on 6 April 2016
Given this was 'supposedly' written by someone who has made his living by training others to negotiate I was not that impressed. It's very academic/theoretical and really negotiation is a very practical thing - I would have expected a lot more real world examples rather than the rather forgettable track it takes.

I think the book takes on an air to impress making itself out to be a lot more than it is and should be taken at face value.I'm not saying it's bad but I would have expected more from a 'negotiation guru'.
on 3 January 2014
The cases were interesting but a bit simple. A bookm like this needs some real testers and perhaps even some roleplays that can be acted out in groups. All a bit turgid.
on 23 October 2013
It is written in such a clear way, such that it is like having a conversation with a very experienced and well informed negotiator who wants to share all their wisdom. This type of book can be hard to read but this one is brought to life with examples and framework diagrams to make it easier to digest.

I'd recommend it.
on 31 May 2018
Another tool in the negotiation toolbox.
on 2 December 2016
Solid book and well referenced. A must have!
on 26 August 2015
Good basic primer for beginners
on 14 October 2014
Fabulous read, very informative and well structured guidance. A must-read
on 10 June 2013
I ve just started to read this book and I am very happy with the results. You can use in the professional way or in your the day by day.,
I recomend.
on 22 December 2015
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This a genuinely useful book, full of worthwhile and actionable advice that can help strengthen your hand in any negotiation you want to undertake. It strips away all the sentimentality and emotion, and presents the act of negotiation as a logical, rational act that helps contextualise your role in proceedings in a way that is much clearer than our monkey brains tend to assume from the beginning. It outlines the tactics you can use, as well as the ones that will be used against you, and as such prepares you for treating negotiation as more like a game of chess than a fraught emotional argument. My only criticism of it is that it is very 'business' heavy and some of the advice provided would not work in less hard-nosed settings - it could have done with a little more consideration of the edge-cases where negotiation is important but the assumptions are different (such as my own edge-case of academia). I know it's not possible for any book to be fully comprehensive, but I felt this missed opportunity because I was thinking all the way through 'Yes, but what about people in my environment?'.

Very much recommended though.
One person found this helpful
on 16 December 2015
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Very business and money orientated. There is advice that might help you, say, get a better price if you are buying a house but there is little to help with an interpersonal dispute with a teenaged child or even a boss. There are lots of acronyms, models, diagrams, lists and devices. Bits from Transactional Analysis and all sorts of business theory. It is quite easy to flick through and you might find some great tips for a particular situation by flicking through. But it does not make for an easy read from cover to cover. Altogether it is a bit macho for my taste. I am definitely more comfortable on the collaborative side of his " clock face" and I am not a big business finance person so I have that luxury to stick by my values.
2 people found this helpful