Style Name: 5-Port|Change

on 20 June 2012
Cisco make good network equipment, however in the world of dumb unmanaged switched there is not a lot of difference. Many of the manufacturers make good non managed switches but this one is a really mice one. You can switch the LED's off if they are obtrusive. The design is nice and modern and the low profile means it can sit just about anywhere.

I have this uplinked to another switch which in then goes to an ADSL modem. Speeds across the switch are consistent, I move Gb's of data and also stream at the same time and this handles it all well without a hiccup. I have never have to touch it since installing.

Despite my earlier comment of unmanaged switches being much of a muchness I am glad I paid a little extra for this one, it is stylish, reliable and I really cannot find a fault with it.
on 27 December 2011
Pleased with this purchase following a positive review in a computer magazine
I needed my Apple TV device, BluRay player, Satellite box and internet TV to share a single ethernet port in my lounge (router is upstairs)
All can happily access the internet now.
on 14 October 2012
One of the many problems with Linksys products is they are owned by CISCO and CISCO just love to fiddle. I have always liked CISCO and Linksys products because they will often provide ways to fine tune your installation if you are a bit of a geek and doing something a little out of the ordinary but not this product.
It is small, has a useful 8 ports, the lights flash when traffic passes and it, we'll, just gets on with the job. No setup needed, it's just simple plug 'n' play.
It's nice that he front does not like up like a Christmas tree in operation. No annoying lights flashing away in the corner. It just works; silently and without drawing any attention to itself.

It has the now compulsory non-boxy case which while nice in itself does mean you can't put anything on top of it - it would slip off.
Call me old fashioned if you like but I see little point in turning these functional items into works of art; you don't invite friends around to admire your router afterall. It's just something else to polish once a week.
But at least it's not one of those annoying vertical boxes that never fit anywhere and always fall over!
on 15 April 2012
I have a large amount of equipment running through the house that requires a lot of network connectivity. Which is the norm these days. I had a couple of 10/100 switches but they couldn't really handle the higher definition video streaming so had to upgrade.

I bought 2 of these about 3 months ago and they are superb. As an IT engineer I work with a lot of it devices and decided to go with a device that was made by Cisco as they are the brand we use in our business IT environment.

I would def recommend. They are a little but expensive but you do get what you pay for. I am also glad I paid the little bit extra to have the 8 port instead of the 5.
on 23 August 2011
I originally was looking for a 5 port Netgear gigabit switch to sit next to my router (which as most routers do, only has a 100mbit hub built in) but ended up going for this, mainly on price and looks.

I can say however that it's perfect for what I needed. It's also very small and easy to hide, you can even switch off the connection/activity lights if it's in a location where these could be annoying... a great feature that will sit well with any guys wife!

I also tested its throughput vs my existing GS108 (Netgear 8 port gigabit switch) and it was almost identical, so all in all, I'm very happy!!
on 31 July 2012
With a growing number of wired connections required by networked hard disc drives, music streamers, and homeplugs, I decided that an 8-port Gigabit switch was called for. With an existing Cisco/Linksys router it seemed that my best bet would be to go for a switch by the same manufacturer - albeit the cost is rather more than some competing devices by other manufacturers.

Following Amazon's usual speedy delivery I connected the switch to my router, and then connected the range of network devices to the switch. All went effortlessly with no need for any complicated setting-up. The switch sorted itself out perfectly and has now been running without any problems for some weeks.

Recommended.
on 15 September 2012
Great product. I upgraded from a Linksys 10/100 switch, which had beeen in the loft for years. One day I suddenly realised that I was getting 100mbs connection (Virgin media fibre optics) but between computers and the bakup the connection was crawling. I fitted the new switch, had lots of positive comments about speed increase and forgot about it until now.

Great value product from a great manufacturer. Fit in seconds and forget.
on 31 October 2013
I have a desktop PC and a HP proliant Microserver both with Gigabit NICs connected to this switch using CAT6a cables.

Using iperf with default settings to measure bandwidth performance I can see the following results:

[ ID] Interval Transfer Bandwidth
[ 4] 0.0-10.0 sec 1.10 GBytes 941 Mbits/sec

10 sec, over 1GB @ 940Mbits/sec. It's fast, reliable and looks good sitting on top of the server. I would recommend.
on 19 October 2015
Brought this product to extend the 10/100/1000 port on the back of my BT Home Hub 3 to more devices. This has performed exactly as expected from a Linksys/Cisco product, the addition of the "night mode" button (turns the activity lights off on the back of the unit) means that you can set it up anywhere and just forget about it.

Great little switch for home use, would recommend.
on 22 June 2014
I've purchased lots of switches/hubs in my lifetime.

This functions just as good as any 8-port gigabit switch from any major manufacturer.

However, what sets it apart if the looks - all other switches have lights (power and network activity) in the front. Normally, this is a good thing as you can see what it connected and at what speed. This unit however, has them at the back.

I had a requirement where a switch needed to sit in a glass cabinet below the tv. The blinking lights were a huge distraction. This unit solved the problem.