Customer reviews

Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£4.99

on 30 April 2017
Easy to read. This is a book loaded with information but presented in an easy to read way. I have read this book a few times now and it always makes me feel good like a walk in the woods. Rogers style is like a friendly chat about local histories and areas around the UK, with an infectious desire for wild swimming, the love of pure nature and wild places. Highly recommended.
on 2 November 2016
Just a perfect book to not only read, but to inspire you to do more. I swam throughout September and October in open water in all weathers because of this book. Roger Deakin wasn't eccentric, he was a man who wanted to experience water, and it comes across so well in this book. I loved reading it, then swimming.
on 8 October 2013
The loveliest of books. Like Jerome's Three Men in a Boat, the book is a series of vignettes about Deakin's travels, though with no element of fiction. As with Jerome, so Deakin can evoke the environment around him with aching accuracy, painting the scene in a few well-chosen words. The events related, happening over a year or so of guerilla-like swimming sorties, are widely varied in tone and texture. I still hoot with delight at the John Le Mesurier story, feel the pain of Deakin at Tesco's in Bury St Edmunds and remain shocked at the story of the encounter with a fox - a meeting so vividly described that I could read no further for some minutes. Like Three Men in a Boat, this is a book that can be read and re-read for the pleasure of familiar anecdotes and the delight of finding something new.
on 30 April 2010
I was not particularly interested in swimming when I bought this having read "Wildwood". It is wonderful book, which I have recommended to many friends, but when trying to describe the subject they seemed uninterested. This book is about so much more than swimming in wild places; it's a reflection upon our culture and conformity, something I suspect Deakin (rightly) questioned. This is a beautiful book and should be read. Having read all three of Deakin's books, I would reckon this his magnum opus, which is not to say the others are worse but this is best. Definitely in my top ten of books I have enjoyed reading.
on 2 November 2013
This book was quite hard to get into but once you're in there just dive right in. I lost myself imagining all the amazing swimming locations, you smell the air, taste the salty sea or feel the grassy cold waters around you, and imagine all the people that had swam before in these locations. Got me hooked on wild swimming though.
on 22 April 2017
Another excellent book from Mr Deakin, interesting and amusing.
on 16 July 2011
Roger's fascination with wild swimming bordered on obsession at times, which I found a little unnerving. However, the book is full of good descriptive passages, centering around his chosen venues, which truly enhances the reader's experience. I would heartily recommend Waterlog to anyone with, even the remotest, interest in wild swimming.
on 18 May 2017
A very enjoyable book. Sensitively written. He has a brilliant way with words about the outdoor world.
on 30 May 2017
Free swimming book at its best.
on 18 February 2015
Beautifully written, nostalgic. Author is obviously passionate about his subject. A good "comfort read".