on 19 November 2017
Well, the first, and my first Frieda Klein and I'm somewhat on the fence with it. The series was recommended to me by someone I got chatting to on a train - I in exchange recommended Jane Casey's Maeve Kerrigan/Josh Derwent series and I think she got the better of the 2 recommendations! There is no humour whatsoever in this book and I struggled to like Frieda herself. I love a good police story, which this actually was, but I also like my Kerrigan/Derwent or Thorne/Hendricks one-liners to lift the mood now and then and this really needed to lighten up a bit.

The story was good with lots of mystery and 2 crimes 20 years apart colliding. I particularly liked the denouement - much of which I had worked out, but that didn't matter. But the writing didn't really flow for me and whilst there were some great characters - Josef the builder and Chloe, Frieda's niece in particular, I found DCI Karlsson confusing - one minute really nice and the next losing his temper for very little. I presume Mr/s French are building a relationship between psychiatrist Frieda and Karlsson for future books, but it's not really gelled for me. I do wonder if it's to do with the fact that this is a writing team of 2 people - I have no idea how the mechanics of this works but I suspect that's why I'm experiencing problems with flow and understanding some of the characters.

I will probably give book 2 a go as I think there is a lot of potential, but I don't feel myself rushing out to buy it just yet.
on 13 April 2018
When I bought this book I was a little dubious as to whether I would enjoy it or not, having read the reviews it didn’t sound too promising. However, I found that I really enjoyed it pretty much from start to finish. The main character, Frieda Klein, is a strange woman and somewhat irritating to say the least, but not to the extent of spoiling the story. In fact, her characteristics lend a charm to it and are how I would expect a psychotherapist to behave – no offense to actual psychotherapists as I don’t know any but it is a general perception that I have.

The story itself was engrossing and at a certain point gave me chills down the spine when I reached on OMG moment which just made me want to rush on and read more. It dealt with fascinating issues and was totally immersing. One of things that I really enjoyed was that it made me think about things that had never entered my head before which I found interesting and thought provoking.

I loved many of the other characters, especially Josef who I thought was lovely and I do hope he is a constant character in the rest of this series. I also wonder whether we will see or hear any more of Sandy. I am extremely pleased that I took the plunge and committed myself to buying more of this series already as I am looking forward to reading more. I have been a fan of Nicci French for a long time but this series certainly strikes me of some of their best work.
on 23 May 2015
This is the first Nicci French novel I have read. A child disappears and is never found. Years go by and another child disappears in the present day. One of Dr Frieda Klein’s patients describes their fantasy of having a child and the description matches the missing child so she reports it to the police. At first I thought this would be difficult to read because it is very psychotherapy oriented. Frieda is a psychotherapist and has psychotherapist friends. She is very annoying in that she always answers a question with a question, knows everybody’s reasons for doing and being, but gives nothing away about herself. However, as a character she grows within the book and you do get to know and understand her through her actions. You have to suspend disbelief a few times in this book – one of the characters introduced falls through the ceiling of her therapy room whilst she is with a patient, one of her patients has an identical twin which he does not know about, and Frieda wanders the London streets at night quite often and without harm or any sense of peril. Surprisingly I found the book easy to read, and the lengthy descriptions of scenes weren’t heavy or out of place. I enjoyed reading it so much in fact that I bought and read the second book in the series immediately.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 1 April 2018
Whatever you do, DON'T do what I did and read the second book of the Nicci French Frieda Klein series before you read the first as the plot of 'Blue Monday' is 100% spoilt by 'Tuesday's Gone'. I quite enjoyed the second book (whilst being irritated by how much it referred back to the first one) and felt I'd better fill in the gaps by going back and reading the first one. But honestly you just can't ignore what you already know and the plot is ruined.

My favourite characters are the Ukrainian builder who falls through Frieda's roof, and Alan, the patient tortured by the dreams and feelings he can't explain (but of course Frieda will). The second book is better - I'm not sure I'd have read number two if I started with number one, and now I'm torn because I have Thursday (on a cheap 99p kindle deal) but don't know if I dare read it without paying for Wednesday first.
VINE VOICEon 16 February 2018
I saw the husband and wife that together are Nicci French at Cheltenham's Literature festival and was intrigued by their method of writing. I don't usually read crime thrillers but I wanted to see the result of their collaboration.
Frieda Klein is a psychotherapist who likes to walk London following the route of its underground rivers when she can't sleep. Through a patient she becomes involved with a police investigation of a missing child, which has similarities to an unsolved case that occurred twenty years ago.We not only learn about the case but we learn about Frieda, who I wasn't sure I'd like when I first met her. I'm still not sure if we have anything in common but she intrigues me and I look forward to reading the next book in this series.
on 22 January 2016
This book was really not for me, I bought it because I hadn't realised it was s series and bought book 5 first so thought I had better start at the beginning rather than at the end.

