on 29 September 2014
There were parts of this Novella, that were excellent, then there are other parts of are just confusing. The way he completes his first mission is excellent, then the story jumps back as few days of how he and why he took this mission. Here he is being hired/seduced by the just as smart Mistress of Pleasure. Apart from her body and money she offers him the one thing he has been looking for year. Who is Galen Starfire? What we know if him is 680 years old, uses magic in place of tech. He has had many names over the year, part of his magic is shape shift to change his features somewhat but does not uses it because of the pain. He is a consummate planner and assassin with a code, but professes mercilessness. Another reviewer said even though this is a prequel, it does give away some of the plot for the main Night Angel trilogy. I prefer reading books in order so I read this one first. I am looking forward to reading main trilogy.
on 13 September 2012
This is a little insight into the beginnings of Durzo. It's not bad, but it's also not written with anywhere near the style and grace of the Night Angel trilogy. For anyone who has to read everything by an author, this is for you but you need to see it for what it is, a little snippet of Durzo.
on 28 July 2011
"My way is hard, but I serve unbroken. In ignobility, nobility. In shame, honor. In darkness, light. I will do justice and love mercy."
So speaks the Night Angel, Durzo Blint, as he heads towards a meeting of the Nine to set Gwinvere Kirena as Shinga.
In this novella Brent Weeks takes us back several years to when Durzo - as readers know him in the Night Angel trilogy - stalked the world as Gaelen Starfire. The man once known as Acaelus Thorne, one of the closest friends of the powerful Jorsin Alkestes, owner of the black ka'kari is in a bar talking with Yvor Vas about what has led to him avenging the death of his wife and daughter at Chateau Shayon. A story of a deal with the beautiful Gwinvere, Sa'Kage, Mistress of Pleasures, to bring her to power and to gain him pre-eminence in the city as the best wetboy. Whilst Gaelen/Acaelus/Durzo learns at the hands of Ben Wrable he hunts and kills the other wetboys. His reward is the name of the man who killed his family. His future is as Durzo Blint.
This is pleasant addition to the Night Angel trilogy. Whilst it is a prologue, it should not be read before the trilogy as it gives away spoilers that are key in creating anticipation in the main novels. As readers who have devoured the books about Durzo and Kylar, this ties off some unanswered questions and explains much about the politics that are already in motion in Night Angel. We come to understand better the motive of Durzo, his beliefs, his training, the centuries that lie behind him. Weeks allows us to see into the enigmatic character and realise the weary humanity that Durzo clings to in the Night Angel. He is impassive, he is lethal, he is remorseless. But, he understands the crippling passions that lead us to do terrible things; is able to judge those around him with the grimness of experience.
At the end of it all, Durzo sums his understanding up brilliantly, in a manner J S Mill would echo: "Leadership is best left to the idealistic and the arrogant." If you are a fan of the Night Angel you should read this. It will leave you feeling more complete about the story of Durzo and Kylar. If you have not read Night Angel, then read the trilogy before you read the prologue. You will understand why by the end of the pages...
on 24 October 2011
Having read and totally enjoyed the "Night Angel" Trilogy, I was intrigued by this novella about the character who became Durzo Blint. I expected it to be good, but I was surprised when it turned out to be fantastic (though given the talent of Mr Weeks, I shouldn't have been) It fills in some of the blanks, with regard to the truly enigmatic and enthralling character of Durzo Blint, the Master Assassin of the "Night Angel" series. I have recently bought the first book of Mr Weeks new series, "The Black Prism", and am eagerly awaiting the completion of this series, so that I can get to reading it (I learned my lesson, with "The Song Of Fire And Ice", about starting to read a series, only to be left hanging for a very, very, very long time waiting for the next instalment) as I don't read a series until I have the whole thing in my possession. Brent Weeks is a brilliant writer and I am fast becoming a fan. One complaint, this story isn't long enough. Given that Gaelan Starfire or as he became known, Durzo Blint, or as he was originally known Acaelus Thorne, had lived for almost seven hundred years, he would make an excellent subject for another series; just a thought, Mr Weeks???
on 3 March 2014
The perfect killers story was one of thought to be lost in time.
With this book the shadows have been lifted and the origins of Durzo Blint are discovered. It shines a new light upon the night angel trilogy for me and is worth a buy if you are a fan of the wet boy like myself.
on 6 November 2012
I have been away from the Night Angel trilogy for a few years after reading them all over Xmas break. I loved those books and could easily escape into that world.

I read Perfect Shadow twice in first week. As others say it is short and given it is about the best character from the trilogy it does leave you wanting more.

Is it disappointing? No, it is a novella. It actually made me want to re-read the trilogy. It also gives me hope Mr Weeks will someday return to this world to blow us away again.

I had prepared myself for a short excerpt from Durzo's world. It is what I got and while it answers some questions, it doesn't answer all leaving the many mysteries of Durzo for another day.

If you purchase with this in mind you can only love the series and this novella more.
on 1 June 2011
Well worth a read if you're into Brent Weeks and the Night Angel trilogy. A nice little back story for Durzo and the Ka'kari.
It might not make too much sense if you haven't read the Night Angel books, but it's a nice sample of what Weeks has to offer.
on 19 May 2014
It's a good little story of how Durzo Blint came to be and fills some interesting plot holes from the other books. It would be great if the author could dedicate a trilogy to this awesome character since he's so interesting with so many tales to tell!!!
on 3 October 2012
This book is a prequel to the wonderful Night Angel Trilogy, for anyone wondering whether to read this first, the simple answer is DON'T!!
For anyone in the 40+ age bracket remember leaving the theatre after seeing Star Wars and the anticipation of the subsequent Empire Stikes Back & Return of the Jedi, that is how the Night Angel trilogy was, simply having to read the 2nd and brilliant third book. This is the Phantom Menace, it tells you how Durzo became Durzo but to fully apreciate this book you must have read the chronologically later Trilogy first. To read this book before the Trilogy will spoil the experience.
The Night Angel is a must read, this is a wonderful aperitif for after the main fare.
on 9 January 2013
If you like Brent Weeks and his others in this series you'll lap this up. Just a shame it never made it to full length. I'll never get tired of this character, or the dynamic way Weeks writes. I think he enjoys writing Gaelan Starfire as much as we enjoy reading it.
I'm currently devouring his light bringer series as fast as he churns them out and recommend those also.
Flying the flag for fantasy, Orbit, and continuing what Robert E. Howard began, his pace and action combine with endearing characters and plots with enough sophistication to keep you turning the pages til long after you should've turned out the light.
Brent Weeks remains top of my Wish list.