TOP 1000 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 9 March 2012
Caleb Crowe is a psychic. Given the right questions to answer he can "remotely view" any event, anywhere, at any point in history. Caleb was once a member of the Morpheus Initiative, an experimental parapsychological team that uses remote viewing to help discover lost temples and ancient artefacts.

The Morpheus Iniiative still exists and Caleb's mother and his paralysed sister are still part of it and its latest project is to discover the legendary treasure of the Pharos Lighthouse - which also happens to be one of Calab's obsessions. So he reluctantly agrees to temporarily rejoin the team.

This book successfully mixes real history, real archaeology, real historical people and places with the parapsychological ability of being able to remotely view any event in history if the right set of questions can be asked about it. The plot starts out fairly slowly, but quickly builds pace. Scenes from ancient history are mixed in with the present day providing a unique view of people and places.

If I have any criticism, it is that in some places the same ground is covered several times, with each iteration only advancing the plot by a small amount. This wasn't a huge problem as the story is still an enjoyable to read.

The ending clearly finishes this book, but also sets the scene for the second in the series.

Overall - 4 stars. I found the mixture of archaeology, parapsychology, and history worked very well, The book seems to be very well researched, and I also found myself looking up quite a few of the real people, places and events mentioned in the book to find out more about them.
7 people found this helpful
on 11 January 2013
When I came to read this novel I was a little unsure what to expect. This was because I wondered if the remote viewing aspect would merely be a means to jump artificially from one element of the plot to another without the characters having to make any real effort.

I was however very pleased to discover that my concerns in this regard were without foundation. The remote viewing was carefully worked into the story and did not constitute any kind of easy option. In fact the way it was handled has prompted me to buy the second book, The Mongol Objective.

I found this to be a well crafted story, one that kept me engaged with the characters and the issues they were working with.
on 6 June 2012
I downloaded a sample of this book on my Kindle and was absolutely enthralled by the end of it. I quickly downloaded the full book and honestly couldnt put it down. Its exciting stuff full of twists, turns and surprises. The descriptive text is wonderful and so easy to picture in your own mind. The Morpheous Initiative is a group of people who are Psychics, they see things in the past which helps to solve the puzzles today. A lot of the places and people he writes about are factual and this enhances the story line. A fantastic read and I have been recommending it to lots of my Kindle using friends. The sequel is excellent too the Mongol Objective. I personally feel that David Sakmyster is a cross between Wilbur Smith and Dan Brown. This series on The Morpheous Initiative is up there in number three, of my all time favourite reads!
on 5 June 2013
A good bit of fast paced hokum. I have read quite a few archaeology/history thrillers lately and , whilst the paranormal aspects were a little aggravating, on the whole this was one of the better ones. Language and punctuation good enough not to be annoying, backstory well researched, well paced and with really nasty baddies. Long enough to be properly resolved and value for money, short enough to read in a day (but I am a fast reader). I think I shall get the rest of the series.
on 22 July 2013
This is a great book for those that love action and adventure books.
Caleb Crowe is a psychic that uses remote viewing to look back into the past to aid archaeology.
His mother and sister belong to The Morpheus Initiative which is a group dedicated to remote viewing to which Caleb once belonged.
I thought it was a nice take on using psychic abilities and the book is a roller-coaster of an adventure.
on 18 September 2016
Good story, several different people all with different reasons for finding the Objective. A wild rush to sort it all out, stay alive, and thwart the bad gys - once they figure out who they are.
on 15 August 2014
Sorry, saw this was a series, and thought I'd start at the beginning, with the Pharos Objective.
Good idea, poorly executed, long winded, not believable characters. Nearly gave up on it, but I don't like to do that , so persevered but alas it didn't get any better. Won't be buying any more of the series.
on 7 January 2013
This is book one in the Morpheus Initiative Trilogy and I really enjoyed it. A thriller with a different slant - the participants are all psychics of varying expertise. Lost of historic detail which I always enjoy. Have now bought the second and third books and look forward to reading more by this author.
on 5 May 2014
I was vaguely aware of religious secrets from ancient history but had not given it much thought. Reading the Pharos Objective has stimulated my interest .
I found the story line, which is loosely based on fact, to be excellent reading.
Rene Hardy
on 30 April 2013
A very good book where a team of psychics in modern times attempt to open the vault under base of the ancient Pharos of Alexandria one of the seven wonders of the ancient world.They have to navigate past many dangers to get into the vault and find the lost tablet of the ancients and there is much intrigue , double- crossing and about turns which keeps the reader glued to the pages. A great book, the first of three and the whole trilogy is just as good as the first.A great find and I would really recommend it to those interested in ancient sites and clever technology .