Customer reviews

VINE VOICEon 9 April 2017
This is a fabulous book. I first read it about 12 years ago and decided to re-read it, now I am working in Germany.

Not only is it one of the best football books ever written but it also shows that Germans do have a sense of humour. How else do you describe a nation that gave us Lotthar Matthaus?

However it could really do with another update. So much has happened since 2002 that another edition. Is long overdue.

Yet this is still worth a read. The story is told honestly and with humour. It is so easy to forget how recent much of German football actually is. The last if the major nations to form a national league and actually become professional.
on 6 September 2017
Found this quite hard-going in places. I was interested in German football, but had not spent much time watching it prior to picking up a copy of this, so vast majority was new to me. That said, there were stories and facts that were very interesting. There was a lot of enjoy and learn, but somehow the writer's turn of phrase just made it a bit difficult to persevere with at times. Not a bad book but doesn't really flow well. Would recommend for serious football fans with an interest in history.
on 13 May 2014
British perceptions of German football tend to be based on typical stereotypes centres on efficient but uninspiring football, played out by ruthless automatons. This book puts so many of those preconceptions to bed in devastating style. In particular he picks out so many of the great characters of the game, the people who shaped German football like Otto Nerz, Sepp Herberger and Helmut Schön, to give a real flavour of lesser parts of the game.

Throughout the book there are tons of little anecdotes and stories which make it hugely enjoyable. Great teams such as the “Breslau Elf” of the pre-war era, the side of Fritz Walter who completed the “Miracle of Berne” and Franz Beckenbauer’s all-conquering squad of the 1970s are all covered in depth, looking not just at the football itself but at the personalities and the behind-the-scenes events which led to their success.

Overall, this is an essential buy for anyone with an interest in the world game.
on 31 July 2012
What a fantastic book. I have family in Germany, but have been raised in the UK. So, whenever I spoke to them about German football, I could never understand the vitriolic looks I would get whenever I mentioned Bayern Munich. I also never quite understood the 'Miracle of Berne'. However, now I do and I look forward to my return to Germany where I can now wow family and friends with my superior historical knowledge. Ha ha!

All in all, this book really grabs you from the first page and I really struggled to put it down. A great read that should be on any football fans list.
on 12 December 2013
This book is a must read for any English speaker interested in German football but also how the game has interacted with German culture over the years. Sure there are not too many books on the subject in English but this one is well written and very readable. So much so that is hard to put down. It gives a clear view as to just how different the Bundesliga is from the EPL and yet how it has been influenced by English football over the years.
on 24 December 2014
Full of details, you get to see how the culture of football has developed in Germany. There are many cracking stories about the mavericks, and heroes, villains, and the managers who shaped the football. Interesting to read, very funny in parts too, there is so much here, I am surprised the book is not more well known.
on 8 September 2013
Quite detailed history of German football. While I feel I know much more about German football it did not leave me feeling I really understood the philosophy of the game in Germany. Really interesting in the post war era and the development of the national team and Bundesliga.
on 23 January 2015
I really enjoyed reading this book. I follow all the main leagues in Europe, but Germany was one of the ones I knew less about. This book enabled me to fill in that knowledge gap. A very well told story.
on 20 January 2013
Tor is a brilliantly in-depth, fascinating and well written look at the history of German football. Sports fans with an interest in European football will find this a very enjoyable read.
on 10 January 2016
A really excellent book. Accessible and engaging. Would thoroughly recommend.