**No spoilers as such but little give aways maybe**

The beginning of the book about the girl who goes missing made the book look promising however from chapter 1 everything changed and I really disliked it, snippets of characters and bits of information that baffled me seemed to be the theme throughout the book, I think it was so you kept guessing or read on to find out more but by the time I got to find out what the hell the author was on about it became irrelevant.

The middle of the book was where it got marginally interesting and the end was just pah!

For me it seemed to make the police look like idiots, things stared them in the face and they point blank rubbished them. The lead female Frieda was a character I strongly disliked, she come across as a nosey know it all who took things in to her own hands without a thought for the consequences which I found odd as she was a doctor and psychotherapist. She didn't sleep a wink in the book which meant she was awake for about a month and a half and consulted an alcoholic, self destructing, struck off colleague for advice!???

She wasn't the most compassionate person, at times she was so hard faced I wondered why becoming a psychologist had even entered her head, she seemed to be in love with 2 things, her fire and London. She had a boyfriend but cut him out of her life like he didn't exist and threw herself in to something that she muddled her way through, striking lucky rather than using common sense.

I finished this book within two days just to get it out the way (I always finish crime books). I felt like the book wasn't planned and it was bumbled through with someone pitching in saying 'oh maybe this person could be this other person or now maybe he can do this' and that was that.

The person responsible for the crime was obviously as thick as two short planks but was suddenly made in to a master criminal.

Like I said before the police are made to look foolish and incompetent in this book which I didn't like and I especially hated Frieda solving it then telling the police to take the credit.

This book really got on my nerves however the the author writes really well, descriptive but not overly so and I'll probably read the 2nd in the series hoping that the ridiculous story line in this was just a second thought after really just trying to lay ground work for character building purposes for the series ahead. I am aware that Frieda is in all the books but I'm just hoping she becomes someone I do like or I really couldn't carry on to book 5.

I also hope there's no random chapters which are I suppose, to keep you reading to find out what it means. I don't mean chapters with clues or hint these were actually chapters where I was so baffled I thought I'd skipped pages by accident.
|11 Comment|Report abuse
on 22 March 2017
This is in no way the type of novel I would normally choose as reading matter, but I found it compelling. Many parts were hard to read, but it was believable, realistic even. The narrative was complex and many stranded. The book was hard to put down.
on 17 November 2015
It's difficult for me to find good books, either they're just "fluff" and pretty meaningless or are so self-consciously intellectual, that I just can't be bothered. However, this one hits the button! Full of integrity. Well paced/constructed narrative, believable characters, and a brilliant story line, unusual and believable. Also, very well written which I suppose you would expect being authored by a duo of journalists. I also find Frieda's character really endearing. I was worried about the theme of child abduction and thought it might be too upsetting but it is handled quite sensitively, so I found this manageable. Looking forward to reading the others in the series, even though I note some disappointment from other reviewers in comparison with Blue Monday. Thank goodness for Nicci French!
on 24 January 2013
The book had a gripping opening story-line and an exciting plot throughout. I read it in long sessions and stayed up late to finish because I cared about the outcomes. I liked all the characters apart from the whiny neice. Most of them had weaknesses and were marked in some way by past experience. I wondered what had shaped Frieda's extreme self-containment and desire for simplicity and solitude. There are one or two awkward plot devices and the ending seemed inevitable, given the relationship between 2 of the characters, but overall, it was quite gripping. The description of the child abduction and impact on the parents provoked strong emotions in me. Some readers have commented about Frieda's unprofessional conduct. I can live with that in a crime novel; this is not a documentary. It's a very common feature of crime writing that the detective/police officer, forensic expert and so on is a flawed maverick. Frost, Morse, Harry Hole, Aurelio Zen and many more cross the line. Their flaws are permissible in fiction even if they are unacceptable in real life. We know the difference!
VINE VOICEon 3 September 2013
At this point I have read the first two novels in this series and am about to start the third. If you intend to read any of them, read this one first. The writing is evocative and gripping. There is a vulnerability in Ms Klein, together with a determination to complete a task that I feel will not end until the last novel in the series. Will it be Friday or Sunday?

A child, a girl, has gone missing 22 years before the story starts. Now a boy has also gone missing, but one of Frieda's patients seems to be the abductor. She reluctantly approaches the police, only to find that the patient has an alibi: he was with her at the second abduction. So, why is this patient haunted by guilt about what he clearly hasn't done? Getting to the bottom of that is a joint effort by the police and Frieda as she slots into their investigations like the proverbial square peg in a round hole.

Very enjoyable reading, well written, highly recommended, but expect the unexpected! (And loads of people with greying hair!)