Customer reviews

on 11 October 2013
I've had this book for a while and hadn't gotten round to doing more than simply flicking through the pages. Originally I saw a reference to the Lord and Lady and dismissed it as a completely Wiccan book and therefore not of particular interest to me (no offence to Wiccans, I just have a different philosophy.)

I was wrong.

This is a charming book packed full of wonderful nuggets of information. There are recipes for seasonal meals, natural house cleaning suggestions, tree lore and herb lore, how to make natural dyes and a "how to" of all kinds of DIY incense, blessing oils, herbal teas, bath herbs, salves and cosmetics. The author includes old rhymes, for example one on the burning of different woods; a month-by-month look at the seasons; the Celtic months of the year; and all sorts of other interesting references. She ties in these things where she can to the different gods and goddesses that have been associated over the ages including Celtic, Roman, Greek and even a Lithuanian deity!

The book is basically a guide to how you might live your life by centering your witchcraft and any Pagan beliefs you have around the hearth, making it the living centre of your home. And while it is lovely to dream of a big roaring fire and all the trappings of a rural, idyllic lifestyle, the author makes a point of recognizing that most of us don't have these things and we buy things rather than grow or make them, and cook over an electric hob rather than in a cauldron over a fire.

You don't entirely escape the "an it harm none" or "Lord and Lady" but it does not in any way detract from the reading, and simply offers a view that we should protect and cherish our world. This book is definitely going to become a favourite of mine.
VINE VOICEon 19 January 2012
But I was a bit miffed because I can only give it 5 stars... anyway, amongst all the other new age witchy books we have this one, and it's jam packed with all sorts of things pertinent to the modern day hearth witch - history, recipes, eco cleaning and gardening - as well as just getting on with the daily business of being a witch. Anna Franklin has magic in the blood and bone and 'walks her talk' as the saying goes. Readers of 'Silver Wheel' magazine will know her already, but newcomers to the Craft will also find this an invaluable reference book. The only thing wrong with it is - I bought it on Kindle and now I have to get a paper copy - one for when I am 'in the field' as it were, the other for my special bookshelves. Okay, I fibbed, you might want other books but this one can't really be bettered. Recommended!
on 11 December 2012
Another fantastic book by Anne Franklin, I now have all her books and everyone is spot on great value there are few Pagan Authors I rate and Anne is at the top followed by Kate West then Scott Cunningham. Two books that I feel are a must are Chris Penczacs +The Witch's Shield and McCoys Sabbats.
on 8 January 2011
This brings us back some of the knowledge our grandmothers would have had... my mother who is 74 knew some of this, but in our modern world it's not something that would necessarily be handed down. I have found it most useful.
on 18 May 2016
5 stars in no way near enough for this book, i was gifted this, and i found it so hard to put down, its not oftern you find a book like this that gives such detail, easy to understand follow, wether you are new to this path or have been on this a while, its an invaluable reference book to have in your collection, the recipes are just great, and before i knew it i was out gathering things to try for my self, a highly recomended read,i can not wait to collect the other books Anna has written.
on 2 September 2015
Loved the fact this was an English book wrote by an English lady!
Fascinating read, seasons, wildlife facts.
I will dip into this book again and again .....
on 3 April 2015
A useful starting point for beginners interested in Hedge witchcraft.
on 12 March 2016