on 29 September 2014
There were parts of this Novella, that were excellent, then there are other parts of are just confusing. The way he completes his first mission is excellent, then the story jumps back as few days of how he and why he took this mission. Here he is being hired/seduced by the just as smart Mistress of Pleasure. Apart from her body and money she offers him the one thing he has been looking for year. Who is Galen Starfire? What we know if him is 680 years old, uses magic in place of tech. He has had many names over the year, part of his magic is shape shift to change his features somewhat but does not uses it because of the pain. He is a consummate planner and assassin with a code, but professes mercilessness. Another reviewer said even though this is a prequel, it does give away some of the plot for the main Night Angel trilogy. I prefer reading books in order so I read this one first. I am looking forward to reading main trilogy.
2 people found this helpful
on 24 October 2011
Having read and totally enjoyed the "Night Angel" Trilogy, I was intrigued by this novella about the character who became Durzo Blint. I expected it to be good, but I was surprised when it turned out to be fantastic (though given the talent of Mr Weeks, I shouldn't have been) It fills in some of the blanks, with regard to the truly enigmatic and enthralling character of Durzo Blint, the Master Assassin of the "Night Angel" series. I have recently bought the first book of Mr Weeks new series, "The Black Prism", and am eagerly awaiting the completion of this series, so that I can get to reading it (I learned my lesson, with "The Song Of Fire And Ice", about starting to read a series, only to be left hanging for a very, very, very long time waiting for the next instalment) as I don't read a series until I have the whole thing in my possession. Brent Weeks is a brilliant writer and I am fast becoming a fan. One complaint, this story isn't long enough. Given that Gaelan Starfire or as he became known, Durzo Blint, or as he was originally known Acaelus Thorne, had lived for almost seven hundred years, he would make an excellent subject for another series; just a thought, Mr Weeks???
3 people found this helpful
on 5 July 2015
A novella set before the stories that lead, Durzo Blint, is best known for this is going to appeal to Assassins Creed everywhere. There's the same creative elegance in the violence, the same acknowledgement of its consequences too. However, where Weeks excels is in the motivation behind it, the battles his lead fights with his mind proving far deadlier than the ones he fights with his body. Occasionally heavy going if you don't know the novels but overall a great on ramp into that world and a format, and length, that Weeks clearly has fun working at.
on 9 January 2013
If you like Brent Weeks and his others in this series you'll lap this up. Just a shame it never made it to full length. I'll never get tired of this character, or the dynamic way Weeks writes. I think he enjoys writing Gaelan Starfire as much as we enjoy reading it.
I'm currently devouring his light bringer series as fast as he churns them out and recommend those also.
Flying the flag for fantasy, Orbit, and continuing what Robert E. Howard began, his pace and action combine with endearing characters and plots with enough sophistication to keep you turning the pages til long after you should've turned out the light.
Brent Weeks remains top of my Wish list.
on 12 March 2018
The night angel trilogy is my favourite ever book series. Let’s just put that out there. I feel like this novella is veeeeeerrryyy short and not very good value for money. Maybe £2. Given the substance that went into the NA trilogy, this is a dramatic shortfall. Fees like Brent Weeks just trying to squeeze the last few pennies out of Kylars fans.

Still, a decent short story.
on 2 April 2018
anoher great offer and story line
on 19 June 2013
I'm not sure whether the problem here is a not-so-great Kindle version, or what... I found the plot very confusing, often because there was no break between sections that should obviously have been separate. A bit lost in translation... Two months later I can't even remember what it was about, so obviously it wasn't great.
on 27 December 2015
Really enjoyed the night angel trilogy and was pleasantly surprised when I came across this. It was really good to get an insight into Durzo Blunt. Enjoyed more than I expected to.
on 26 April 2016
A nice addition to the series. Explains how Durzo and Gwenivire met.
on 1 December 2016