on 2 December 2015
fantastic tack sharp best lens i have ever had for my nikon d7100 and i have 8 other lens its heavy you wll have to use a tripd for best results have
just got the samyang 135.f2 its brill
i am 66 now and have been tacking photos from the age of 18 years old
on 24 July 2014
This is my go to lens. I film weddings and this lens never comes off the camera. It has a smooth focus ring which is perfect for shooting video.

If there was any negative is that it takes a lot of practice to perfect taking sharp images as it is manual focus, but for the price you are paying for a 35mm 1.4 one can't really complain.

DON'T HESITATE BUY IT!
on 14 March 2017
love it
on 18 August 2014
Style: For Canon|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This lens is very heavy with a metal mount and has a serious, quality feel to it.

It is fully manual; aperture as well as focus are controlled manually, and the lens has no communication with the camera at all.

The aperture ring will open up to f/1.4, and at this aperture the lens lets in a lot of light (so can be good to use with the available light in low light conditions) but the depth of field is extremely thin. With portrait subjects (35mm being a reasonable focal length for wider portraits on a crop-sensor camera like my 50D or the more recent 1200D, 700D or 70D), it means it's extremely important to get the focus right (generally on the subject's eyes) - otherwise it's possible for example the hair will be in focus but the eyes blurry. Unless you've upgraded your camera with a manual-style split focusing screen, achieving good focus at f/1.4 probably entails using live view and zooming in to see the details well enough. If the camera or subject move even a little at f/1.4, you'll need to refocus. With the lens stopped down a little, the depth of field is deeper and therefore it's much easier to hit a good focus; and down at f/8 to f/11 it makes a nice 'standard lens' on a crop-sensor camera.

Because the aperture ring is right up against the body of the camera, it's hard to adjust quickly; you generally do have to take your eye away from the viewfinder to do it. The focus ring in contrast has a very smooth movement and is a pleasure to use.

The bokeh (the quality of the out of focus areas of the image) is very good indeed, rivalling even my Jupiter 9 85mm (which has 15 aperture blades). Blurred areas of the image are very smooth and add to the feel of the images.

The sharpness of the in-focus areas is extremely good in the centre and still good in the corners even at f/1.4, contrast is good and colour rendition is acceptable although to me has a certain 'feel' to it that stands out but is hard to pin down exactly why.

I would never use this lens for general photography; at higher aperture numbers it doesn't perform that much better than my standard zoom lens - but the standard zoom offers a lot of additional flexibility in comparison. However for portraits or any other image where you're shooting at wide apertures and want to separate your subject from the background using depth of field, it's very strong and worth considering, particularly due to the excellent bokeh; if I wanted to take a full-body portrait with a blurred background it would probably be my first choice.
on 12 January 2015
I've had this lens for a few weeks now and found it pretty hard to get used to. It's a great lens, great build quality, lovely bokeh and can produce super sharp photos. I think it's a great lens and I would recommend it :) the only things is its slightly heavy.
on 3 April 2016
This, as with the three other Samyang lenses I have is outstanding for the price. It's as sharp as you can get for such a low price. When you have used one of these lenses you will see how great they are compared to kit lenses. yes they are all manual settings but it's easy and I'm no professional. Set the aperture on the lens, set the ISO on the camera and use the cameras light meter to set shutter speed if that's below 1/60th of a second you may need to raise the ISO or use a tripod adjust the focus till sharp and then take the shot.
You will not get a lens as good as this for under £600 from Canon or Nikon
review image review image
on 4 May 2016
Amazing lens and compliments Pentax's New K1 camera perfectly ! the sharpness from it is simply amazing this version also comes with the auto aperture control pin which I did not expect.

The lens is quite heavy, but I suppose that's the price you pay for good glass.

Focus ring is smooth, and actually allot better than some of the Pentax lenses I own.

If you after a budget friendly lens with astonishing image quality stop reading this and buy !
review image
on 4 March 2017
Buy it!! Don't think twice it's that good.

If Manual Focus deters you then still buy it. As it will make you concentrate and a better Photographer.
Pictures speak thousand words..I am not a Professional Photographer and If I can get such good results the with little practice you can get better.
It's Razor sharp, lots of light and I prefer this over 85mm f1.4. I use an APSC sensor (Nikon D7100 mount).

Great VFM.
review image review image review image review image review image
on 28 June 2016
I bought this lens primarily for landscape photos using it with my Pentax K1.
On my APS-C bodies I'd previously used the 35mm Limited lens, a little gem, but this is waaaaaay bigger! However, it's not an issue and balances well for handheld use. Focus ring is smooth and well damped, although it focuses slightly past the infinity mark, again though this isn't an issue and easily overcome. It's also very sharp, probably one of the sharpest lenses I have used and produces lovely bokeh and colour rendition. I've used it a lot since purchasing it and sometimes it's the only lens I take out with me for a challenge! I'd have no hesitation in recommending this lens and may well make additional purchases of Samyang lenses.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 18 January 2016
Bought this to film Dance music events with my Canon D600/T3i. Used it several events now and its outstanding, although you'll 100% need a rig as its very heavy! Don't bother with the 'video' version you can find on here as its exactly the same as this one. The video versions description says it differs in that its de-clicked but this one is as well.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse