Shop now Shop now Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Shop now Learn More Learn more Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Listen with Prime Pre-order now Shop Men's Shop Women's

on 21 April 2012
I read the Barchester Chronicles and I am now reading book four of the Palliser Chronicles. I find it really hard to engage with each book during the first few chapters because Trollope sets the scenes and intoduces the players in great detail. But then, I am totally engaged and the plot(s) twist and entwine. The conclusion is never quite as I expect. I intend to finish this chronicle and seek out further works.
on 7 March 2014
I thought it was time to re-visit Trollope's "political" novels. I have always enjoyed Trollope. He's always very readable although I prefer the Barsetshire Chronicles.

For those not familiar with them, the Palliser Chronicles are a series of novels not linked by plot but linked thematically and by the appearance across a number of novels of certain major and minor characters (eg Lady Glencora Palliser and her husband Plantagenet (later Duke of Omnium), Madame Max Goesler, Phineas Finn). They are "political" in that they are very much concerned with the conduct of politics in the mid-19th century and politicians are generally the principle characters. Plantagenet Palliser is briefly Chancellor of the Exchequer and later Prime Minister. There are other common themes such as corruption and honesty in public life, love, money and marriage (and how to reconcile the three) and hunting (one of Trollope's own favourite pastimes). I must confess to finding the hunting scenes terribly tedious. He does however depict politics and the conduct of Parliament in a very lively and (I assume) accurate way. He's particularly good on elections having, I believe, stood unsuccessfully for Parliament himself on 1 or 2 occasions. Sadly at times you feel that behaviour in the House of Commons hasn't changed much since.

I'm more familiar with some of the books than with others. I have enjoyed the experience of re-reading them although I think some are more enjoyable than others. I enjoyed Phineas Finn and Can You Forgive Her? more than I remembered. In particular, I have been struck by how much more depth Trollope's female characters have than say Dickens (despite his apparent extremely Victorian concept of a woman's sphere in life). Lady Glencora in Can You Forgive Her? is quite entrancing and has real vitality. Lizzie Eustace in the Eustace Diamonds I find less convincing but I have to say I enjoyed the Eustace Diamonds even less than I remembered (definitely my least favourite of the series). The other aspect of the novels that I am struck by reading them in sequence and which I find distinctly offputting is Trollope's (perhaps it may be fairer to say his characters?) relentless, unthinking anti-Semitism. I am sure it is typical of its age but to a modern reader it is deeply disturbing and shocking. So far practically every "villain" in the series (apart from Lizzie Eustace) is either Jewish or alleged to be Jewish or assumed to be Jewish by other characters.

This kindle edition is pretty good with very few typos although if you haven't read them before and you want an annotated edition you will probably be better going for a Penguin classic in paperback.
on 16 November 2012
I love these chronicles. Each one starts by introducing the characters, it is clear from the beginning who are the heros, heroines, villains and villainesses, but the plots twist and twine before being elegantly detangled. The plots are very clever and comments from the 1870s on decimalisation and politics are as relevant today as they were then. I can't put the book down and will feel lost when I get to the end of it.
on 18 February 2016
Found it a bit heavy going, but that could be Trollope. However BBC are repeating the original series at present on BBC2 at lunchtime. I am enjoying watching the repeats as I feel I know the characters. Thrilled I could download this on to my Kindle, as I can always dip into it if I want to.
on 3 March 2014
If you love to get lost in a really big story with well developed characters and enjoy finding out a lot about about long-gone traditions and social ways, like hunting and the church of England, then you will enjoy spending a lot of time with the Pallisers. If you only enjoy modern plots, which jump nervously around in time and place and skim the surface of life, then leave it, you'll be bored.
on 6 May 2014
Hardback copies of these old favourites (together withyt he Barchester Chron icles) have been taking up a lot of space while also crumbling away. The Kindle solves these problems and re-reading them in this way has become a real pleasure once more.

on 12 August 2014
Fascinating insight into social and political life in the early 1870s with some relevance to today, but rather heavy going if you are not aware of the politics of the period and the references to politicians of the period. Some long passages can be skipped, e.g. chapters on foxhunting, but a good read. Many references to train journeys including changing trains at Crewe, reaching Scottish Grouse moors within a day. Within 40 years of the 'Rocket' and the Liverpool- Manchester railway opening we had a complete rail network. Puts HS2 in the shade! Some characters very interesting, others just fill up the pages. Not Dickens or Eliot, but look out for the casual anti-Semitism, an insight into the social attitudes of the upper classes who make up 90% of the characters. Everybody has servants, but they are just walk-ons and the Jews are just nasty money lenders or crooks. But still woth reading if you like this sort of thing.
on 4 January 2015
These books got me thru a horrible few weeks in France, nothing to do with France but it wasn't a good time for me! These books were absorbing though and made me forget my troubles. Had been put off reading them as I thought they would be totally 'political' but they were just as good as the Barchester Chronicles, about people and what happens to them. Would recommend if you like Trollope.
on 13 June 2014
I'm a great admirer of Trollope and was delighted to renew my acquaintance with the Pallisers with the repeat of the excellent BBC drama series. Victorian novels can be difficult to read as books, because they were originally written as part works - serialised over many months - and therefore very long. The opportunity to read the Chronicles as an e-book on my new Kindle was perfect!
on 12 January 2015
Absolutely engrossing, clever plots with intrigue and even romance! As relevant today as they were when first published. I am re reading the Barsetshire Chronicles as a result of finishing with the Palliser novels. Read them, do, you won't regret it!