on 20 January 2013
I've read this book several times and I can't get sick of it. It portrays the Cariocas (people from Rio) using the point of view of a gringa who lives in Rio. It's a fantastic book, so funny and so down-to-earth and true! Unfortunately some things are out of date (maybe a revised edition should be written?!) and there are quite a lot of spelling mistakes (that the paperback doesn't have, only the Kindle edition); however, it is still very entertaining. I lived all my life in Rio and I can say its view of the traditions in Rio and in different parts of Brazil is extremely faithful and well described. I totally recommend this book to people before, during and after visiting Rio!!!
on 25 May 2011
I find this little book a gem. Not only does it provide you with information that is useful, but I love the humorous writing style with a touch of kind irony. The only problem is that after reading it I wish I was in Rio already, but unfortunatelly that has to wait...in the meantime I am happy to have this book to bring me closer to what it feels like being in Rio.
on 14 February 2013
Having spent three weeks in Rio, one during Carnival and two outside Carnival time I really enjoyed this book. As prep prior to arrival in Rio it may be of slight use but I tihnk it is more useful as amusing holiday read or post Rio as a reminder of good times.
on 26 July 2013
I did not find this book very interesting at all - it would be OK for younger people in their twenties, thankfully it was short so did not take long to read. Its not very amusing either.
on 5 August 2015