Format: Audio CD|Change

I have felt compelled to write a review about this album. Compelled because people have always treated Nicola as the " Ginger One " in Girl's Aloud, or they've been more denigrating on other occasions. This sort of music (Pure Pop) is really not my sort of music,(refer to my other reviews to see what I mean), but I have to say, I love it!!! What's she's managed to achieve here, is a smart collection of song's, that show of her vocal ability very well. I particularly liked the " cover " of ' Everybody's Gotta Learn Sometimes ', that was a nice surprise. The album deserves to do well and I hope people give it a chance. Listen without Prejudice!!!
on 9 October 2011
This album is like nothing I've ever heard before. Nicola is truly unique, brilliant and talented. She has a fantastic voice, a unique look and isn't afraid to follow the same overdone pop format. Every song is well thought out and compliment each other fabulously. She has received (completely undue) criticism over the years for being the 'ugliest' member of Girls Aloud. Personally, I think she is the most admirable, the most talented and the most identifiable and is beautiful in her own right. Forget your Cheryl Coles and Nadine Coyles, Nicola is different and she's pushing the boundaries with this album. I would recommend it to anyone, even if you're not a fan of Girls Aloud (I'm not really). This album takes a completely different direction. Well done Nicola.
on 2 October 2011
this album is easily the best album of 2011. it's absoloutly fabulous. this is how i rate the tracks:
beat of my drum-the debut single, i like the catchiness of it although it isn't the best song ever
lucky day- another single, it's more generic than the other track but still good
yo-yo- i like this track it's more like girls aloud than the others although it's still different
cinderella's eyes- catchy upbeat and includes very high singing which is amazing
porcelin heart-this track was leaked on youtube a while ago and is one of the strongest vocals
i- a really nice rhythm to it and is also very original
everybody's gotta learn sometime- a cover from an old song, very well sang
say it out loud- not the best track on the album but meaningful lyrics
gladiator- this track is about her experience on popstars the rivals and is amazingly catchy and one of my favourite tracks
fish out of water- very individual and really good lyrics again a favourite of mine
take a bite- talks about how cruel the press were to her in the past,ver very good track
sticks and stone- my favourite track on the album, i think it will be a single, about bullying, amazing amazing amazing!
this album is great but what i will say is that three great tracks have been cut from it, the b-sides for the singles disco blisters & a comedown and fix me, and another leaked track dance in the rain. get this album if you like electro pop, it's quite different from girls aloud but is the most amazing solo project compared to cheryl and nadine
on 1 October 2011
Utterly amazing album! One of the most exciting new artists for a while, from Girls Aloud?!? Who knew?! Do not succumb to prejudice. I am not a fan of the band. Believe me when I tell you that this album is brilliant on merit alone. Even my doubting friends have been converted. Alternative electro pop with heart and intelligence. Unexpected. Should be number one and definitely deserves some awards. Fabulous.
on 23 October 2011
I have to admit to not being particularly interested when I heard Nicola was releasing a solo album; but in retrospect that had nothing to do with her abilities and a lot more to do with Cheryl's and Nadine's lacklustre solo efforts. Cheryl's debut album had a couple of decent tracks but her sophomore effort was dull. And Nadine's album was totally unremarkable and instantly forgettable. So, I realised I came to Nicola's album expecting another soulless, over-produced piece of pop fluff.
I had not heard either of Nicola's singles from this album and, subsequently, when Beat of My Drum started playing I thought my initial thoughts were being proved correct. While the track is quirky vocally I felt it was like Steps-on-acid. My thoughts didn't improve when Lucky Day started...but then something strange started to happen as Lucky Day was playing: I realised I was actually really enjoying the song and her quirky vocals. From that point something in my head clicked and the rest of the album was simply stunning. The day it arrived I played it non-stop and I can honestly say that it's one of the best albums I've heard this year. As another reviewer mentioned: there are definite elements of Kate Bush (who, in my opinion, is the best female recording artist of all time); but there are also touches of Girls Aloud and people such as Katy Perry and Eliza Dolittle. This is not to say that this isn't totally Nicola's album, because it's a very personal piece of work and one I think she should be incredibly proud of. She really has proven that she is the one with the talent. Hopefully, if you read this Nicola, you will be happy with this reviewer's "comments on the internet". Even thought I think the weakest tracks have been released as singles, this album deserves to be a massive hit! Standout tracks: Cinderella's Eyes, I, Sticks + Stones, Take a Bite and Porcelain Heart.
on 2 October 2011
I will not say much . This is one of the best album of 2011 . The voice is surprising , every song's perfect and catchy . I 'm not a girls band fan but i admit i was really impressed by nicola roberts .
on 23 November 2011
This album is a strange mix of trance pop, feels a bit 80s. I really like the mix of styles which showcase Nicola's voice in different ways. She really can change her voice to suit each song, which shows that she's a really strong, decent singer. She hits some amazing notes too like I've never heard her do when she was in the background of Girls Aloud (not a fan of their music actually!).

As a strong listener of heavy rock music, it's almost unheard of for me to like pop songs never mind BUY a whole pop album, but that's what I did because I like Nicola so much. I think she has real talent and is a great role model as a person too; PALE SKIN IS COOL!

So even if a rock fan can be turned, you can too!
on 25 April 2012
This is a fun "Pop" album that has a little edge to it. Nicola Roberts is probably the most underrated of Girls Aloud , with Cole being the most over rated. The Album is generally light hearted with a little bit of social commentary, with a hint of sarcasm. It is BY FAR the best album from an ex member of Girls Aloud.
on 18 October 2011
This album is amazing. It's such a coherent piece of work. The songs are meaningful, ranging from fun to beautiful. There's such relatable lyrics, since Nicola wrote it from personal experiences. It's such an unique album, you can feel Nicola was the driving force behind it, she put her soul and delivered it. I love it so much I bought one for myself and one for my best friend.
on 8 June 2015
I have only just discovered Cinderella Eyes CD and i truly hope Nicola Roberts will go forth with a second album. Her voice is astounding and it is one of those voices that requires recognition, potentially in the Neneh Cherry category. I very rarely hear a voice that make me want to keep listening because of it.
The album is also very good, a must have CD for the HIFI enthusiast. It is one of those recording gems, for those of you interested in HIFI, my ATC100ASL speakers bring the best out of Nicolas Voice.