Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop now Learn More Shop Women's Shop Men's

Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£4.99

on 8 December 2003
I first read this book some twenty years ago on a train to London about to embark on my career in Higher Education. For the first time in my life I laughed out loud at a book. I sat on the train in public and could not help laughing at nearly every page, until tears streamed down my face. Tom Sharpes sartorial humour had not been surpassed since. Plumbers four, blow up dolls and further educationalists have never been the same since. Hugely funny.
on 23 May 2004
Let's cut to the chase, this book along with Riotous assembly are without doubt the funniest books i've ever read.
Unlike the other Sharpe books (which are nowhere as good i hasten to add) you will find that once you've started you cannot put them down.My wife,i'm sure, contemplated having me admitted under the mental health act, such were my outbursts of laughter.
Buy both these books, you will read them again and again.
This is an hilarious book that will have you curled up in stitches for hours. It tells the story of one Henry Wilt. A nobody, unnoticed by the world and lumbered in marriage to the formidable Eva, he spends his days as a college lecturer trying to keep day release students quiet for an hour and dreaming of being `someone'.

Into his boring life explodes an American couple, who befriend Eva. Suddenly Wilt's life will never be the same again as he finds himself involved with a rubber doll and accused of a triple murder. In typical Sharpe style we start with a set of innocuous circumstances, then gradually via a series of entirely plausible small steps we are suddenly launched into a bizarre and hilarious circumstances. Wilt's world is turned upside down almost without our noticing.

The results, as Wilt tries to find his way out of his circumstances are a joy to read. I cannot even think of his police interviews with Inspector Flint without curling up in laughter. Wilt calls on all his experience dealing with day release classes to run rings round the police, and confound them at every turn. And when he comes to make up a confession, his years of daydreaming suddenly have a use.

It's a screamingly funny book, not as anarchic of some of Sharpe's other works, but the series of character studies work wonderfully, giving a series of well drawn people. This attention to the characters and the clash of the various personalities is the source of much of the humour and works extremely well.

A classic tale and one that will definitely have you laughing.
on 20 February 2017
It's brilliant satire at its finest. Superb book full of hilarious twists and turns. Indecent Exposure is the sequel to the equally magnificent Riotous Assembly. Taking place in the town of Piemburg, the local police force under the command of Kommandant van Heerden deal with saboteurs, communists, state secret security, exploding ostriches and the English - all in the pursuit of "a perfect South Africa". One of the funniest books ever written.
on 1 May 2013
This has to be one of the funniest books I have ever read. It was recommended to me by a relative but I didn't really take a lot of notice until one day I thought ok I will try a sample on my Kindle. I read that and realised it would be worth reading the book. I am so glad I did. I don't think I have ever read anything that has made me laugh out loud before but this book did. At one point I was crying with laughter. I will certainly be getting more books about Wilt and more books by Tom Sharpe. His way of writing is great, he writes as though these things really happen. You can certainly believe that they could happen. I loved this book and would recommend it to anyone.
on 22 September 2011
Terrific story! This is the sequel to "Riotous Assembly," so if you have not read either, it's best to read that first and meet all the characters first. Still it works well as a standalone, a picture of Old South Africa, Boers v. English v. blacks. And exploding ostriches of course.

Oh its absolutely filthy, not for the kiddies. I can be a bit tetchy about rude humour, but this completely works!

Outrageous, bawdy, and violent. What more do you want?
on 9 December 2016
I enjoyed the book - it was written in farce style, especially at the beginning. Whilst still being extremely amusing in the later chapters, there was a deeper character analysis of Wilt. I would not now re-read it but I guess that it started a cult at the time it was written. I certainly laughed out loud at the beginning of the book - sheer farce. I expect Wilt's character gained a whole lot of sympathy and then grudging admiration as the book progressed. The process of demolishing his police interrogation was wonderful.
on 6 March 2017
Just read it for the second time (many years later) and again found it the funniest book I have ever read. Having a lecturers background added to some authenticity, but the descriptions of funny incidents are the highlight - for me! Maybe not for everybody for humor can be personal
on 8 June 2007
Henry Wilt hasn't been promoted in ten years of work in further education. He is also down trodden somewhat by his wife Eva... or so it seems. Then the pair go to some pseudo intellectuals party (the Pringsheims) and all hell breaks loose after the hostess sets Wilt up in a compromising position with an inflatable doll after Wilt refuses to have sex with her. Following the discovery by Eva she buggers off with the Pringsheims leaving Henry to his increasingly warped thoughts. Soon he hatches a plan murder Eva at the risk of him being made to look a fool over the doll furore... this feeling is fuelled when Eva posts him another doll. Wilt decides to use it in place of Eva in a dummy murder run dumping it down a shaft at the tech where he works. Then when the builders are about to fill the hole they spot the doll and a hilarious story ensues. A must read!
on 21 April 2010
This book is a classic. It is such a good satire on the dumbing down of education and the mickey mouse degree culture, plus it skewers the pretentsions of the middle classes; however these days colleges are so female-dominated it is unlikely Wily would be a lecturer in an English department because many are male-free zones. It is a bit dated, and some women think this book is sexist (i do not though); a modern and darker version would be 'Crump' or 'A Campus Comedy', those there are not so Wodehousian as Sharpe. The novels from the 70s that Tom Sharpe wrote are classics - I love them all, but love this one especially because I am involved with education.