on 15 December 2012
I purchased this book as I thought it was actually a completely different book. But I will read anything so I gave it a go. It is hard work. I have not as yet finished it and doubt whether I will. It is very descriptive of Hell, and how it functions, and follows a few characters who have been there for a couple of thousand years, one who seems able to wander at will throughout the different levels, meeting the various demons and imps that are there to inflict torture for eternity. It isn't written badly, it just didn't drag me in, but this is not to say that you might not find it fascinating.
on 19 June 2013
The blurb drew me into buying the book, but I've been disappointed. I simply don't care about the characters or their torment. One reviewer wrote about the author's clinical style - maybe that's the problem. It certainly isn't character driven, as there is little attempt to depict character - and the narrative arc is very slow to get under way. It seems to be the description of events in a surreal setting from a detached, distanced perspective. I haven't finished it yet, and it seems increasingly unlikely that I will, as I've gone on to other reading material.
on 6 April 2015
I don't understand how this rates so highly. It's a good idea for a story but the writing is ridiculously simple and step by step an eight year old would manage it. Read Dante - much more interesting
on 26 February 2014
I found the book to be so confusing at times that I had to flick a few pages back to understand what the writer was talking about.
on 21 February 2015
ok
on 6 March 2016
What an extraordinary tale
on 8 February 2013
Chance buy when bored... What a fun series! Dante's hell made real! If you like discworld you should like this. It's not a comedy but the world and creatures are well constructed like in discworld.
on 16 January 2013
This is a fantastic book.....could not put it down......had to read from cover to cover as quickly as possible - fantastic