a counsellor and sounding board for both John Lennon and Paul McCartney, who each confided in him as perhaps the only newsman they could trust. When he wrote many of his articles there were details that he couldn't reveal, at the time. But here you'll read his revealing comments added to many of the articles that broke the biggest news stories of the day. And Connolly's not just an accurate observer, his special relationship with The Beatles was one on which real trust was built, especially with John who got 'sick and tired of reading things from...'. All he wanted was the truth. And here it is.
2 people found this helpful
|11 Comment|Report abuse
on 19 June 2011
Just finished Ray Connolly's Beatles anthology and enjoyed it very much. I may have read some of them in the Standard but never in the Mail. I'm astonished that he never saw the Beatles at the Cavern. What on earth was he up to? I saw them there once, at lunchtime (I was only 15 and wasn't allowed to go in the evening) and also at the Empire: I think Craig Douglas was top of the bill! Ray says it cost 1/6 to go to the Cavern at lunchtime; my memory says 1/- but who knows. I can still remember the smell of Dettol, sweat and frankfurters and Ray's articles bring back not just that period but take us right through the ongoing Beatles story - up to the present. He obviously had good access to John and Paul so writes with a rare authority. I thought the "What if" piece (what might have happened to the four of them if The Beatles had flopped) was brilliant and I generally felt rather sorry for Ringo. Strange life. Anyway - perfect kindle book.
9 people found this helpful
on 24 August 2016
"There's a moment when all old things become new again," wrote Bob Dylan before adding, "But that moment might have come and gone." I've been back as a 1963 sixth former all yesterday and today as a result of reading this beautiful book, and that feeling's not gone yet. Ony the four boys can make sense of their own lives, but Ray Connolly has made sense of the Beatles, and why they happened, why they ended. This is a must- read not only for those who lived through it but for anyone wanting to understand where modern Britain started.
on 5 January 2017
I bought this book after reading the reviews and I'm glad I did , it's superb .
I can't really expand on what has already been written in the other reviews but what I will say is that if you buy it you won't be disappointed , it is really really good .
I can't recommend it highly enough .
on 10 October 2015
A decent read, nothing outstanding, but lots of interesting snapshots of the past, including some new information not seen before, which is unusual when it comes to the Beatles!
on 22 April 2013
This gets a five star all the way its relly informative and funny this from a man who knew the beatles well
There is nothing to dislike about this book
As far as other books on the beatles go this is one to read if your a fan
3 people found this helpful
on 12 January 2013
I am a Beatles fan and have been since 1963 I saw them four times in Glasgow and I use saw as the operative word as I certainly didn't hear them. I found this book fascinating as living in Glasgow a lot of the Evening Standard stuff I had never seen before. I have read heaven knows how much about them but still found stuff in this that I didn't know. This is possibly one of the most original books I have read on The Beatles as it shies away from the sort of his granddad did this and he was born in this place etc. I would certainly recommend this book to anyone who is a Beatles fan.
3 people found this helpful
on 30 October 2015
This book is a must read for any Beatles fan. The authors close connection with the Beatles very evident from the outset. If you want to know what it was like to be involved with the Beatles, and to know them personally, this book is for you! A very enjoyable read!
on 23 May 2016
OK, it's just interviews and not a proper "story". Sheesh ... so what? It reveals many secrets of the Fab Four. The author knows of what he is talking!