Customer reviews

on 3 July 2011
A quality product by a known and tested company. I kayak and this sits in my pdf pocket. Good performance-able to contact coastguard at Falmouth over 30 miles away bearing in mind my height from sea is only a couple of feet. Batterylife seems good. works when wet, floats [tested] and simple enough.
on 21 December 2013
Item could not be better great quality works perfect best on the market and floats if dropped in the water very robust and could save my life. Is very well priced thanks very much A+++++
on 4 July 2011
Handy small mobile VHF with good clear reception and it does float and flash as it claims! Unlike my last one it is possible to hear the count down for the start clearly which is a good feature for a small open racing boat with lots going on. The Squelch control is a little difficult to apply if you do not have good close up eyesight (I do not wear reading glasses when racing) but I have got the hang of it now. It has Channel 37 and the other racing channels as used in UK. Amazon price was the best I could see online.
on 13 April 2012
Whilst attending an RYA powerboat course, I made careful observations of the equipment used by the instructors.
Items included this Icom M-33 radio with a HM-165 waterproof speaker microphone; Musto BR2 Offshore jacket and trousers and a Spinlock Deckvest lifejacket.

The radio is easy to use, lightweight and the battery holds its charge well - I bought it from Amazon directly for £110, the cheapest I have found anywhere.

An excellent, value for money item that is required for safe operation of watercraft in the UK and overseas.
on 12 July 2012
This is an excellent value for money handheld that does everything required and if you want to play around with it you can probably get it to just about anything you wish.

I would recommend it to anyone who needs a handheld.
on 9 August 2015
Got this from Mailspeed Marine as it was cheaper. Tried it yesterday from my kayak off Aberystwyth and picked up 3 Coastguard stations in Wales which gave me a lot of confidence in its capability. Haven't tried the flash and float but have no reason to doubt that it works as the radio seems to be a very robust unit.
on 29 September 2015
The only point I would make is that I needed it for use on a private channel and I had not realised that you need to get specific private channels programmed in - It has not lessened my appreciation of the model, however.
on 9 December 2013
good item, needed for singles sea rowing to tuck away into my safety bag, only gripe would be ariael feels as if with a bit of bending it wouldn't stand up for long and just didn't feel that sturdy
on 29 September 2015
This is a fantastic little machine. Does exactly what it says on the tin. It is small and light weight but it gives good reception and the battery has a long life.
on 18 February 2013
Great radio goes the job, had no issues what so ever would recommend this to everyone. All i can say is buy it you wont be dissapointed.