on 1 June 2013
Previously had the 1TB version and had no probs, but like most people I do seem to keep everything these days, photos, music, videos, correspondence, etc, so needed to expand. No hesitation in choosing Western Digital. Worked immediately it was plugged it (Toshiba laptop and my work Lenova laptop) - dare I say - "it does wot it says on the tin"!! When I need a 6TB nay doubt I'll get Western Digital again.
on 24 July 2015
Western Digital are in my opinion the best hard drive makers out there. Once again they have come through with a great drive at a reasonable price.
on 10 October 2015
Works wonderfully, even survived a lightning strike that killed my computer, but this still worked.
on 23 July 2011
I've already got two of the 1TB versions of this, but having just moved to Mac machines, the 1TB were not large enough for Time Machine to backup the system and my files. So I simply purchased the 3TB version without worrying about other brands.

Very happy with the unit, was able to format to Mac OS Extended easily and copy the data over and Time Machine has been backing up without issue now fine.

Small, quite, reasonable speed, more than happy.

Should not I've never used these for live data, just transferring data between machines or backups where the speed was not critical. When these things have occurred I've been happy with the speed, but couldn't comment on how well they handle when you're working off files stored on the units. Don't see why it should be much of an issue though.
88 Comments| 18 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 29 February 2012
I've had this for approx 2 months now & I'm quite impressed. I have hammered it with storage of video & software files (I've only got 40gb free space left) & not had any problems, it's as fast at transfers as any other USB2 drive I have used. It's a little bulky & heavier than the non powered portable drives but hey, it is a 3 Terabyte drive after all. You just can't get that size of storage in a smaller portable drive. All in all very good value, I'd definitely buy another one.
on 18 September 2012
I now have 3 of these drives USB connected to my desk-top Mac. A 1TB; 2TB and now a 3TB.
I do a lot of HD video editing which is storage hungry.
These drives sit stacked on my desk and I forget them. They are completely silent, well, in a totally quiet room it might be possible to detect a very slight humm.
They look good with a simple 'brick with rounded corners' design in plain, glossy, piano black finish.
They could not be simpler to set up. Just plug them in and there they are - an immediate extension of your storage space.
They blink a little white light to tell you they are a alive and active - (unlike one review I read which said that the 3TB did not, it does)
The only 'con' which is just a minor annoyance:
The blinking light is at the same end as the cable sockets which means the cables loop on the desk in full view if I want to see the light.
For my setup I would have preferred the light to be on the opposite end to the cables so they could vanish over the desk edge out of site.
A really nice piece of kit at a good price.
on 14 September 2012
After working for 10 days the drive stopped loading on the computer, It isn't visible on any level even in Disk Utilities.

I waited for 2 months for this item to be available on amazon, its frustrating the drive has failed so quickly. I'm currently waiting for amazon to restock the drives so i can get a replacement.

I guess the only true way of ensuring your backups are safe is to buy multiple drives.
on 24 March 2013
This is the first 3TB drive I have purchased and it will not be the last, to add to the 4 x 2TB drives I have filled! The 2TB drives I rate 5*.

The only reason the 3TB is 4* is because the plug on the mini transformer is American/Continental fit and although optional alternatives, including U.K. 3 pin are shown in the instructions, they are not included in the pack.

Required a trip to Asda to get an adapter. Only circa £3.00 but annoying! Same problem with a pair of Sony wireless headphones I also purchased on Amazon.

Did not receive any comment from Amazon, so I assume nobody at Amazon ever reads the reviews!
on 22 April 2012
I've got this 3TB filled full of movies and tv shows purely for Apple TV. It's plugged into my iMac upstairs and constantly runs 24/7....2 months in and I can safely say it's a great hard drive.
I spent a lot of time looking at different versions and as this has dedicated power I decided to go for it.

I'm streaming using Apple TV perfectly. I can also sit on my iPad and watch anywhere in the house so long as the WIFI will get signal.

It is a little larger than I anticipated, so it's sat behind my desk completely hidden away. It does make a slight noise but as it's in my office I couldn't care really.

Go for it if you're considering this item.
I've been getting Western Digital external hard drive for the past few years ranging from their 1 & 2 TB passport sized external hard drives and needed something bigger. As my previous hard drives were reliable, I opted for this one. As the drive is a bigger capacity it needs a separate power supply so don't expect a particularly light portable drive but it's size is pretty small and the memory storage is a perfect size for backing up my movies. Being a USB 2.0, transfer rates are OK but nowhere near SATA or ESATA speeds. Great for backing up work though and small enough to store somewhere safe. I've had this one for a few months now and it's been working very reliably. I'm very pleased.