Format: DVD|Change

This is a really good collection of DVDs. The series 'Lovejoy' is still a treat to watch and there aren't too many duff episodes. Nicely acted by all especially Ian McShane who fits the role perfectly. There are no extras to speak of but that doesn't really matter though it does have English subtitles.

This is a nice and compact set with six DVD cases sitting snugly in the box and it doesn't take up too much room. All in all this is terrific with great scenery, good character's and a touch of nostalgia too. Highly recommended.
33 comments| 47 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
This is a great series, very funny and enjoyable. I bought this set for my wife's birthday and we have gradualy worked through it and it has caused many laughs. All the episodes seem to be there and all the DVDs played perfectly.

For those not familiar with Lovejoy it is a series about an antique dealer who is a bit of a rough dimaond and all his adventures with his underworld friends and his upmarket customers. There is lots of comedy and friction between the characters and every episode is strong. Tinker played by Dudly Sutton is a brilliant side kick and is the wise man in the team. All in all a trip back in time and well worth the money fop the many hours of entertainment it has given. The only thing lacking from the set is that there is very little in the way of extras on the DVDs. Would have been nice to have some interviews and out takes etc. However, I am nit piocking here - for me still a 5 star product.
on 29 October 2011
This is going to be short and sweet.Having had Series 1 on DVD for years i thought i'd buy the complete collection. And was not disappointed, Not having seen quite a few episodes from the early series (due to other social activities)It was nice to fill in the gaps and watch them in order. Would i recommend this box set well yes the packaging is great but there are no extras on the DVD'S But it's great to go all nostalgic and enjoy great TV again.
on 17 November 2011
This was the series where I really got to know and admire IAN MCSHANE. The lovable rogue character "LOVEJOY" - lives around the enticing world of antiques - and he quickly drags you into his world and the ways of his art. The series does change some of the secondary charaters from season to season and this is a bit off-putting. When I bought the set I had no idea that the series went to season seven - I have only seen series 1 and 2 and both are enjoyable.

Buy this series if you like quick witted, fast moving story lines - with a little bit of rough and tumble. Very well presented box set.
on 19 May 2012
Anybody who grew up from the mid-80's to the mid 90s will remember this series as something they would look forward to watching. A superb TV rendition of the Jonathan Gash novels with a wonderful cast of characters. There is great humour and mystery in these stories throughout the complete 6 series box set. If you enjoyed watching Lovejoy this box set is a bargain.
on 9 January 2012
Bought this for my husband's birthday as he was a big fan. Transported us back in time to the idyllic world of Lovejoy. Warm characters and entertaining storylines although we didn't recall some of the more violent scenes. We had a laugh at the fashions/hairstyles and spotting all the old cars. Sheer escapism and extremely enjoyable.
on 19 October 2013
I really enjoyed the Lovejoy series when it was originally transmitted, though it went downhill when Eric left, his replacement being quite objectionable.

When I saw that the full set of discs was available at a reasonable price I could not resist their purchase but have been very disappointed with the sound quality on the discs that I've played so far, it is of a very low level and even when the volume is raised to a level that should make it audible much of the dialogue is muffled and indistinct.

I'd gladly give the set five stars but for the abysmal sound
on 3 March 2012
I bought this boxset for my parents for Christmas and they LOVE it! They enjoyed the show years ago when it was shown on the TV but couldn't keep up with the recent repeats, they kept being shown out of order so they gave up. They are working their way through the dvd's, they have a "Cup of tea and Lovejoy" in the afternoons. A very nice gift for a Lovejoy fan and so easy to wrap!
on 23 March 2013
Great fan of the Lovejoy series, really happy to now own the entire series on DVD, well-presented and conveniently packaged in a compact box. My problem has been with the sound reproduction. When played through an older tv with built-in dvd player it's ok, but on my main system which uses a dvd player and surround-sound system, the reproduction has an odd echo and the loudness varies from episode to episode. The introductory music is really loud, and then the actual episode is almost inaudible. Turned up to compensate, it's a bit like having your head in a bucket!
I've tried it without the sound-system, using the tv speakers; the same problem arises except that when it's turned up louder there's a deafening hiss and crackle so you can't hear it anyway!
I don't know if this is to do with the digital re-recording of the series or the sound system I have - all my other dvds work ok though.
on 9 May 2014
The quality of sound and recording on this box set is actually better than the individual DVDs which I had previously. I love the compact box - and what can I say about Lovejoy? Well, it is a brilliantly acted, scripted and directed series and the nostalgia of looking back at the 90s in rural Suffolk before smart phones and the internet ruled our lives is a delight. Laugh out loud every time at Ian McShane's cheek and dry humour and never tire of watching the episodes again and again - there is always a nuance of superb direction or script to observe that you missed the first time around.