on 1 September 2012
Naturally when you have a tiny Raspberry Pi, you start looking for equally diminutive accessories for it, and this Lilliput 668GL monitor fits the bill perfectly. Although I think designed for mounting on top of Digital SLR's when shooting video, the fact that it has a HDMI input makes it well suited to the RPi.

It comes with a sun shade (probably not that useful for RPi owners) and a handy little stand that screws in using a standard camera tripod size screw. The stand appears to have a self-adhesive base if you wanted to permanently affix it to something, but in my case I just use it as a desk stand.

A surprising extra bonus is that the flat battery plate on the rear of the monitor is exactly the right size to velcro your RPi to if you have a suitable micro case for it - all I need now is a 6" HDMI cable rather than the half metre one I'm using right now...

It's a versatile little monitor too - in addition to HDMI it has 2 composite video inputs on BNC and even component video - although the days of needing that, even in professional video land, are probably over. The additional inputs are nicely protected by some well fitting plastic dust caps which means for those of us just using the HDMI, everything else is well covered up.

The power adapter that arrived was US fitting, but there was a travel adapter in the box which works just fine - but perhaps hints that the unit wasn't originally destined for the UK market.

The monitor also comes with a little remote control that gives you easy access to a menu that lets you adjust colour temperatures, flip the image (handy if you are ceiling mounting it maybe) and various other functions.

All in all, I think it's a great little monitor for the Rasberry Pi and clearly has more traditional uses too.
11 Comment| 15 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 12 December 2016
I purchased this monitor to accompany my cameras that I take video with (mostly a Canon Legria HF-G30). I place it on a bracket to the side of the camera and mainly use it to make sure I am focusing correctly. Pros; the screen is large enough to see the scene properly and there is very little glare, you can focus accurately when using 'manual focus' on the camera. Cons; The colours/brightness are not calibrated to camera by default, the battery takes a long time to charge and does not last very long-plus you have to unscrew the unit to get it in/out, the audio is on by default which feeds back when you first switch on (now I just press Mute on the remote), The full info & zebras don't show up on the monitor (only on camera's screen) and I cannot get it to work on my Panasonic Lumix G6 at all (but it does work on my Nikon D600). Conclusion; if you are looking for a budget monitor that generally works well then buy this one but bear in mind it won't have the functionality of more expensive monitors.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 25 July 2014
The Monitor was purchased to obtain a better view of what the video camera is seeing, also to help with manual focusing. After a lot of head scratching regarding mounting the unit I decided to use a small tripod to mount the monitor independently . This enables me to turn the camera without having to move myself. Filming a live stage show recently I was able to turn the camera through 180 degrees and film the audience reaction, without the need to stand up and get behind the camera.
Watching recorded footage on the camera is much easier on the Lilliput's 7 inch screen than using the camera's screen.

The unit arrived well packed and very promptly. It is very easy to set up and use. If you are making films or just filming family parties this is a useful addition to your kit.
on 23 May 2017
I got it back in November and it's been working fine until last week when all of a sudden it got broken without any reason.
The monitor was placed on a metal arm connected to the camera. It was using the internal battery and was plugged into the camera via HDMI. In the middle of a shoot, the monitor turned onto a blue screen with brighter blur horizontal lines. I switched out cables and problem persisted. The problem persisted even while nothing was plugged into the monitor. It has never been dropped or hit off anything.
I am very disappointed as I expected this product to last for longer than only half a year.
I would appreciate a replacement or a refund, as I have bought this item believing it would last.
on 14 February 2014
Having bought a Hague Handi Jib to help extend the reach of my camcorder to get both high and low level shots one of the issues I have found is then seeing what Im shooting! So I've been looking for an off camera monitor for some time and this was recommended to me by Jessops.

Initially my impression was that it was quite plasticy for a relatively expensive piece of kit, but the picture quality seems excellent using the hdmi output from my camera, and the additional inputs look like I can probably use it with an older camera once I find my bnc cables!

This package does not include cables by the way, and I'm a little concerned that the tripod threads in the casing will stand up to prolonged use as they appear to be simply moulded into the plastic. The clip on sun shade is bigger than it looks, but I'll be buying an additional one.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 20 June 2013
This is an extremely useful screen for a variety of uses - I have not tried it with a camera - but tested them with Raspberry Pi computers. It has very good connectors on the back and the internal battery means it is useful as a portable screen (as long as your fonts are not too small! It does have some rather fiddly modes - designed to make it easier to see in daylight - and we found these irritating when we just needed a screen. Also for unnatended computer displays be aware that it may need to be turned on with a hardware hack.

The description says "Max 1920×1080 pixels" but that is just what you can put INTO it - not what it can display (it has a resolution roughly half that) - but full HD would be a bit of a waste anyway....
on 28 April 2014
For the price, this a great little monitor. Good clear picture. The only reason I gave 4 stars is that to change the battery you need to unscrew the back with a screwdriver and plug a battery in with a lead. I bought an extra battery as filming outside most of the day. If you only have on for 2 hours you can get by with charge up of one battery that is done with battery in situ (no need to remove battery)
on 7 June 2016
well worth the money but there is a newer version for the same price available.Lilliput model numbers decrease with new models!!
on 11 October 2016
Really good monitor,I'm using the monitor for my ps4,no problem very good quality,(note: if the battery Simbal pop out ,you can remove it pressing AV bottom for 5 seconds and it will go)
on 23 March 2013
Cannot read text at edge of screen with Raspberry Pi. Good for reviewing camera images. Good for satellite receiver previewer, and as second monitor on laptop (with SVGA - HDMI converter), so money was not wasted